Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

ya'ax ich

Feb 4, 2012, 4:59 PM

Post #1 of 3 (4712 views)

Shortcut

Thinking about moving to San Cristobal

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi Folks-
I came to Campeche six years ago to learn the culture and language of the Maya. I am now considering a move to San Cristobal to learn the languages and culture of the Tzotzils and Tzetzals. I have been to San Cristobal three times and really love the mountains and beauty there.
I am a 60ish year old male (widowed) with limited income. I have been teaching English in Campeche. I would like to live in San Cristobal or a pueblito close to there, so as to study the languages at the university in San Cristobal. I would very much like to hear from you Chiapanecos. Any information you could share would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your help.
ya'ax ich (green eyes in Maya)

JuanCha

Feb 17, 2012, 2:34 PM

Post #2 of 3 (4467 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ya'ax ich] Thinking about moving to San Cristobal

I reside in "SanCris", Chiapas half time. There are places to study the local Mayan dialects here - some good, some not. Be aware that SanCris is tropical high altitude and that means colder weather, especially at night, than many parts of southern Mexico. It rains often during certain months, can be cloudy and drizzly in almost any month; but many months are sunny and temperate (nice breeze, moderate humidity).

SanCris is a backpacker haven and crossroads. There are many European, Aussie, and Argentinian expats and tourists. The USA and Canadian expats are definitley present but in smaller proportion than many other Mexicano tourist destinations. SanCris is very "walkable" and lively (music, events, etc). I like it here.
JuanCha de: Santa Fe NM, San Cristobal de Las Casas Chiapas, San Diego CA

Vichil

Feb 18, 2012, 9:41 AM

Post #3 of 3 (4407 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ya'ax ich] Thinking about moving to San Cristobal

If you already have some background in Maya contact CELALI, they have classes in Tzeltal, Tzozil, Tojolabal and other Maya languages. A lot of the students are indigenous who already speak one language and want to learn another or people who were raised hearing these languages. They can pick up the language quicker and more easily so it is good to have already some background in these languages to be in the same class.
Sorry I cannot give you their location, they used to be out by Chedraui but have moved closer to the center , I think by the puente blanco but I forgot where exactly.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4