Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

twelveoaks

Feb 15, 2012, 8:32 AM

Post #1 of 14 (5692 views)

Shortcut

Okay, Okay do I need a CURP number or not ?

Can't Post | Private Reply
In my previous post about " flying blind" I asked about obtaining a pay as you go cell phone when crossing the border and it seems that will be easy to do. The confusion comes from differing opinions as to whether a CURP number is required to register this phone. We will be coming into Mexico on an FMM and will only need the phone from the Lukeville, AZ border crossing to Ajijic. I don't see how it would be possible to obtain a CURP number anyway. Can you please clarify ?

Thanks,

Fred & Donna

gringolandia

Feb 15, 2012, 10:16 AM

Post #2 of 14 (5657 views)

Shortcut

Re: [twelveoaks] Okay, Okay do I need a CURP number or not ?

Can't Post |
CURP numbers are usually obtained where you will reside. You must also have a proof of residency etc. I have seen folks get cell phones by going to a small shop and asking them to use any curp number just so you can buy the phone from them. Must phones in Mexico will not activate without the curp number.

Since I know you...you are going to share my PO box....would you want to have my curp number for your new phone?

twelveoaks

Feb 15, 2012, 10:33 AM

Post #3 of 14 (5645 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gringolandia] Okay, Okay do I need a CURP number or not ?

Yes thank you. That would be wonderful !

Fred

RickS

Feb 15, 2012, 10:40 AM

Post #4 of 14 (5641 views)

Shortcut

Well, I read all of the responses and even responded myself. It seemed plain to me what the answer is, but to re-post Tashby's summary............

Nonetheless.....all this "CURP-talk" is, I'm pretty sure, irrelevant to the OP (Original Poster), who just wants to have a mobile phone for the drive down between the border and destination. The "You need a CURP # to register your cell phone" ridiculousness was aborted a while back, I'm pretty sure.

As instructed above, upon entering Mexico, find a TelCel (or whatever) store that sells phones and minutes. Buy a cheap phone and have them hook you up. They'll likely ask for some information, maybe your passport # or Visa # or whatever. No matter what, they want to sell you the phone, so they'll do what they need to do. Test it out shortly thereafter and you're on your way.

You can deal with a more permanent solution later.

stevebrtx

Feb 15, 2012, 10:43 AM

Post #5 of 14 (5639 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Okay, Okay do I need a CURP number or not ?

Hmm, been here 4 1/2 years and don't have one yet, so far I don't see any change?
http://www.chapalaweather.net

sfmacaws

Feb 15, 2012, 10:46 AM

Post #6 of 14 (5638 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Okay, Okay do I need a CURP number or not ?

If you have the equivalent of an FM2 (and possibly an FM3), the CURP number is on your card right below your date of birth. They are now asking if you already have one and if not, assigning one when they issue the card.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

stevebrtx

Feb 15, 2012, 10:57 AM

Post #7 of 14 (5626 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Okay, Okay do I need a CURP number or not ?

My "FM3" doesn't have one, was renewed last Sept, so as I said, not much has changed. And, I still renew my cell phone from time to time.

joaquinx

Feb 15, 2012, 10:58 AM

Post #8 of 14 (5626 views)

Shortcut

Re: Okay, Okay do I need a CURP number or not ?

Getting CURP with a visa is easy, but when the requirement first came out, Vicente Fox's CURP registered thousands of cel-phones.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

stevebrtx

Feb 15, 2012, 12:10 PM

Post #9 of 14 (5603 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Okay, Okay do I need a CURP number or not ?

And something like 10,000 Carlos Slim's, that when I stopped worrying about having or not having one.

Axixic

Feb 15, 2012, 12:57 PM

Post #10 of 14 (5581 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Okay, Okay do I need a CURP number or not ?

In the last 2 years with the new FMX card, I've never been assigned a CURP number. For a couple of years Telcel sent me text messages telling me to register my CURP number with Telcel but finally stopped some months ago. I assume the regulation was changed or Telcel gave up.

johanson

Feb 15, 2012, 1:03 PM

Post #11 of 14 (5578 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Okay, Okay do I need a CURP number or not ?

Okay I just went to two Telcel outlets in Ajijic. I was shocked that both offices said that one needed to have a CURP to get your phone registered. But upon further questioning about how impractical that appeared to be for people who come to visit from another country for a few months, the lady in one Telcel store confessed, yes I give Telcel a CURP number (hers) when registering a new cell phone purchased by folks obviously from out of the country.

So I guess, there are ways around everything down here.

careyeroslib

Feb 15, 2012, 2:15 PM

Post #12 of 14 (5553 views)

Shortcut

All you need to get a phone is your passport. Lots of tourists in Puerto Vallarta buy them just for local calls during their trip.

I bought one last year at Telcel and all they wanted was my passport. No other documentation whatsoever.

(This post was edited by careyeroslib on Feb 15, 2012, 2:18 PM)

twelveoaks

Feb 16, 2012, 7:56 AM

Post #13 of 14 (5479 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gringolandia] Okay, Okay do I need a CURP number or not ?

Thanks,

Fred

Phil in SLP

Feb 19, 2012, 7:02 AM

Post #14 of 14 (5314 views)

Shortcut

cell phones

About cell phones. I have a cheap non-data LG Accolade phone from Verizon, plus a Nationwide + Mexico plan that gives me 450 minutes a month for about $55. All calls in the US or Mexico are local, plus those between the two countries. It is worth that little bit extra not to have to deal with a Mexican cell phone company. Works well for me!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4