Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

arbon

Jan 22, 2012, 11:42 AM

Post #1 of 30 (8197 views)

Shortcut

Canadian woman turned away from 2 private clinics

Can't Post |
Canadian woman with serious head injuries , IN 5 star hotel near Mazatlan.

Turned away from 2 private clinics.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

arbon

Jan 22, 2012, 12:12 PM

Post #2 of 30 (8187 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] Canadian woman turned away from 2 private clinics

Can't Post |
http://translate.google.ca/...es.php%3Fid%3D749984

http://www.noroeste.com.mx/...ciones.php?id=749984
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vichil

Jan 22, 2012, 12:59 PM

Post #3 of 30 (8176 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post | Private Reply
It happened at 2am not pm . I wonder why google would translate o2.10 h by pm when PM would be 14h.

It is a sad story but hings happen when you go out drinking at 2am .

rockydog85251

Jan 22, 2012, 3:20 PM

Post #4 of 30 (8157 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] Canadian woman turned away from 2 private clinics

My momma always told me to believe none of what I heard and half of what I saw..........
Willie

mazbook1

Jan 22, 2012, 5:20 PM

Post #5 of 30 (8134 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] Canadian woman turned away from 2 private clinics

In reading the Spanish version, I do believe it really happened, as it seems that she "entertained" the wrong guy. It doesn't say whether it was in her room or his, but if they were drinking at the Riu bar, and weren't staying in the same room, he must have been a guest also, as "passes" for a non-guest to eat, drink and use the facilities of the Riu (a totally all-inclusive hotel) are quite expensive.

As far as being "turned away at two private clinics" is concerned, my only question is why the Cruz Roja guys even TOOK her first to any of the expensive tourist "private clinics". None of the private clinics have emergency rooms equipped for this sort of thing. Even most of the private hospitals don't have fully equipped and staffed emergency rooms, particularly at 2 or 3 a.m.

It might be interesting to those on this forum to note that the investigating police are from the STATE Agencia del Ministerio Público Especializada en Delitos contra turistas y de Delitos Sexuales y Violencia Intrafamiliar. Sinaloa is a fairly progressive state in that it has well enforced laws about interfamilial violence, i.e., wife beating. A number of years ago a newly elected Presidente del Municipio de Mazatlán – commonly referred to as Mayor or Alcalde – was jailed and was removed from office by a vote of the state legislature when he drunkenly beat his wife.

(This post was edited by mazbook1 on Jan 22, 2012, 5:28 PM)

morgaine7

Jan 22, 2012, 6:01 PM

Post #6 of 30 (8115 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Canadian woman turned away from 2 private clinics

As far as being "turned away at two private clinics" is concerned, my only question is why the Cruz Roja guys even TOOK her first to any of the expensive tourist "private clinics". None of the private clinics have emergency rooms equipped for this sort of thing. Even most of the private hospitals don't have fully equipped and staffed emergency rooms, particularly at 2 or 3 a.m.

I was wondering about that. Maybe the clinics turned her away because they couldn't treat her injuries.

Kate

Marlene / Moderator

Jan 23, 2012, 8:36 AM

Post #7 of 30 (8050 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Canadian woman turned away from 2 private clinics

According to RIU employees, she is traveling with her husband, also a Canadian. They were seen drinking at the hotel bar until 2 a.m. when they were then seen going up to their room together. Same room. The Canadian media is having it's usual field day against Mexico, even though NO details have been publicly released. Hopefully she will be okay and make a full recovery.

(This post was edited by Marlene on Jan 23, 2012, 8:42 AM)

La Isla

Jan 23, 2012, 9:12 AM

Post #8 of 30 (8041 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Canadian woman turned away from 2 private clinics

In Reply To
The Canadian media is having it's usual field day against Mexico, even though NO details have been publicly released.

What is it with the Canadian media and Mexico? They seem to have it in for Mexico even more than the US media. Just wondering . . .

Marlene / Moderator

Jan 23, 2012, 9:28 AM

Post #9 of 30 (8035 views)

Shortcut

http://thechronicleherald.ca/...after-beating-resort

joaquinx

Jan 23, 2012, 10:31 AM

Post #10 of 30 (8018 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |

In Reply To
According to RIU employees, she is traveling with her husband, also a Canadian. They were seen drinking at the hotel bar until 2 a.m. when they were then seen going up to their room together. Same room.

