Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Mexico City & Surroundings

Brian

Jan 12, 2012, 6:01 AM

Post #1 of 6 (6590 views)

Shortcut

"We are no longer shocked"

Can't Post | Private Reply
The narcos are trying to leave an impression on the wealthy and most protected members of Mexico City's society.

http://apnews.myway.com/...20112/D9S774480.html

joaquinx

Jan 12, 2012, 7:04 AM

Post #2 of 6 (6578 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] "We are no longer shocked"

Thinning the herd!
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Brian

Jan 12, 2012, 7:29 AM

Post #3 of 6 (6569 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] "We are no longer shocked"

I tried to edit my original post with IPad and lost it all. Anyway, I volunteer in Austin helping recent immigrants with English. Last week, I was talking with a young man from El DF and remarked that it seemed the capital is not overly affected by the cartels as elsewhere. His facial expression, while respectful, lead me to believe that he thought I was either incredibly naive or completely out of my mind.

whynotwrite

Jan 12, 2012, 9:05 AM

Post #4 of 6 (6538 views)

Shortcut

Mexico DF, one of the largest cities in the world and you don´t think the drug dealers are in business there? The gangs (or cartels if it makes a differance) have been running DF long before Chapo was out of Pampers.

esperanza

Jan 12, 2012, 9:53 AM

Post #5 of 6 (6522 views)

Shortcut

French philosopher and author Simone de Beauvoir wrote, "The most scandalous thing about scandal is that one gets used to it." So it is also with this ongoing horror in Mexico.

Narcoviolencia has recently been confined to the areas around Iztapalapa, Tláhuac, and Chalco, in the outlying southeastern parts of Mexico City--at the border of the State of Mexico. These bodies dumped in Santa Fe, far north in Mexico City, were not apparently deprived of life in Santa Fe. Dumping the bodies and their heads in the parking lot of the incredibly high-end mall was not an accident--no narco said, "Aha, here's a place to park, we'll leave the car and go the rest of the way home on foot."

The underlying message is unclear, but the message on the surface is obvious: nowhere in Mexico is exempt from the tragedy of this war. The government can clean up after this small mess, but it can't clean up the big mess.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Brian

Jan 12, 2012, 10:02 AM

Post #6 of 6 (6518 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] "We are no longer shocked"

In Reply To

The underlying message is unclear, but the message on the surface is obvious: nowhere in Mexico is exempt from the tragedy of this war. The government can clean up after this small mess, but it can't clean up the big mess.

A written message was left with the severed heads but, as often is the case, the police have chosen not to release it to the public. In my opinion, this only adds to the anxiety.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4