Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

gregorycnelson@yahoo.com

Jan 25, 2012, 9:39 AM

Post #1 of 19 (5535 views)

Shortcut

Car Permit

Can't Post | Private Reply
We brought a small 1998 truck into Mexico last October on the 180 day 'window sticker'and plan to leave the truck here in QR, Mx. Do we need to go to Belice and return to get a new sticker? OR if the car never leaves QR do we need bother? Even if we go to get a new sticker, we will be in the USA for at least six months before we return...........help! gracias

DavidHF

Jan 25, 2012, 10:29 AM

Post #2 of 19 (5525 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gregorycnelson@yahoo.com] Car Permit

As long as your visa is valid your car permit is valid. Get a No-Imigrante credential from INM and you're good to go. If you are in-country with an FMM and you leave Mexico your vehicle will be in-country illegally.

gregorycnelson@yahoo.com

Jan 25, 2012, 11:48 AM

Post #3 of 19 (5512 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Car Permit

David- we live 6 months in Xcalak, QR on a 180 day visa. We want to leave the car near the airport in Cancun. Do we need to redo the 180 day car permit IF the car stays in the state of Quintana Roo?

chicois8

Jan 25, 2012, 12:49 PM

Post #4 of 19 (5505 views)

Shortcut

You can not leave the country without the car, the car permit ends when your FMM ends, that would be when you surrender it to fly out of the country.

You would need the equivalent of the old FM3 to leave the car legally ...
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

gregorycnelson@yahoo.com

Jan 25, 2012, 12:55 PM

Post #5 of 19 (5499 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Car Permit

we fly out April 27th...the car stays here............we do not get our $200 deposit back.....correct???

RickS

Jan 25, 2012, 1:00 PM

Post #6 of 19 (5495 views)

Shortcut

(editing while others had posted their info!)

In case DavidH's post was not clear enough for you, consider....

It sounds like you are entering and exiting with a tourist visa (the old FMT). If this is your continuing plans, yes you must return to some border before 180 days from entry date and turn in your FMT and your Temporary Import Permit (TIP). Not doing so will 1) forfeit the cash/credit card deposit of $200 that you had to make in October, and 2) have you driving (parking) an illegal vehicle in Mexico. Leaving the vehicle in QR is not a legal option while you are gone.

DavidH has suggested you an option of getting a "no-imigrante" visa.... the old FM3. This must be done before your 180-day TIP expires and can be done within Mexico. There are, of course, some requirements to be met to qualify for the no-imigrante and there is an annual cost somewhere in the area of $350 (someone will correct me on this amount if I'm way off base!). If you do this, your TIP will be valid as long as you keep your FM3 valid.

To complicate all this, Mexico passed some new laws in about June of 2011 regarding immigration, etc. These laws were reportedly going to be "explained" by Nov. 2011 but that did not happen. Now 'they' are saying maybe this Spring. And, since it is Mexico, when they do get explained they will most likely be interpreted differently depending on which 'authority' you ask. But until then, the current rules seem to still be in force.

There is a great website written by a Mexconnect poster, Rolly Brook, that explains and keeps one updated on these and other situations about living in Mexico. See below for some URLs to his site. In the mean time, stay tuned to Mexconnect forums to get the latest info on this immigration situation.

http://rollybrook.com/car-in-M%C3%A9xico.htm and

http://rollybrook.com/vehicle_permits.htm

(This post was edited by RickS on Jan 25, 2012, 1:13 PM)

Rolly

Jan 25, 2012, 1:04 PM

Post #7 of 19 (5492 views)

Shortcut

You do not get the deposit back, and your car becomes illegal and subject to confection.
Returning later with a new FMM does not make your car legal again.
If you want your car to be legal, take it out or get an FM3.

Rick and I were writing at the same timr.

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Jan 25, 2012, 1:12 PM)

DavidHF

Jan 25, 2012, 1:59 PM

Post #8 of 19 (5478 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Car Permit

Rolly, does that mean the vehicle could possibly get covered in cotton candy?

Rolly

Jan 25, 2012, 2:06 PM

Post #9 of 19 (5476 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Car Permit

Smile I see your point. Confection is not quite confiscation.
Oh, the evils of using a spell checker without paying attention.

