Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

gailrooney1

Jan 31, 2012, 11:14 AM

Post #1 of 6 (1827 views)

Shortcut

We would like to trade our Mexican-plated car for American-plated car with someone in Lake Chapala a

Can't Post | Private Reply
We are moving back to the States and own a PT Cruiser, 2004, with about 80,000 miles on it. It is in perfect condition inside and outside and is in great mechanical condition. We would like to trade this car, which we really love, for an American car of similar value. We currently live in the Lake Chapala area. Also, does anyone know if we can re-register the American car in the US online? We are trying to figure out how to manage this since we cannot keep our Mexican plated car in the United States without going through expensive alterations. Has anyone ever done this before?

RickS

Jan 31, 2012, 4:30 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1781 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gailrooney1] We would like to trade our Mexican-plated car for American-plated car with someone

To my knowledge there is no state that will let one register a vehicle on-line. Many states, or at least counties in the state, require VIN # verification if not an emissions test. Both of these functions would have to be done with the car present obviously.

But if you can pull off this vehicle swap, be aware that the owner with the US plated car will have to have their temporary vehicle importation permit removed from the computers at the border. While this technically is done by the owner themselves, my experience is that anyone (you) can do this 'for them' at the border as you are leaving. I have done this. Finding an owner who wants to go through this hassle (driving to the border themselves or trusting that you will turn in the TIP for him/her at the border) may be harder than finding someone who wants to trade.

Also I personally would not worry much about driving that vehicle (the US plated one if you are successful) into the United States as long as you have the title signed over to you. Should any law enforcement officer stop you for any reason they should accept the fact that the vehicle is yours and that you are 'driving it to your home state to get it registered'. If your home state is a border state you should have no problem anyway. I have done this, had an officer in a non-border state stop me because the plates were expired, but accepted my explanation that I just bought it (showed him the title and bill-of-sale) and was headed home to title and plate it.

Good luck.

DavidHF

Jan 31, 2012, 6:20 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1756 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] We would like to trade our Mexican-plated car for American-plated car with someone

I think you do not need to take the vehicle to S. Dakota to register it there.

RickS

Jan 31, 2012, 6:41 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1752 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] We would like to trade our Mexican-plated car for American-plated car with someone

That is correct. One does not have to show up in S. Dakota to get SD title/plates but one cannot do it on-line as the OP was asking. To do the SD thing, first one must have a US address to which the plates and title will be sent. This could be a mail-drop in Laredo I guess but they do ask one to attest that you live in the US. One must initially send them, by snail-mail, the vehicle's current title, a filled-out application form (which one can get on their website), a copy of one's driver's license and SS card, and a check for the total amount.

Axixic

Feb 1, 2012, 1:12 AM

Post #5 of 6 (1729 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] We would like to trade our Mexican-plated car for American-plated car with someone

It's no big deal to use snail mail. It takes about three weeks total. If the person doesn't have his own box at one of the mail services, use their Will Call address and pay per letter which for the plates is under $50 pesos.

Call the people in S. Dakota, make sure it's the correct county, mail everything in, and the only thing that takes a little time is getting back the title.

Rolly

Feb 1, 2012, 8:52 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1684 views)

Shortcut

Re: We would like to trade our Mexican-plated car for American-plated car with someone

South Dakota license plates details are here.

Rolly Pirate

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4