Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

jwander

Jan 31, 2012, 7:48 PM

Post #1 of 10 (6164 views)

Shortcut

Wireless Signal Booster.

Can't Post | Private Reply
First let me profess my ignorance of technical details of just about anything beyond and off/on switch. I live in a part of Mexico in which I get good cell service. However, I am also spending time in a more remote area where cell service is weak and no internet lines ( telephone ) have yet been placed. I've heard Moviestar has a modem that plugs into your laptop and gets some connectivity in the area. I would like to know if anyone knows if any of the signal boosters that exist would give me either better cell service or a better internet connection with high enough speed to use our magicJack. I am also not interested in spending 1000's of dollars as my communications are not vital to any nations security interests.

Jeff

sparks

Feb 1, 2012, 5:46 AM

Post #2 of 10 (6150 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jwander] Wireless Signal Booster.

Telcel probably has the best coverage in most areas. I was tempted to go with Iusacell because of prices and speed but their coverage fades about 1/2 way between here and Manzanillo. I'm using a Telcel USB modem now.

If your modem doesn't get a strong signal it's pretty hard to put something between you and the cel tower unless the cel company offers something. I use a USB extension cable so the modem is in the window ... but besides that?

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

sfmacaws

Feb 1, 2012, 10:30 AM

Post #3 of 10 (6123 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Wireless Signal Booster.

There are cell signal boosters, I remember seeing them when we lived in the RV. I'd check something like Camping World or one of the RV forums. As I recall, if you can get a signal at all then you can make it stronger. Sparks is also right, putting the antenna as high as possible and as unobstructed as possible helps.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

sparks

Feb 1, 2012, 4:20 PM

Post #4 of 10 (6108 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Wireless Signal Booster.

You can boost a wireless signal locally, like from Telmex, once it hits a router/modem. Boosting a cel signal in a bad or no reception area is a whole other thing

sfmacaws

Feb 1, 2012, 8:40 PM

Post #5 of 10 (6086 views)

Shortcut

It won't work in a no reception area but it can boost the signal enough in a low reception area to make it a a viable signal.

Here are a couple I found quickly on Camping World. The idea is an external antenna that would work best at the highest location you can place it or at a location that gets the best signal. It is wired to a receiver inside that boosts the signal to your phone.

http://www.campingworld.com/...-amplifier-kit/44192

http://www.campingworld.com/...it-with-cradle/44191

They both work on GSM cell networks which is what Telcel is. We had one in our RV when we used to spend a lot of time out in the boondocks. If we could get even one bar standing on the roof of the RV, we could get 4 or 5 inside with the external antenna.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

(This post was edited by sfmacaws on Feb 1, 2012, 8:46 PM)

sparks

Feb 2, 2012, 7:38 AM

Post #6 of 10 (6055 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Wireless Signal Booster.

Interesting. There are other brands that get good reviews and sell for considerably less than Camping World. Even on Amazon

sfmacaws

Feb 2, 2012, 9:40 AM

Post #7 of 10 (6037 views)

Shortcut

I'm in no way recommending someone buy from Camping World, they are always the highest price. It's just easy to search their online store and I knew I'd seen them there. Of course, price shop and compare reviews.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

johanson / Moderator

Feb 2, 2012, 5:29 PM

Post #8 of 10 (6010 views)

Shortcut

Thank God we have a pro (sparks) answering your question about a cell signal booster. I had heard that they existed, but had no knowledge more than that. Thank you both Sparks and sfmacaus for answering those questions I could not help on.

sparks

Feb 3, 2012, 5:41 AM

Post #9 of 10 (5979 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Wireless Signal Booster.

I think it was Jonna who's the pro on this one. I'd never heard of them either

sfmacaws

Feb 3, 2012, 11:26 AM

Post #10 of 10 (5956 views)

Shortcut

Not a pro, I just lived full time in an RV for 6 years and spent much of that time in remote areas (including in the US) where this kind of thing becomes a lot more important. We could live indefinitely (with a little care) on our solar panels, carried an internet sat dish plus a Canadian TV dish, learned to be very careful with our water supply and could stay somewhere for quite a while without much in the way of services. Our RV is small enough and we towed a jeep that we could get to some very nice locations. Sometimes I miss it, I wanted a garden though and to live in a city again so we are settled here in Merida now.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4