Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

babycakes

Jan 19, 2012, 12:23 PM

Post #1 of 21 (16661 views)

Shortcut

Moving from DF to Ensenada? "Tijuana Lite"

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am an American citizen, my husband a Mexican national, and our son who has dual citizenship. We've been living in the U.S. (legally) but have recently moved back to Mexico City, where he is from, and where we have lived together before (due to the lack of work in the States).
My husband had a preliminary interview for a job in Ensenada- they are offering a decent bit more than what he was making when we were living in DF two years prior.

I would like to know more about Ensenada, and the cost of living, quality of living, and safety. I feel really safe in Mexico City actually, it seems like the drug wars are taking more of a toll on the border states.

I wonder if the cost of living is more in Ensenada due to its proximity to the Pacific and California/US. At the same time, DF is a megametropolis, and it can be pretty expensive, relatively speaking here as well.

As far as the quality, since DF is so big and its the capital, I know that I can find whatever kind of education I want to or need to for my children. Especially with UNAM prep schools here... I dont know if those can be found throughout the country or not.

Also, what would you say the "personality" of Ensenada is? For ex. Xalapa I found to be all-natural, hippesque, and slow going. Palenque- ancient Oaxaca- a moderninzing city with strong ties to its cultural roots Guadalajara, very proudly and authentically Mexican, Puerto Vallarta, a wanna be Cancun, and well, Cancun is Cancun. And I was in Tijuana 10 years ago, and I have yet to find someone with a really good opinion of Tijuana---
and I have heard Ensenada described as "Tijuana lite". Guess I am trying to figure out if the city would be right for us.

Thanks for the help!

chicois8

Jan 19, 2012, 1:38 PM

Post #2 of 21 (16643 views)

Shortcut

Re: [babycakes] Moving from DF to Ensenada? "Tijuana Lite"

Puerto Vallarta was a city/beach resort when Cancun was still a sand spit...

Folks usually stop in Ensenada for beer,tequila and pesos from and ATM on their way to the great parts of Baja....
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

morgaine7

Jan 19, 2012, 4:50 PM

Post #3 of 21 (16621 views)

Shortcut

I've never been to Ensenada, but from what I've read, I picture it as a large suburbia with a lot of US influence and a huge population of US expats. Probably quite different from Mexico City and sort of "Mexico Lite" in a way, being so near the border. There are people on the TalkBaja forum http://www.talkbaja.com/ who live in that area and seem to like it, so you might try posting there as well.

Kate

surebought

Jan 27, 2012, 8:16 AM

Post #4 of 21 (16471 views)

Shortcut

What would I say about Ensenada? I have lived here for 22 years. I like living here, but I would like to make a few points. You should be for warned that Mexicans who move here from the mainland, say it is a weird place by their standards. It is very closed off socially to outsiders as far as the locals are concerned. The locals are different here than they are on the mainland. They are much more of a problem solving type of people than mainlanders. They are not too eccentric like Guadalajara. "We don't need those Communists in DF telling us how to live." Mexican Democracy began here with the first PAN mayor who later became the first PAN Governor, paving the way for the first PAN President. It is an important city politically. It is a much more important city politically than its population would indicate.
It is so far from DF and so close to Gringolandia. They exaggerate the amount of the Gringo population. It is nowhere near what the media says it is. The Tourism has really been hit by the recession in the US. It has almost a perfect climate. Even on the hottest summer day, the breeze blows like an air conditioner off the ocean. Whenever I leave and go to Veracruz, I really do appreciate the great weather we have in Ensenada. According to the local Newspaper, there are 35,000 single mothers living in Ensenada. That tidbit should be printed on a T Shirt and you should take that into consideration being a married female. At one end of town is the Cement Factory and the other side of town is the Beer Can Factory. Fender Guitar is maybe the third largest employer. It is more expensive than the mainland. The outskirts look almost exactly like the outskirts of Oaxaca. It does not have the San Fransisco like charm of Xalapa. There is a Winey Foodie crowd of Gringos and an a vibrant Art community. The monyied people all want or have Vineyards. It does not rain very much here, but there is a high water table. It has a very mountainous desert sort of landscape. Look me up when you get here.

babycakes

Jan 27, 2012, 10:44 AM

Post #5 of 21 (16452 views)

Shortcut

Re: [surebought] Moving from DF to Ensenada? "Tijuana Lite"

Thank you for the wonderful insight! And rather neutral at that. Would you say the cost of living is higher than in D.F.? Usually "big city" living is more expensive than other parts of any country.
And I can help but wonder, and pardon my ignorance... how should I interpret the 35,000 single mothers thing as a married woman?