Rolly Pirate

playaboy

Jan 25, 2012, 2:24 PM

Post #10 of 19 (5468 views)

Shortcut

QRoo is considered a free State similar to the Baja or the hassle free zone. You do not need a TIP sticker to drive your car in QRoo. Just go to the border and cancel your sticker to get your deposit back. You don't even have to leave the country.

If you ever want to drive the car outside of QRoo then you will need a new TIP.

RickS

Jan 25, 2012, 3:05 PM

Post #11 of 19 (5453 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Car Permit

" You do not need a TIP sticker to drive your car in QRoo."

Well if this is true (and I surely don't doubt it might be!), it should solve the OP's quandary.... but it does bring up other questions...

+ How does one get a vehicle to Qroo from NOB in the first place? Seems like a TIP would be required at least to get there.
+ What border does one drive to to get their TIP deposit back? Belize or Guatemala would appear to be the only options.
+ To drive one's car outside of Qroo, where does one go to get a TIP which is required in other states? Back to Belize?

Mexico! You gotta love it.

gregorycnelson@yahoo.com

Jan 25, 2012, 4:22 PM

Post #12 of 19 (5435 views)

Shortcut

so far I like Play-a-boy answer best................

playaboy

Jan 25, 2012, 4:43 PM

Post #13 of 19 (5426 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Car Permit

To answer you questions, you need a sticker to drive from NOB to QRoo, the closest border to the OP is Chetumal/Belice to cancel the TIP and to get a new one if needed to drive outside QRoo.

Yes, I do love Mexico

chicois8

Jan 25, 2012, 7:17 PM

Post #14 of 19 (5396 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
so far I like Play-a-boy answer best................

In July I was stopped by a military check point between Chetumal QR, and Bacalar QR. They not only looked at the window sticker ( comparing vin # ) but asked me to hand them the vehicle temp. permit, my drivers license, FMM and the car registration. I complied and all was well in less than 5 min.
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

gregorycnelson@yahoo.com

Jan 26, 2012, 4:14 AM

Post #15 of 19 (5365 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Car Permit

now I am confused...................we do NOT have an FM3 anymore.......too much hassle...........we want to leave the car here in QR.......current sticker good until mid April....when we fly back to Minnesota and return in late October (check out www.miomaya.wordpress.com...........HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

playaboy

Jan 26, 2012, 6:02 AM

Post #16 of 19 (5353 views)

Shortcut

CONFUSED??? Welcome to Mexico.

Greg, talk to some of your neighbors and see what they do. If I was in your shoes I would go to Belizian border and cancel the sticker, get your deposit back, and get the car off their computer system. Carry a copy of your current US registration and title with you at all times. That may satisfy any military or police checks.

Chicois8, once I was stopped in that area on a very hot and humid day and asked for my passport and visa. I told them that they were at my home and I only carried copies. They didn't like that at all. I caught this man on a bad day. He kept me there for 20 minutes searching everything twice. They never asked for my car papers. I just stood there and let them do their very best to intimidate me without reacting. After finding nothing they sent me on my way.

gregorycnelson@yahoo.com

Jan 26, 2012, 6:55 AM

Post #17 of 19 (5339 views)

Shortcut

You could be in PDC? We have drove the past 4 years and intend to not do it again........beautiful country, wonderful people, but BAd borders and shitty roads..even the couta.....We have in the long past left a vehicle near the airport in Cancun. I was referred to this forum by people here in Xcalac, and from www.xcalak.tv chat blog. Where do you see that QR is a 'free' state like Baja? in english por favor

playaboy

Jan 26, 2012, 8:30 AM

Post #18 of 19 (5314 views)

Shortcut

Here is the link in Spanish. http://www.aduanas.gob.mx/aduana_mexico/2008/pasajeros/139_10128.html . You can use Google to translate. http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aduanas.gob.mx%2Faduana_mexico%2F2008%2Fpasajeros%2F139_10128.html

I have friends from Corozal that come and visit. Banjercito will not issue them a TIP unless they plan to drive out of Quintana Roo. Drive over to Santa Elena and ask Banjercito yourself if you need a TIP in QRoo.

Just remember that there are no exacts in Mexico and that the law is very "fluid"

gregorycnelson@yahoo.com

Jan 28, 2012, 3:15 AM

Post #19 of 19 (5200 views)

Shortcut

thanks for your imput..hope you are right...greg o goyo

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4