Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

onebusyman

Feb 13, 2012, 2:41 PM

Post #1 of 3 (3220 views)

Shortcut

Moving household goods with FM3

Can't Post | Private Reply
My move to Bucerias is coming up on March 5th after two years of planning, building and saving. I completed the FM3 process on my last trip down and have a Mexican mover who will meet me in Souther CA transfer my household goods from my rental truck to theirs and they will take the rest of the way to the new house.

My mover has asked if the Seattle Mexican consulate has approved my list of household goods. I've been very careful about capturing all items including electronics; serial numbers, models and puchase dates. Like the old manaje de casa.

Has anyone else had experience recently bringing in your household goods on an FM3? Did you need to get approval from your local consulate? I assumed that once I had the FM3 that I had 6 months to bring in my things and they would be accepted without needing additional approvals or to pay duty. Please share your recent experiences.....thanks!

sparks

Feb 13, 2012, 6:54 PM

Post #2 of 3 (3175 views)

Shortcut

Re: [onebusyman] Moving household goods with FM3

If everything is itemized and used you'll either have to pay duty or not. Friends bought down two trailers recently ... one paid duty and the other not. Duty was minimal

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

Aaron+

Feb 14, 2012, 9:54 AM

Post #3 of 3 (3104 views)

Shortcut

Re: [onebusyman] Moving household goods with FM3

"My mover has asked if the Seattle Mexican consulate has approved my list of household goods. I've been very careful about capturing all items including electronics; serial numbers, models and puchase dates. Like the old manaje de casa."

If you are a Mexican national (and certain other categories), yes, you need the approval of Consular approval for what was called the menaje de casa. See, for example, http://rollybrook.com/menaje.htm Those living in the frontier zones of Mexico (along the U.S. border) who plan to move into the interior, need the Customs approval (not the Consulate´s) of a detailed listing akin to the menaje de casa. Be aware that what any local Mexican Consulate and what Hacienda´s Aduana say can vary significantly; the final decision is with the Aduana.

It is a good idea for all others to have a detailed listing, including age and serial number of electronic items. Mexican customs takes particular interest in Chinese-sourced electronics (i.e., almost all electronics nowadays) and clothing. Property should be 6 or more months old to minimize extra scrutiny, possible issues.

(This post was edited by Rolly on Feb 14, 2012, 1:45 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4