La Isla

Jan 27, 2012, 11:56 AM

Post #6 of 21 (16437 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

And I can help but wonder, and pardon my ignorance... how should I interpret the 35,000 single mothers thing as a married woman?

Perhaps surebrought meant that some of these single mothers might be on the prowl for a gringo sugar-daddy to supplement their incomes.

babycakes

Jan 27, 2012, 11:59 AM

Post #7 of 21 (16434 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Moving from DF to Ensenada? "Tijuana Lite"

Yea, I think I figured it out! I told my husband the numbers and he said, "Ya vamos!"

surebought

Jan 27, 2012, 1:38 PM

Post #8 of 21 (16425 views)

Shortcut

Yes, that is what I was getting at. Even at 60, I still get that; "are you separated?", kinds of questions from women younger than my daughters. "Maybe you have a brother or if not, maybe a son," one asked the other day. If I was single, I could date women that looked like Penelope Cruz. There are a lot more women than men here at all age levels. I hope that you laughed when he said, Ya Vamonos.
Oh I forgot to mention about security. The Army is everywhere. On my weekly trip to the states I pass through seven checkpoints including border crossings. It is a lot safer than it was. And it is not really a smuggling relay point anyway - anymore.
Like anywhere, I suppose, if you eat out a lot, its expensive. If you buy in the market and cook, then you can live well cheaply. There are some good schools here. I am afraid its private schools for your son and they can be in the $300US range per month. You can't even consider a Government School. They say UABC is a really good University. My daughter graduated from Cetys and she is now going to the University of the Americas in Puebla and doing her thesis. She is way more focused than her American Cousins that are around the same age. Overall I am very happy with her education.
If you are used to D.F., you might have to slow down a bit. The pace is a little bit less intense. You will probably find a few people that you have something in common with around here.

tezalan47

Jan 28, 2012, 4:04 AM

Post #9 of 21 (16384 views)

Shortcut

Hi surebrought , Ive been registered on this website for more than 4 months & this is the first time Ive got REAL info regarding Ensenada , thanks very much. My wife is Mexican & Im English ( living in Valencia Spain ) , weve looked at retireing ( por fin) in San Carlos ( Sonora) BUT to hot in the summer months !!!!! Which is why were are looking at living in Ensenada . The local papers ( via the internet ) are very useful but PRACTICAL experience of people who live there are more important. We intend in march to take a few days holiday , to look around at different areas in Ensenada ( to buy a house ) , from your experience are there any zones TO AVOID ?? We are not sure if we want to live in a "gated community" or not ?Regarding th cost of living , my wife who is from Hermosillo , I assume that the costs are approx. the same ( apart from less expensive for air conditioning). We hope ( after selling our house ) to be moving to Ensenada before the end of 2012 ??? We shall proberly rent for a few months until we decide WHERE we want to buy !! Michisimo gracias por tu informacin. Saludos Terry
Hi , to all in Mexico Im from Spain & shall br moving to Ensenada next year (2012) . My wife is Mexican & Im English . At the moment we live in Valencia ; weve visited & looked at SAN CARLOS ( Sonora ) but I could not stand the summer HEAT !!!! Oh those English mad dogs

surebought

Jan 28, 2012, 8:17 AM

Post #10 of 21 (16367 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tezalan47] Moving from DF to Ensenada? "Tijuana Lite"

