Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

fug

Feb 13, 2012, 3:08 PM

Post #1 of 44 (11977 views)

Shortcut

Guad, GDL, or Guadalajara?

Can't Post | Private Reply
As a gringo, I refer to it as GDL, as it is easy to do,only three letters and is the airport designation. Others refer to it as Guad, easy to do only four letters. I have been told that Mexicans do not appreciate us foreigners calling the second largest city in Mexico by anything other than its correct name. Guadalajara. Any input? Especially from Mexican citizens. fug

Brian

Feb 13, 2012, 4:48 PM

Post #2 of 44 (11946 views)

Shortcut

Re: [fug] Guad, GDL, or Guadalajara?

In Reply To
As a gringo, I refer to it as GDL, as it is easy to do,only three letters and is the airport designation. Others refer to it as Guad, easy to do only four letters. I have been told that Mexicans do not appreciate us foreigners calling the second largest city in Mexico by anything other than its correct name. Guadalajara. Any input? Especially from Mexican citizens. fug

I'm not a Tapatio but I think they refer to Guadalajara as " La Perla de Occidente".

mazbook1

Feb 13, 2012, 5:01 PM

Post #3 of 44 (11939 views)

Shortcut

Calling Guadalajara something other than its full name is similar for Mexicans as calling San Francisco "Frisco" is to folks who live there. In all the years I have lived in México, I have NEVER heard a Mexican refer to Guadalajara by something other than the full name.

chicois8

Feb 13, 2012, 5:25 PM

Post #4 of 44 (11925 views)

Shortcut

Well fuggi, GDL is and airport code, Never have heard anyone call it Guad, so I guess calling the beautiful town Guadalajara would be correct.
Ocanahua, Jalisco
San Mateo, California

Vichil

Feb 13, 2012, 5:25 PM

Post #5 of 44 (11925 views)

Shortcut

As a foreigner I refer to it by Guadalajara. It is a wonderful name, why screw it up?

joaquinx

Feb 13, 2012, 7:24 PM

Post #6 of 44 (11899 views)

Shortcut

Re: Guad, GDL, or Guadalajara?

How does one pronounce GDL?
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

morgaine7

Feb 13, 2012, 7:30 PM

Post #7 of 44 (11896 views)

Shortcut

I've never heard my Mexican neighbors refer to it as anything but "Guadalajara" ... and some of them travel there frequently. I totally agree with Vichil. It's a beautiful name, and I love saying it.

Kate

sioux4noff

Feb 13, 2012, 9:57 PM

Post #8 of 44 (11872 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morgaine7] Guad, GDL, or Guadalajara?

My Mexican friend who lives in Guadalajara uses GDL in a text message, such as "Cuando vienes a GDL?" But then he also uses K for Que, msj for mensaje, X for por, etc.
I use GDL in writing, just like I use PVR in writing. Neither would be used in conversation.
And, living in the Puerto Vallarta area, I have never heard anyone, Mexican or not, say the name as anythng other than Guadalajara.

sparks

Feb 14, 2012, 5:23 AM

Post #9 of 44 (11847 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Guad, GDL, or Guadalajara?

He must be referring to message boards and email .... altho I find a lot of businesses use GDL on their websites or ads

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

santiagostan

Feb 14, 2012, 7:23 AM

Post #10 of 44 (11813 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Guad, GDL, or Guadalajara?

My dos centavos are that it is disrespectful to use anything other than the correct name. It shows an unwillingness or laziness, but that is my opinion. To me guad doesn't exist, GDL is an airport code for the Guadalajara airport and Guadalajara is the second largest city in Mexico.

esperanza

Feb 14, 2012, 7:36 AM

Post #11 of 44 (11810 views)

Shortcut

I agree with the other posters here: I often use GDL when writing a text message or making a post here, but "Guad" just makes my hackles rise. I have never heard another Mexican use that abomination.

It also annoys me to see so many NOB foreigners post on this and other boards as if the name of the city were "Quad". Please.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

cbviajero

Feb 14, 2012, 7:47 AM

Post #12 of 44 (11805 views)

Shortcut

GDL Noticias

chinagringo

Feb 14, 2012, 8:04 AM

Post #13 of 44 (11801 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Guad, GDL, or Guadalajara?

TripAdvisor is a fairly well respected travel info site used by millions for travel advice. There is a designated Destination Expert for the Lake Chapala area who always uses Guad. On one of their forums, I confronted her about using this abomination and basically got an answer that she was right and I was wrong. After all, she lives in San Antonio but to her, it is always called SAT, which just happens to be the airport code for San Antonio, TX and has no bearing on a village on Lake Chapala.

Isn't it great when a respected travel site starts off misleading foreigners and perpetuating the slang!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

YucaLandia

Feb 14, 2012, 8:23 AM

Post #14 of 44 (11793 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Guad, GDL, or Guadalajara?

Does that mean LA is no longer LA LA Land?
-
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

chinagringo

Feb 14, 2012, 8:42 AM

Post #15 of 44 (11781 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Guad, GDL, or Guadalajara?

