Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

SunFan

Jan 17, 2012, 5:19 AM

Post #1 of 6 (4188 views)

Shortcut

GPS Products

Can't Post | Private Reply
I used a TOMTom XXL 540 to get me from Toronto to Lakeside a month ago.

It was great though the US including some intricate manouvers in Brooklyn.

I have all the latest updates downloaded.

The we hit the border!

Nuevo Lardeo gave it some hiccups. It took us on a 45 minute wild goose chase in Saltillo and we're having little success with a couple of trips to Guadalajara. One to Costco and the other to Tomala. It's generally correct but scews up on details like advance lane change info and finding the exact destination. It took us 2 km away from the actual Costco location

I'm ready to see how many times the TOMTOM will skip when I toss it across the lake.

Anyone have suggestions for the most reliable unit to use here in Mexico.

SunFan

stevebrtx

Jan 17, 2012, 10:20 AM

Post #2 of 6 (4166 views)

Shortcut

Re: [SunFan] GPS Products

I have a Garmin Nuvi 850 and it does a pretty good job here, but on the border run I've segmented the trip to force it to go my way as I bypass Lagos and go around Aguascaliente. Christmas day I let it take me across the middle of Guad with no problems. When they come up with one to warn of topes they can ask their price and I'll be first in line.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

chicois8

Jan 17, 2012, 6:06 PM

Post #3 of 6 (4144 views)

Shortcut

I have the Garmin Nuvi 855 ( now for sale )with Mexico BiSi Mapas on a SD Mini card and it works beautiful, even has voice activation, ask: where am I, and it will ask you if you want police, hospital for pemex station...

Getting older I bought the new Garmin Nuvi 1450 with free map upgrades for life and traffic for life and a 5+" screen, I also added their new Mexico map on a mini SD card and it is great ..

Tom Tom should get 2 good skips in Chapala
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

johanson / Moderator

Jan 17, 2012, 7:23 PM

Post #4 of 6 (4134 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] GPS Products

I remember when I purchased my brand new 2001 Ford Explorer in late 2000 and bragged to everyone about it and the compass it had and how with said compass and an old fashioned map I could go anywhere. I still have the same car dents and all (all of the dents are my fault) and an iPhone with a GPS and map built in which can tell me where I am at.

Yes what you all are talking about is much better, but gosh with a map, car compass and an iPhone to tell me where I am, I can get to Costco in Guadalajara from Ajijic. And to me that's heaven. :) All we have here in Ajijic-Chapala is Wal*Mart. :(

stevebrtx

Jan 20, 2012, 5:27 AM

Post #5 of 6 (4087 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] GPS Products

Yesterday I was at 2 Home Depots, the Galeria (across from Costco N) an Autozone, 2 Starbucks, Home Price and Chedruai (sp?) and the GSP went along for the ride. It does come in handy when I'm exploring new parts of Guad. Oh, add Chilis, but I can always find them.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

(This post was edited by stevebrtx on Jan 20, 2012, 5:28 AM)

jrpierce

Jan 25, 2012, 7:50 AM

Post #6 of 6 (4006 views)

Shortcut

I have a Garmin unit with Bici Mapas Mexican maps. While there are sometimes glitches, it works pretty well. Bici Mapas has recently come out with a major upgrade, but I haven't upgraded yet because I'm considering switching to Garmin's Mexico maps. Friends say they have really improved them over the past few years, and of course they now offer lifetime upgrades--an attractive option.

I suspect any Mexican mapping product will lack the precision of US or Canadian products because, as I've been told, the geo coding of locations in Mexico is far less complete than in many other countries.

Jim

(This post was edited by jrpierce on Jan 25, 2012, 7:52 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4