Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

bobscott

Feb 3, 2012, 12:04 PM

Post #1 of 21 (9337 views)

Shortcut

Taxi service to airport from Ajijic

| Private Reply
My wife and I spent 2 lovely weeks in Ajijic. When we were ready to leave we inquired at the taxi stand by the main square.
The man we spoke to was Dago Martinez and we asked how much for a ride to the airport. He told us $250MXN. we made arrangements for the next day and he told us his son would be picking us up at the hotel.Well when we got to the airport we handed him the fare and he told us it was not enough and the fare was $350MXN. It is obvious that these two like to cheat people. do not get into a cab operated by this father and son team of ripoff artists.
A reliable alternative is Anthony G Ramirez. Cel: (045) 331 172 4834. His price to the airport is $350MXN. a little more than the price quoted by the taxi service, but no more than the price the taxi service charges when you arrive to the airport. He speaks very good english.
his e-mail is A.Ramirez.in.Chapala@gmail.com.

Chapala Payaso

Feb 3, 2012, 12:27 PM

Post #2 of 21 (9326 views)

Shortcut

Re: [penguintb] Taxi service to airport from Ajijic

| Private Reply
Is it possible you misunderstood the original cited price? Seems strange the second person you recommend quoted the same price you heard at the airport. Additionally, you should be aware of what the acepted price is.

CanuckBob

Feb 3, 2012, 12:29 PM

Post #3 of 21 (9325 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
$350mxn is the going price from Ajijic to the airport. I would think that the father misquoted at $250mxn as it has not been that cheap for many years. I highly doubt they were out to "rip you off". Did you leave a tip?

Bob
Inside Lakeside
http://www.insidelakeside.com

don pedro

Feb 3, 2012, 12:55 PM

Post #4 of 21 (9317 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CanuckBob] Taxi service to airport from Ajijic

| Private Reply

In Reply To
$350mxn is the going price from Ajijic to the airport. I would think that the father misquoted at $250mxn as it has not been that cheap for many years. I highly doubt they were out to "rip you off". Did you leave a tip?

a quote is a quote is a quote. i believe the op. my friend juanito charged us 250 and we gave him 300.
http://chapalamexicoinfo.createforumhosting.com
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!

CanuckBob

Feb 3, 2012, 1:32 PM

Post #5 of 21 (9312 views)

Shortcut

Re: [don pedro] Taxi service to airport from Ajijic

| Private Reply
From the Ajijic Plaza?

Bob
Inside Lakeside

don pedro

Feb 3, 2012, 2:34 PM

Post #6 of 21 (9293 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
From the Ajijic Plaza?

and here i thought you'd been here enough to know that there ain't no difernce in distance to the aeropuerto from my house or the axixic plaza both of which you have been at -no?-SNORK!
by the way the op said from their hotel[somewhere between my casa and that plaza no doubt]-not the plaza -SNORK! again

taxi:juan-cell-333-130-5604

i use juan almost exclusively for all cab needs including trips to guadalajara. i play volleyball with him so i have known him a long time.
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!

(This post was edited by don pedro on Feb 3, 2012, 2:40 PM)

bobscott

Feb 3, 2012, 5:35 PM

Post #7 of 21 (9270 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I was prepared to leave a tip for Mr. Martinez, but after the price was up at the last minute, no way.
The ride was from Hotel Italo not more than a block away as you should know.
After the the driver left I asked the taxi service in the airport, how much for a ride to Ajijic and was quoted $320Mxn.
why would it be more from Ajijic to airport? And yes my hearing is just fine.
The driver I recommended was a private Chauffeur, so i would expect it to be more than just a general Taxi ride.
Mr. Martinez kind screwed himself because I was prepared to leave a generous tip after his story about being so poor and having a new baby on the way.
There is a older gentleman Taxi driver there (light complected, missing teeth, that is always smiling) that I like to use but they would not let him drive us, Said it was Dago's son's turn.

CanuckBob

Feb 3, 2012, 6:09 PM

Post #8 of 21 (9263 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
There can be a big difference in traffic/time depending on the time of day getting into and out of Ajijic versus Chapala. However more importantly you believe that this father/son taxi team is intentionally scamming people as insinuated?

BTW,,,,,,Juan charged me $350 pesos last time I used him out of Ajijic so I guess I was a pigeon..........

Bob
Inside Lakeside

(This post was edited by CanuckBob on Feb 3, 2012, 6:27 PM)

tashby

Feb 3, 2012, 6:53 PM

Post #9 of 21 (9254 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
No matter what, $350MXP is a fairly standard rate to get to the airport from Ajijic. So calling them "ripoff artists" is a bit much.