In my book, there is no hope for Los Angeles, LA or LA LA Land!

Here in Albuquerque, we have lots of people who have trouble spelling it or are too lazy. The airport code of ABQ is often used. But we had a former mayor who thought it would be a great idea to make it easy for all and tried to force the use of 'Q' down people's throats. A total bomb!

To my way of thinking, taking time to either spell out Guadalajara properly or say it properly is a matter of respect for a beautiful city with a beautiful name!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

stevebrtx

Feb 14, 2012, 8:44 AM

Post #16 of 44 (11778 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Guad, GDL, or Guadalajara?

There are always the tee shirts and bumper stickers made by Tapatios, sold to Tapatios etc. that say "In Guad We Trust"?

I'd say the bigger question that has been answered in this thread was one posed by the OP recently as to why they are not respected on this board, this is something that belongs on the brain dead board at www.duh.com.mx.

PS: I doubt any Mexican citizens could care less.

chinagringo

Feb 14, 2012, 8:52 AM

Post #17 of 44 (11772 views)

Shortcut

After a Google search, I found definitions of GUAD in the urban dictionary:
1) Somebody who is known to the community as a complete wasteman. Often found to be representing waste endz.
2) Used as an acronym in chat rooms for 'Giggle Up And Down'. A prefered alternative to LoL, RoFL or LMAO
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Bennie García

Feb 14, 2012, 9:38 AM

Post #18 of 44 (11752 views)

Shortcut

Guanatos is a slang term for Guadalajara and very commonly used by its own residents.

Marlene

Feb 14, 2012, 2:27 PM

Post #19 of 44 (11696 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Guad, GDL, or Guadalajara?

I am reminded of this article, after reading some of the comments in this thread.

"When In Guanatos, You Can't Always Speak The Way Locals Do"

http://guadalajarareporter.com/...e-way-locals-do.html

La Isla

Feb 14, 2012, 2:30 PM

Post #20 of 44 (11692 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
There are always the tee shirts and bumper stickers made by Tapatios, sold to Tapatios etc. that say "In Guad We Trust"?

"In Guad We Trust" is a bilingual pun (Mexicans are very fond of puns!) rather than a abbreviation of the name of the city used by foreigners who are too lazy to say the whole lovely word in Spanish.

stevebrtx

Feb 14, 2012, 4:45 PM

Post #21 of 44 (11663 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Guad, GDL, or Guadalajara?

It's probably more a cultural difference than anything, gringos live at a faster pace, we have for our whole lives, we live by the adage "time is money" etc. and we're in a hurry, we drive fast, live fast etc. Our life is alphabet soup, who has the time to say Central Intelligence Agency when you can spit out CIA? Even our elected representatives blur the language, when they talk about Social Security they don't articulate every syllable as written, they say something like soshsecurty. Our kids text in another language unknown to anyone over 25.

The Mexican culture is significantly slower, how often do we complain about the "manana" syndrome? So, while Mexicans may have the time to say G-u-a-d-a-l-a-j-a-r-a, lovely that it may be to hear, gringos are already bored waiting to hear "what about G-u-a-d-a-l-a-j-a-r-a?" and are off to the next subject. If you use it 4 times in a paragraph you've used up more of my time than I'm willing to give - unless it's really really important.

Or just could be that some of us are lazy.

La Isla

Feb 14, 2012, 4:51 PM

Post #22 of 44 (11660 views)

Shortcut

I am one expat from the US who is not always in a hurry, even though I live in fast-paced Mexico City. I feel sorry for anyone who is in such a hurry that they can't take time to speak clearly and say all the syllables of the name of the city they may be living in.

cbviajero

Feb 14, 2012, 5:08 PM

Post #23 of 44 (11657 views)

Shortcut

When speaking I always say Guadalajara and so does everybody else I know who lives in GDL with the exception of some hipsters who might on occasion say Guanatos,I'm a slow typer so GDL works fine for me,as far abbreviations go how about AFI,PGR,IFE DIF,PRI,PAN etc.

La Isla

Feb 14, 2012, 5:17 PM

Post #24 of 44 (11651 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Guad, GDL, or Guadalajara?

In Reply To
. . . as far abbreviations go how about AFI,PGR,IFE DIF,PRI,PAN etc.

Yes, indeed, Mexican Spanish is chock-full of acronyms!

chinagringo

Feb 14, 2012, 5:19 PM

Post #25 of 44 (11651 views)

Shortcut

Sorry but I don't buy the "I am so busy that I don't have time to spell it out or speak it out excuse". If I am posting on a forum, I will admit to spelling out Guadalajara and then using GDL in subsequent usage within the same post. I also do the very same with San Miguel de Allende and then SMA in subsequent usage. I have accepted the fact that time in Mexico is a relative viewpoint and I truly enjoy slowing down from the NOB lifestyle!

You will never catch me using the slang, GUAD, in a post or when speaking!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4