There are some people from England living here. There is an English fellow named Frank and he has a website called garponline.com. He might be someone the connect with. But the European population is mostly German. I am of German decent myself. Most have Mexican Wives. You won't need a heater or an air conditioner here in Ensenada, ever. San Carlos is very hot about 4 months of the year but the winters are mild. I was just there a month ago. Hermosillo is not what its name would imply in Spanish. Guaymas has seen much better days. If you move to Ensenada, I would recommend that you live within the City, instead of the arrendadores. You wife will be happier to be around people. And by all means, start out by renting. People make that mistake of buying the first place they like and then six months later they regret it because they could have gotten a lot more for their money if they had waited and shopped around more. Gated communities? I can't really think of any that are inside the City. Ensenada is hemmed in by mountains and can't really grow much except to the south. Upon reflection, I think Ensenada might be somewhat cheaper because they are reducing the subsidies on running the Air Conditioning 24/7 during the summer in Sonora. Without Air Conditioning, in Sonora, you might as well be living in the Sudan. European people seem to really take to Ensenada. I do enjoy the Grand Prix Cars racing through the streets of Valencia every year. It does sort of remind me of the Port area of Ensenada, but Ensenada is not as fixed up. Thank you for appreciating my take on living here.

RickS

Jan 28, 2012, 9:16 AM

Post #11 of 21 (16357 views)

Shortcut

As a public service ( I hold ABSOLUTELY no interest in this property!), you might take a look at the link below. Maybe surebought could/would address the area where it is located.....

http://www.mexconnect.com/cgi-bin/forums/gforum.cgi?post=161481;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_expanded;;page=unread#unread

tezalan47

Jan 28, 2012, 10:06 AM

Post #12 of 21 (16343 views)

Shortcut

Hi surebought , many thanks for your reply , I hope we are not going to get involved with the ANGLO/ ENGLISH course !!!!!! NO ESPRAGRAGEN INGLIS !!!! VIVA la cummunida de europa ???? thanks for the info regarding "Frank " , Ill contact them also . However Im more SPANGLISH than English & enjoy the way of life better than England,( hola buenas dis, comestas , buenas tardes) , when you meet someone in the street or the bar & dont just pass them by, as in England!!!! I am addicted to formula 1 , & even here in Spain I get up at 4 in the morning to watch some grand prixs, yes Ive even been to Monaco , France ,barcelona , Italy , etc., to watch the GP LIVE. I agree with you that Hermosillo does not live up to its Spanish translation!!!! Although my wife would disagree with you !!! There are MANY gated communities close to ensenada/rositero that weve looked at ( via the internet) however we would prefer to live in the REAL world rather than be " closed in" I spent many years in the ROYAL NAVY & enjoy living with real people in there normal " HABITAT" rather than protected from the things in real life. Yes I know that Mexico is a little different, but there again there are certain parts of Valencia that we would not visit at NIGHT , the same as London.New york, Boston,Madrid, Paris, etc. if you are carerfull all parts of the world are reasonable safe.As I said WE SHALL be moving to Endenada hopefully before the end of this year (2012) , my wife & I are VERY mixable people & will mix with all people regardless of their status , as Ive said Ive lived in various towns in my life & in a very short time have made friends quite quickly as has my wife. Ill contact FRANK , but with your experience are there any parts of Ensenada that wecshould CROSS of our list , as regards NOT to buy?? Saludos Terr
Hi , to all in Mexico Im from Spain & shall br moving to Ensenada next year (2012) . My wife is Mexican & Im English . At the moment we live in Valencia ; weve visited & looked at SAN CARLOS ( Sonora ) but I could not stand the summer HEAT !!!! Oh those English mad dogs

surebought

Jan 28, 2012, 10:11 AM

Post #13 of 21 (16341 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Moving from DF to Ensenada? "Tijuana Lite"

