Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

expatsinmexico

Feb 13, 2012, 9:25 PM

Post #1 of 7 (3644 views)

Shortcut

Vehicle Permit

Can't Post | Private Reply
  I have gone over many postings here and on other forums that have discussed the Vehicle Permit process and the one part of the process that is confusing to me is as follows: If you enter on a tourist visa you have six months to leave the country. If you convert your Visa to an FM3 (or the new visa when the new law is fully implemented) and you stay in Mexico are you not in violation of the law and your promise to leave if you don't take your vehicle out of Mexico and then return with your FM3. Does starting the FM3 at a consulate in the states make a difference?

Rolly

Feb 13, 2012, 10:03 PM

Post #2 of 7 (3636 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bound4ajijic] Vehicle Permit

"Does starting the FM3 at a consulate in the states make a difference?"
I took a stupid pill this morning, so I don't understand your question.
You are correct that all you can do at the consulate is start the process. Your actual FM3 will be granted in México.
You can find detailed information on both the vise question and the vehicle permit here.

Rolly Pirate

stevebrtx

Feb 14, 2012, 5:26 AM

Post #3 of 7 (3616 views)

Shortcut

I think the "law" per se is that as long as you have a current valid visa (without regard to which one) your sticker is valid. I got Spencers paperwork, I came in 4.5 years ago on an FMT, converted to an FM3 etc. and have never changed the sticker and when stopped it's not a problem. That being said, if you pay a deposit, which you will, you need to notify Aduana within 15 days (?) when you renew your visa after a year or you forfeit the deposit. Rolly will correct me if I've "misspoken" (as do politicians).
http://www.chapalaweather.net

YucaLandia

Feb 14, 2012, 8:33 AM

Post #4 of 7 (3581 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Vehicle Permit

Our Progreso Aduana office has been insisting for 4 months, that FM3/FM2 holders must now register their INM permit expiration date changes every year within 15 days of INM's annual permit approvals. Aduana also insists that get a letter from Aduana documenting the current updated expiration date to carry in the car. This means that whether you made a deposit or not, they are requiring annual submissions of proof of your renewed INM permit or change in INM permit status. They are saying that the police can confiscate your car if you are not carrying the new annual letter-of-proof from Aduana.

Even if the risk of confiscation is small, it seems much better and easier to just get the annual Aduana letter.
steve
-
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

stevebrtx

Feb 14, 2012, 8:49 AM

Post #5 of 7 (3571 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Vehicle Permit

That's what our guy Spencer up here does, for $200p you get a whole bundle, certified, guaranteed, written in - - -, blow-your-socks-off, drop-dead - oh, never mind, it works, so it's cheap insurance for the many "variations" in Mexican law interruptions as we're all accustomed to while residing in this paradise? NOB we'd call it "profiling" or "harassment" - here it's called "not worth worrying about".

PS: when I came in I gave them a credit card number, it was stolen and canceled a year later, so they have nada to confiscate from me and I don't turn in my sticker and it's the darndest thing, no one ever asks for the FMM, or about the sticker etc when I go to TX and return.

(This post was edited by stevebrtx on Feb 14, 2012, 10:48 AM)

expatsinmexico

Feb 14, 2012, 4:30 PM

Post #6 of 7 (3503 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Vehicle Permit

So I think what you all are telling me is that I will have 15 days to notify Aduana of my visa status change. And then I must notify them within fifteen days of the anniversary date of entering the country (permit date) of what my Visa status is.

One question I have is how and where you notify them if not at the border? Can this be done online also?

Also with the new Visa changes will that notification only be required every five years thereafter when your Visa is renewed or you change status?

stevebrtx

Feb 14, 2012, 4:37 PM

Post #7 of 7 (3498 views)

Shortcut

Here at the lake, Spencer, Intercasa will do it, he takes the paper work to the Aduana at GDL. Apparently any change, even renewal requires a notice to preserve the deposit retrieval possibility. As to the new regs, I don't think anyone really knows for sure yet, they're trickling down and will probably take a bit of time to sort out. My FM3 is due in Sept, so hopefully by then I'll know what and who I am and what will be required to keep me in the good graces of Mexico.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4