It's not a coincidence your recommended driver charges the same price.

johninajijic

Feb 4, 2012, 8:40 AM

Post #10 of 21 (9205 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
The ONLY Taxi drivers I use from Ajijic to the Airport and reverse, they meet me at the Airport are Francisco and his sons. They speak good English. They are totally honest, very safe drivers, very safe cars and always on time. They have many different size vehicles for your needs. I wouldn't use any of the other schmucks.
Francisco Phone: 766 1142 or 045 333 157 8060
Son Luis: 045 331 307 8289

RickS

Feb 4, 2012, 10:37 AM

Post #11 of 21 (9193 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johninajijic] Taxi service to airport from Ajijic

| Private Reply
Schmuck definition: an obnoxious, contemptible or detestable person, or one who is stupid or foolish.

I have used Francisco too, but do you really want to brand all the others 'Schmucks' just to get your point
across about him?

johninajijic

Feb 4, 2012, 12:46 PM

Post #12 of 21 (9173 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Taxi service to airport from Ajijic

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Schmuck definition: an obnoxious, contemptible or detestable person, or one who is stupid or foolish.

I have used Francisco too, but do you really want to brand all the others 'Schmucks' just to get your point
across about him?

fug

Feb 4, 2012, 1:22 PM

Post #13 of 21 (9163 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
350 is a fair price. Why would you think you were ripped off and then recommend someone else who also charges 350? By the way, my guess is that his name is Diego, not Dago. Very few Dagos down here. fug

fug

Feb 4, 2012, 1:28 PM

Post #14 of 21 (9160 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
And now we are quibbling over 30 pesos? That is around two and a half bucks. Big deal. Maybe, that included the tip. Tranquillo, amigo. fug

don pedro

Feb 4, 2012, 5:33 PM

Post #15 of 21 (9134 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
There can be a big difference in traffic/time depending on the time of day getting into and out of Ajijic versus Chapala. However more importantly you believe that this father/son taxi team is intentionally scamming people as insinuated?

BTW,,,,,,Juan charged me $350 pesos last time I used him out of Ajijic so I guess I was a pigeon..........

or maybe he has a difernt rate for a friend,which i am.
i have never had a cab driver around here with a meter so time is not of the essense[sic] to them but it is with guadalajara cabs. a driver here gives you a quote when asked.
juan is terrific. we use him when we go out and drinking is involved. he takes us there and then picks us up at the predetermined time to go home.

CanuckBob

Feb 4, 2012, 7:08 PM

Post #16 of 21 (9127 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
OK fair enough on the rate, he probably did give you a deal but doubtful he would be willing to do that price for everyone. Now back to my original question and the whole point of this conversation......Do you actually believe this father/son taxi team are intentionally scamming people as insinuated by the original OP??

Bob
Inside Lakeside

(This post was edited by CanuckBob on Feb 4, 2012, 7:09 PM)

don pedro

Feb 5, 2012, 3:47 PM

Post #17 of 21 (9064 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
OK fair enough on the rate, he probably did give you a deal but doubtful he would be willing to do that price for everyone. Now back to my original question and the whole point of this conversation......Do you actually believe this father/son taxi team are intentionally scamming people as insinuated by the original OP??

i generally avoid conversations with you. it's not important,in any event what my take is on the op. sounds like the right hand doesn't know what the left hand was doing is all.-SNORK!

CanuckBob

Feb 5, 2012, 5:10 PM

Post #18 of 21 (9053 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Well I think it is important to get the facts straight when a small business person is possibly slandered and a seemingly knowledgeable resident says they "believe the OP". Glad we could clear this up. Snork!

Bob
Inside Lakeside

(This post was edited by CanuckBob on Feb 5, 2012, 5:14 PM)

PITAtres

Feb 5, 2012, 6:55 PM

Post #19 of 21 (9037 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Since joining yesterday, I have been going thru old posts attempting to get a reading on the Lake Chapala area since that is of interest to us. It appears from your many posts that you have lived there for some time. I am curious about one thing - do you not drive or is it too dangerous to drive into Guadalajara? It bothers me that I might have to hire a taxi when I feel that I am perfectly capable of driving myself. Your insight would be most appreciated.

Axixic

Feb 6, 2012, 1:21 AM

Post #20 of 21 (9010 views)

Shortcut

Re: [PITAtres] Taxi service to airport from Ajijic

| Private Reply
If you drive, there shouldn't be any problem driving yourself around. Some people take cabs rather than drive. Most people take a cab to the airport instead of driving because they don't want to leave their vehicles at the airport especially if they will be gone several weeks or longer.

tonyburton

Feb 6, 2012, 7:58 AM

Post #21 of 21 (8945 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Axixic] Taxi service to airport from Ajijic

| Private Reply
This thread has served its purpose.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4