Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

salto_jorge

Feb 20, 2012, 3:10 PM

Post #1 of 5 (5797 views)

Shortcut

Home inspectors in Guadalajara

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am having a problem at my home in GDL and believe that I need an inspector to tell me what the problem can be and how to fix it.

Problem: One wall of our place, touches the enclosing wall of our complex/coto and has moisture wicking through it.

Please let me know if you know someone that does these kinds of inspections.

chinagringo

Feb 20, 2012, 3:59 PM

Post #2 of 5 (5788 views)

Shortcut

Re: [salto_jorge] Home inspectors in Guadalajara

J. Brad Grieve

J. Brad Grieve is a professional civil engineer who has lived and worked in the Lake Chapala area since 1994. He is the owner of Ajijic Home Inspections and you can be reach him by phone: (376) 766-2836 or e-mail.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Sculptari

Feb 21, 2012, 7:52 AM

Post #3 of 5 (5747 views)

Shortcut

Re: [salto_jorge] Home inspectors in Guadalajara

Can't Post |
Unless the inspector has a ground penetrating radar (or x-ray vision) this would be a complete waste of money. At best a home inspector may know the time the house was built, and by whom, and then give a rough opinion - nothing to an engineer's level or even a licensed home inspector's level in Canada or the U.S.

Your best bet would be an experienced roofing contractor who is used to fixing and tracking water leaks. It is most likely the lack of a waterproof barrier (usually a rubber sheeting or less effective coating). If you are extremely lucky they may be able to inject something. Otherwise it has to dug out and put proper. The British call this battle 'rising damp' which I always thought was a good term.
no longer active on Mexconnect

Rolly

Feb 21, 2012, 10:00 AM

Post #4 of 5 (5731 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sculptari] Home inspectors in Guadalajara

I agree with Sculptari. I had the same problem in my house. A simple fix on the roof took care of it.

Rolly Pirate

salto_jorge

Feb 21, 2012, 10:45 AM

Post #5 of 5 (5718 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Home inspectors in Guadalajara

The builder tried to tell us that is was due to something on the other side of the wall.
Almost like the people on the other side of the enclosing coto wall did something to "their" side.
I did hear that the people who built the coto, did have issues with the neighbors ( Since the coto sits where several houses were taken down in a row).
We can see some of the other side of the wall where the moisture is from our roof top and look into their yard and cannot see anything.
I have never been on the property behind the coto wall or talked to the neighbors over there, maybe I should.

I had thought about digging a hole at the footer for the wall and looking for water.

The roof is the easiest place to check, we have a sloped tile roof over the master bedroom near the area where the moisture is, it slopes down tward the wall and front of the home, I have not ventured onto the roof to check.

(This post was edited by salto_jorge on Feb 21, 2012, 10:49 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4