I pass that resort every week but I have never stopped. It is about 30 miles up the coast from Ensenada. It looks really expensive with its Bright White color scheme. I would not recommend buying there because although it is right on the ocean, it is kind of far from services. Where are you going to buy a loaf of bread? It is a 10 mile drive to sensible shopping. And another important consideration. When it comes time to sell. The only other buyers are going to be other Americans. A place like that would not be of interest to Mexicans. If you are really going to go to the trouble of buying Real Estate here and are thinking that it is an investment, I believe that it is imperative to buy something from the get go that would also appeal to a Mexican buyer. That is the trouble with these Gringo Ghettos. Everybody gets old and dies off at once and there is nobody new to buy the children out. There is no local interest at all in these developments so they eventually become like ghost towns. I don't think there are any title problems with that development. The 30 year trust was first used here in Baja in 1972 to correct a lot of outright fraud to the American buyers. Each development has its own story and you can't do too much research. You really have to watch yourself here in Baja with buying in these Ocean Front developments. That's why I say buy inside the city where there are established precedents and chain of title. And more than a few people I know who have bought in what can only be described as rural areas even though they are on the ocean, end up moving into Ensenada anyway because they can't take the full time isolation. With me, it is all about choice. Life is about minimizing regret, so be careful about getting yourself in Real Estate entanglements without doing a lot of due diligence . And negotiate until it looks like an absolute steal because there are no buyers at all right now.

surebought

Feb 2, 2012, 8:42 AM

Post #14 of 21 (16184 views)

Shortcut

Your question about good and bad areas got me thinking about something. There are no suburbs here in the American sense. If there was an American Style Freeway here you would be here and gone in about 5 minutes. There was never any need for White Flight. People buy their homes and keep them. Some areas are more run down than others, but I think my best advise is to buy a Home that would also appeal to Mexicans. That way you have more of a market when the time comes to sell.

So you were in the Royal Navy. When you enter the Ensenada Harbor by boat, I always hope the other people do not notice the two PT World War 2 Boats that stand guard over the City. I guess we are supposed to run into the mountains if we are invaded(LOL). I joke with Mexican Navy Officials that it sure would be nice if they could home port an Aircraft Carrier or a Nuclear Submarine here to make us feel a little more comfortable and help the economy(That is a joke. Mexico does not have any Aircraft Carriers or Submarines). Once many years ago the Western Fleet came a calling into Ensenada. It was two small Frigates and some sort of landing ship(all World War Two vintage). That Russian Spy ship during the Cold War could easily out run them. The ship would come in and refuel and then leave and the Navy would chase after it for a while then give up.

tezalan47

Feb 2, 2012, 10:33 AM

Post #15 of 21 (16168 views)

Shortcut

Hi surebought , Ive tried looking up "garponline " but there various different web sites !!! if you like & are in contact with him , by all means give him my emial address .
Regarding navies , Ill tell you a REAL story ; The Royal Navy ( mediteranian fleet) was on excercises with the American (mediterenian lFeet) , I was on HMS EAGLE ( then the LARGEST ship in the Royal Navy) & our submarine ( HMS dreadnought went BELOW ) USSN ENTERPRISE for 2 days BEFORE they discovered she was there!!!!!!! However when we went into Naples for some R & R , we ( HMS EAGLE) was moored alongside USSN Enterprise & we looked like a "liberty ship"!!!!!!! Following various meetings , the yanks where surprised that we were not a "DRY" ship and really enjoyed our "GROG"!!!!!
Are FREEWAYS the same as " AUTOBANS , MOTORWAYS, or AUTOVIAS" ?? As the only time Ive been to the USA is in the ROYAL NAVY , ( BOSTON , NEW YORK , ect. ) on good will tours ( Ive many other stories about New york , Boston , Etc) maybe some day well meet and talk sea shanties. OOOOOO what it was like to go ashore in a English uniform !!!!! Im dreaming again (OOOOOO YES) , those were the days ( my friend) , do you remember the song!!!!

Anyway regarding Ensenada , reading the local paper( via internet) it would appear that more problem ocour in areas close to the beaches than in the city!! is this correct ? Or it just during the summer months?
I dont know if Ive mentioned , we have 2 dogs ( 1 husky x lab. and the other a Golden ) and the both like running along the beach ( here in Spain this can only be done OUR OF SEASON), chasing the waves and going into the sea , we would therefore like to look for a house close to the beaches( of which there are many in Ensenada)

Who said the south of Spain was hot and sunny??? Today ( thursday 2nd ) mid-day temperature was ONLY 8c and the information it is going to get colder this week-end ( gracias a dios para la calefacin central y la chimeaia).

