Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

Chuck77

Feb 9, 2012, 12:39 PM

Post #1 of 5 (5742 views)

Shortcut

Pesos vs. $USD

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'll be visiting SMA and Guanajuato City for about ten days and want to know whether US dollars will suffice or if I need to get a supply of Pesos, and if so , what denominations are best to get.

Thank you for your response, Chuck

joaquinx

Feb 9, 2012, 12:44 PM

Post #2 of 5 (5737 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Chuck77] Pesos vs. $USD

Take what you get from the ATM's. That's the best exchange rate for tourists.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Rolly

Feb 9, 2012, 12:46 PM

Post #3 of 5 (5733 views)

Shortcut

Dollars are spendable in only a few places.
Bring your ATM card and get pesos as you need them. ATMs are all over the place.
Tell your bank you will be using the card in México so they won't block the withdrawals as fraud.

Rolly Pirate

RickS

Feb 9, 2012, 2:53 PM

Post #4 of 5 (5712 views)

Shortcut

As far as denominations, the smaller the better even in SMA.

But when one gets their pesos out of an ATM, one takes what one gets. If one asks for, say, 3000 pesos, the bulk of the notes will be 500 pesos which are hard to pass anywhere except buying gas, paying tolls or paying a 400 pesos tab. Not impossible you understand, but not easy. I bought 430 pesos worth of pots, etc. at one place in the Artisans Hall and gave a 500 note. The lady/owner could not scrape up 70 pesos in change and was gone for 5 minutes finding my change.

Anonimo

Feb 9, 2012, 3:30 PM

Post #5 of 5 (5703 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Pesos vs. $USD

In Reply To
As far as denominations, the smaller the better even in SMA.

But when one gets their pesos out of an ATM, one takes what one gets. If one asks for, say, 3000 pesos, the bulk of the notes will be 500 pesos which are hard to pass anywhere except buying gas, paying tolls or paying a 400 pesos tab. Not impossible you understand, but not easy. I bought 430 pesos worth of pots, etc. at one place in the Artisans Hall and gave a 500 note. The lady/owner could not scrape up 70 pesos in change and was gone for 5 minutes finding my change.

If you use an ATM at a bank, (and those, IMO are the safest ones to use), after you get your money, go into the bank and ask for them to cambiar unos billetes grandes a unos más chicos. Por favor, of course.

Saludos,
Anonimo

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4