Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

alex

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 5 (6165 views)

Shortcut

Looking for Merida apartment

Can't Post |
I am thinking about moving to Merida and would like to purchase an apartment or small house, the smaller and cheaper the better. How much do the least expensive places go for in Mexico?

TM

Post #2 of 5 (6081 views)

Shortcut

Looking for Merida apartment

Can't Post |
I'd think twice before I said, "The smaller and cheaper the better." It's a big city with a whole range of house prices and types of neighborhoods. As for "least expensive," you could probably find a house for under USD$10,000, but it wouldn't have indoor plumbing or electricity (maybe not even a roof) and would be in a neighborhood where it's not safe to go out after dark. The idea of purchasing an apartment is a rather foreign concept in Merida. There are a few condos, but the ones I know of aren't in the inexpensive price range. Also, keep in mind that ready-to-move-into houses for sale are rare. Most need lots of work unless they're new houses recently built by contractors, and those aren't cheap.<p> Your best bet would be to come to Merida, rent a place temporarily, spend some time becoming familiar with the city, and see what's available in your price range. With the large influx of people moving to Merida from other parts of Mexico, real estate prices have increased drastically during the past few years. I'm afraid the days of easily finding nice little houses in decent neighborhoods for under USD$30,000 are long gone. <p>A word of caution about Merida real estate agents along with those claiming to be real estate agents. You definitely get what you pay for when talking about their services. In other words, most of the "cheap" ones don't know squat about real estate and even less about the complications involved for foreigners to buy property in Merida. <p>____________________ <p>: I am thinking about moving to Merida and would like to purchase an apartment or small house, the smaller and cheaper the better. How much do the least expensive places go for in Mexico?<p>

Peggy

Post #3 of 5 (6062 views)

Shortcut

Try www.miguelsmexico.com for Merida house info

Can't Post |
They're very friendly and helpful, and have apartments and houses in many price ranges and locations. Good luck from lakeside.

Andy

Post #4 of 5 (6075 views)

Shortcut

Diario Yucatan classified ads

Can't Post |
Alex,<p>My wife is from Merida and this is her recommendation for you go to www.yucatan.com.mx and look in the classified section. The city is broken up into sections you would want to stay North of the center. The southern half of town gets pretty rough. The North and NE is nice but $$$. Maybe you will find something small and affordable there.
Good luck<p>

Khaki

Nov 12, 2002, 3:36 PM

Post #5 of 5 (6063 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex] Looking for Merida apartment

Can't Post |
The English Library has a bulletin board with rentals and some for sale. I saw a 2 bedroom house for $15,000 - but it was in a village outside of town. Good luck.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4