I read no mention of her husband. Have the Mexican police interviewed him?
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Marlene / Moderator

Jan 23, 2012, 10:44 AM

Post #11 of 30 (8012 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Canadian woman turned away from 2 private clinics

There is an investigation going on, but nothing has been publicly released by any officials. The information in the link I posted is a result of a family member speaking to the press in Canada.

Vichil

Jan 23, 2012, 6:36 PM

Post #12 of 30 (7963 views)

Shortcut

The whole story smells. She was no teenager, 37, married with her husband on vacations with her and some uncle identified her? Where was the husband , why wasn´he with her going from one hospital to another?.
Where did she go? In her room with her husband or with some other guy? Did she open the door to the wrong guy? But all along where was the husband?
The Canadian Press is making a huge deal about Canadian´s death but glosses over many details of the causes of death.
People get killed for many reasons and I do not believe Canadians are a target. They happen to be doing things they should n´t be doing or being there at the wrong place at the wrong time.
The Canadian Press would get much more credibility if they tried to get to the bottom of the stories rather than blame big bad Mexico for everything.
It is sad that these people get hurt or get killed and we should not blame the victims but people should get smart and be responsible for their actions.

CanuckBob

Jan 27, 2012, 3:31 PM

Post #13 of 30 (7828 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] Canadian woman turned away from 2 private clinics

A Mexican national has been arrested for this beating.

http://news.ca.msn.com/...ng-of-canadian-woman

Bob
Inside Lakeside
http://www.insidelakeside.com

surebought

Jan 28, 2012, 7:13 PM

Post #14 of 30 (7756 views)

Shortcut

After reading the account of the arrest of the suspect in the brutal beating of a Canadian women in Mazatlan, only confirms my theory that there is something wrong mentally with at least 20% of the local male population. I run into Chumacos like that all the time. An Antonio Banderas wannabe trying to get by on his cute looks by making his way trying to gigolo the North American Female Tourists. These guys are just pathetic, clueless, worthless individuals. What a waist of two lives for nothing. I almost wish they didn't let these suspects answer questions from the press because it contributes to the racist notion that there is nobody stupider or easier to catch, than an Mexican crook.

Marlene / Moderator

Jan 29, 2012, 7:06 AM

Post #15 of 30 (7712 views)

Shortcut

Re: [surebought] Canadian woman turned away from 2 private clinics

Don't be surprised that this story may have a few more twists to it yet. It's had plenty so far, for those following it closely.

"The Canadian friend of the suspect and his mother have allegedly fled Mazatlan. Police are investigating whether any accessory charges need to be laid."

Read it on Global News: Global Edmonton | Mexican suspect in beating of Calgary woman confesses to media

(This post was edited by Marlene on Jan 29, 2012, 7:06 AM)

joaquinx

Jan 29, 2012, 7:24 AM

Post #16 of 30 (7704 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |

He said that she was naked and the two began talking.

http://tinyurl.com/7kwqcgr

This story gets more bizarre every day.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

La Isla

Jan 29, 2012, 9:34 AM

Post #17 of 30 (7676 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Canadian woman turned away from 2 private clinics

In Reply To

He said that she was naked and the two began talking.

http://tinyurl.com/7kwqcgr

This story gets more bizarre every day.[/reply.

Indeed it is! The attacker says that when he got on an elevator in the hotel, the victim was inside, apparently without wearing any clothes. How weird is that.

Brian

Jan 29, 2012, 11:24 AM

Post #18 of 30 (7655 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] "A quick conclusion for Mexican police"

This is a publicity stunt staged by the Mexican secretary of tourism. We have seen induced confessions before but never parading the suspect before the news media and requiring that he answer their questions without the benefit of a lawyer present. This is a tragic event but if the intention is to inspire confidence in the Mexican legal system's protection of tourists, it is an absurd failure.

http://www.GlobalNews.ca/...91064509#top+stories

(This post was edited by Brian on Jan 29, 2012, 1:11 PM)

RickS

Jan 29, 2012, 2:28 PM

Post #19 of 30 (7604 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] "A quick conclusion for Mexican police"

"We have seen induced confessions before..."

Brian, are you suggesting that his young man's 'confession' (the story he tells on the video) was induced? Do you mean 'concocted'? I'm puzzled.

