Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

steve.lafler

Jan 24, 2012, 11:41 AM

Post #1 of 9 (5205 views)

Shortcut

FM3 to FMT: Car Sticker Still Valid?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have my US plated car in Mexico and I'm here on an FM3. I know that I can keep the car in Mexico on the same sticker if I get a new FM3.
The FM3 expires soon. I flew to the US over the Holidays and came back in on an FMT.
So here is the question: Can I exit this June on my FMT with my car on the same sticker that had been covered in the prior year by an FM3? Will the permit remain valid with the change in visa status?
Or will I confuse and rattle the official who cancels the car permit????
Truth is, I could still go and apply for a new FM3, just trying to avoid it.
Many thanks for any info!

YucaLandia

Jan 24, 2012, 1:29 PM

Post #2 of 9 (5190 views)

Shortcut

Re: [steve.lafler] FM3 to FMT: Car Sticker Still Valid?

Aduana rules state that the expiration date of your car's Temporary Import permit corresponds to the expiration date of your INM permit. When you applied for the car's Temporary Import permit, you agreed that you would take your vehicle out of Mexico before the permit expires. If you allow the No Inmigrante (formerly called FM3) to expire, then your car's Temporary Import permit expires and you have to take it to a border. There are no FMTs (since May 2010), so, you did not re-enter Mexico on an "FMT" "over the Holidays". If you did not show your No Inmigrante permit (FM3) when you re-entered Mexico, they likely gave you an FMM. I am no expert in penalties, but you are not allowed to get FMMs, while you still have a No Inmigrante (FM3). Unexpired FM3 holders are supposed to officially surrender & abandon their No Inmigrante (FM3) before they change to FMMs.

You should take the car out of Mexico, as you agreed, before the FM3 expires, or ... you could renew your existing FM3. If you have reached your 5 year limit on your current No Inmigrante, then you could apply for a new No Inmigrante permit. Either renewing your current No Inmigrante permit or getting a new No Inmigrante permit would extend your car's Temporary Import permit, without taking it out of Mexico.

Have you completed 5 years on your No Inmigrante? You ask about "applying for a new FM3", but if you have not reached 5 years, then you simply renew your current No Inmigrante (FM3) and then notify Aduana in person and in writing of your new INM permit expiration date, so Aduana can update their records to show your correct (new) expiration date.
steve
-
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

steve.lafler

Jan 24, 2012, 2:10 PM

Post #3 of 9 (5177 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] FM3 to FMT: Car Sticker Still Valid?

Thank you very much for the concise information. I'm either going to renew the No Immigrante, or make a dash for the border. This would be my 3rd year of No Immigrante status, so I figure I could renew. Again, I very much appreciate the time and effort you put into your reply, very helpful indeed.

RickS

Jan 24, 2012, 2:34 PM

Post #4 of 9 (5171 views)

Shortcut

While this is not meant to be an answer to your FMM vs FM3 quandary, it does address 'cancelling the Temporary Import Permit' at the border.

I have entered and exited several times over the last 7 or so years on an FMT. Without exception, when I leave no one has ever asked any questions about my visa when I cancel the TIP.... I've never showed it. This has been at 4 separate border crossing areas. The personnel there just take the original TIP paperwork I hand them, call up the record on the computer, look at/take pictures of my VIN#, look at the windshield sticker to make sure it corresponds (I guess), remove the sticker and hand me a printed receipt showing the cancellation. Again, not once have I ever been asked to 'show' my visa. The process has never taken more than 3-4 minutes.

P.S. On two occasions I too have flown out of Mexico, having to 'forfeit' the FMT that I acquired when driving in; when flying back in I get another FMT from the airlines. Then when I drive out, I turn in that FMT (but again, the TIP people never as for my visa). I realize that now there is no FMT and everyone gets an FMM.

As always, YMMV.

(This post was edited by RickS on Jan 24, 2012, 4:05 PM)

DavidHF

Jan 24, 2012, 4:00 PM

Post #5 of 9 (5157 views)

Shortcut

If you flew to the US you exited and returned on an FMM, the form you must complete to leave Mexico if you are the holder of and INM Credencial. You then returned using that same document. It contained the number of your No Imigrante" credencial.

esperanza

Jan 24, 2012, 5:04 PM

Post #6 of 9 (5146 views)

Shortcut

As far as I know, the bigger of the two problematic areas here is that you are not allowed to have both an FMM and an FM-2 or 3. That could be a bigger headache than the temporary import sticker, which will, as other posters mentioned, expire when the FM-3 expires. It's actually not legal to have both.

Why would you want to avoid renewing the FM-3 (which of course is no longer called an FM-3, but we all know what we're talking about)?

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

YucaLandia

Jan 25, 2012, 6:28 AM

Post #7 of 9 (5105 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] FM3 to FMT: Car Sticker Still Valid?

One twist off the illegality of simultaneously holding 2 current INM permits: It is likely that the car permit will be considered invalid if the OP is driving around with the FMM in their pocket. In a worst case scenario, the vehicle could be permanently confiscated in the case of an accident or traffic stop.
-
-
Read-on MacDuff

RickS

Jan 25, 2012, 7:19 AM

Post #8 of 9 (5083 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] FM3 to FMT: Car Sticker Still Valid?

It is likely...

Steve, would it not be more 'correct' to say, "It is possible...." I've found that in Mexico NOTHING logical is 'likely'. It just depends on which State one is in, what official one is talking to, what day of the week it is, etc etc etc. The only thing that is likely is that it isn't likely.

YucaLandia

Jan 26, 2012, 3:05 PM

Post #9 of 9 (5014 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] FM3 to FMT: Car Sticker Still Valid?

The question I would ask myself on this:
If I encounter a police officer who knows the law, am I willing to accept the consequences?

If the OP encounters a knowledgeable police officer, they could confiscate his car permanently.
Does the OP wish to roll those dice - and permanently lose his car if caught?

I think only the OP can answer this for themselves.

I know that many posters on Mexconnect focus on what has happened to them, assuming that their past experiences predict other people's future experiences. All it takes is one police officer who knows the law and is willing to enforce it to make such gambles not worth it to us.
steve
-
-
Read-on MacDuff

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4