Anyway if you or anyone else can furnish us with more information regarding Ensenada please feel free to do so, many thanks, Oh bye the way I really enjoy Kareoke , are there any kareoke bars in Ensenada?

chicois8

Feb 2, 2012, 12:04 PM

Post #16 of 21 (16146 views)

Shortcut

Does the town of Ensenada have a beach?
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

surebought

Feb 2, 2012, 3:55 PM

Post #17 of 21 (16130 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Moving from DF to Ensenada? "Tijuana Lite"

Hello, Yes, Ensenada has a beach and they are in the process of having a seaside road all the way to the Army Base. If you are looking at a map, the beach begins at the southern loop of the periferico and heads down and ends near Estero Beach. Then there is an Estuary and it picks up again on the other side down to Punta Banda.

prorader

Jul 18, 2012, 3:50 PM

Post #18 of 21 (13872 views)

Shortcut

The Royal Navy, me retired US Army. Take a look at Punta Banda, the spit south of Ensenada. I am renting a 2 bdrm, 1bath house, with a casita 1 bdrm, 1bath on the beach. My understanding that Baja Mexico is Mexico but not Mexico, the rules and life is different. but if you like mild temps and the big pacific, fishing and water this is the place. A little bit colder, deep cold water good pacific air Ensenada is 45 mins away

(This post was edited by prorader on Jul 18, 2012, 3:58 PM)

tezalan47

Jul 28, 2012, 10:16 PM

Post #19 of 21 (13693 views)

Shortcut

Re: [prorader] Moving from DF to Ensenada? "Tijuana Lite"

Hi prorader, we shall be visiting Ensenada at the end of October to look at renting a house from the end of november . On you post to me you have a 2 bed house possible for rent , could you send me some photos? Whats the rental price ( min 6 months) . You con contact me by email at tezalan47@hotmail.com , please take into account the time difference here in Spain ( 9 hous AHEAD of yourselves) . Thanking you in advance , Terry Maddox

tezalan47

Nov 6, 2012, 9:40 AM

Post #20 of 21 (12124 views)

Shortcut

WOW , what an exsperience that was!!!! 5 days spent in Ensenada looking around for houses & not knowing the area AT ALL; we contacted EVERY "inmobelaria / estate agent " by phone & email & visited some of them, some of them ( who advertise on US sites ) never even bothered replying!!! , 1 had an address on their web site but this turned out to be a RESTRAURANT!!!!!! However we did find 2 very good Mexican agents who showed us around & where very good ( if any one requires their tel/email , drop me a line & Ill forward them to you). We fell in love with PUNTA BANDA & have decided to find some where to rent in this area for 6 to 12 months before buying land/ house . Most of the houses we looked at where fine BUT most did NOT have gardens ( we have 2 dogs ) only PATIOS which where cemented , easy to clean & low maintenance I suppose. We really love the area & shall be retiring their & enjoying the rest of our lives in the area . So we shall keep on looking , if anyone has any contacts or houses to rent ( with a garden ) that allows pets, please feel free to contact me at any time. I would like to thank all of those who offered us information on Ensenada

fiadabrat

Nov 16, 2012, 11:24 PM

Post #21 of 21 (11900 views)

Shortcut

i live in tijuana and i actually love it as the wife of a deportee we will be waiting our ban out in mexico with our children the rent in tijuana is much higher then ensenada my 2 room no running water living quarters on a busy street runs about a hundred dollars a month i have wonderful neighbors and have never met so many kind people in my life. my friend also the wife of a deportee lives in ensenada i waited 3 weeks at her place in ensenada for my husbands arrival and it is absolutely beautiful her apartment fully furnished running water all appliances are hers but the apartments are brand new shes lived there for a yr they have tile and a closed in parking area for the same rent i pay 1200 pesos its like a regular apartment and the neighborhood is so peaceful its close to the beach only downfall in ensenada is the water is salty extremely salty i havent drank water not bought in mexico other then in michoacan but this water is so salty u can taste it,also cause utensils and dinnerware to slightly rust but if i could id live in ensenada any day Tijuana is just better for me and my children to have closer accsess to the border. in ensenada ive seen alot of medical students i also know when i was looking into schooling for myself a school in ensenada came up on the list for fasa so im sure its a accredited school good luck

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4