Rolly

Jan 29, 2012, 2:28 PM

Post #20 of 30 (7604 views)

Shortcut

This kind of "show off the bad guy" happens all the time.
Don't try to apply USA justice rules to México. The systems operate with different frames of reference.
Ernest Miranda was in the USA, not México, when his case give rise to the guarantee of a lawyer when requested.

Rolly Pirate

surebought

Jan 29, 2012, 3:08 PM

Post #21 of 30 (7590 views)

Shortcut

Yes, this is how its done here. They capture a suspect and parade him in front of the News Media and he is free to answer questions if he wants to. They don't do that in the States for obvious reasons, but here, it is the norm. Most hang their heads in shame, but some like this guy really really try to make light of it like they have been sent the Principals office. I wonder what his mother thinks? Dumb as a sack full of hammers. He might be hoping that if he shows remorse and confesses like a good Catholic, all will be forgiven. He might be right and get a lighter sentence. He will never even see a judge. He will probably begin a long sentence within weeks. I hope our man in Mazatlan with book store follows this case to the end and keeps us updated with what happens now(Crime and Punishment). It is all right to prejudge here if someone doesn't look right, but this poor women couldn't just run away.

Brian

Jan 29, 2012, 3:11 PM

Post #22 of 30 (7589 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] "A quick conclusion for Mexican police"

In Reply To
This kind of "show off the bad guy" happens all the time.

Posed pictures of arrestees (usually with tables containing weapons or kilos of dope) are a time honored tradition. Often they show multiple bruises from the confessions that are beaten out of them. I have followed the Mexican media for many years without the need for Google Translator and never have seen a press conference in which the criminal makes his confession to the reporters with the cameras rolling. I will repeat that this was staged and is a desperate measure to try to assuage concerns of the foreign tourism industry.

(This post was edited by Brian on Jan 29, 2012, 3:17 PM)

Brian

Jan 29, 2012, 3:39 PM

Post #23 of 30 (7578 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] "A quick conclusion for Mexican police"

In Reply To
"We have seen induced confessions before..."

Brian, are you suggesting that his young man's 'confession' (the story he tells on the video) was induced? Do you mean 'concocted'? I'm puzzled.

There is no reason to believe that the story was concocted nor that he is innocent of the charge. However I strongly suspect that the young man was convinced that it would go easy on him if he admitted what he had done. Many times suspects are beaten in the jails or submitted to forms of torture. Long before I ever heard about "waterboarding", I was aware of a practice at La Ocho (Tijuana Jail) in which a coke bottle was shaken, his head was forced back and the fizz was forced into the nostrils of the arrestee. No visible signs of abuse but very effective in eliciting confessions or other information. Sophisticated criminals knew that they might as well start talking when the investigator puts on a plastic poncho and asks "Quieres refresco?"

(This post was edited by Brian on Jan 29, 2012, 4:32 PM)

surebought

Jan 29, 2012, 6:23 PM

Post #24 of 30 (7539 views)

Shortcut

Brian, I really think your way off here. I could see torture, if the suspect was hiding his loot or drugs somewhere and the Police wanted to find it, but here there is nothing to be gained by torturing him into confessing. He was caught on tape. Did he look beaten up to you. They know that capturing and parading him is not going to get them any publicity at all in the States or Canada so why bother, if its not true. Only the locals are going to see it anyway except for maybe you and me. Things have really changed down here since the Calle Ocho days. Wasn't that in the 1970's?

Brian

Jan 29, 2012, 6:47 PM

Post #25 of 30 (7531 views)

Shortcut

Re: [surebought] "A quick conclusion for Mexican police"

" They know that capturing and parading him is not going to get them any publicity at all in the States or Canada so why bother, if its not true."

I think we are like the proverbial two blind guys describing an elephant from positions on either end. In this case, the press conference made the news in Canada as evidenced by the video which was obtained from a Canadian news source. It has the effect of assuring the public that the right guy was caught. I'm not saying that he was actually tortured or beaten but often just the possibility is enough for criminals to confess when they would otherwise remain silent. Re: the Police in Tijuana, that long-standing tactic was still employed in the late 90's when the wannabe narcojuniors were apprehended and made to cough up (literally) information about the Arellano brothers. La Ocho is no more but there is no reason to assume, as Rolly mentions, that due process and humane treatment of arrestees is part of contemporary Mexican law enforcement.

(This post was edited by Brian on Jan 29, 2012, 6:56 PM)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4