Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Mexico City & Surroundings

tonyburton / Moderator

Jan 10, 2012, 10:37 PM

Post #1 of 5 (6165 views)

Shortcut

Down and Delirious in Mexico City: Memoir by Daniel Hernandez digs deep into youth culture

Can't Post | Private Reply
Read Anthony Wright's review HERE
Sounds like a great book!

esperanza

Jan 11, 2012, 7:30 AM

Post #2 of 5 (6133 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Down and Delirious in Mexico City: Memoir by Daniel Hernandez digs deep into youth

Down and Delirious in Mexico City is definitely an interesting read, but IMHO it is more about the seamy-side youth culture here (goths, emos, latter-day hippies, etc) than it is about what most retirement-age folks want to know about the city.

I found it to be not as interesting and not as well-written as David Lida's First Stop in the New World, which is a marvelously fascinating collection of stories about where to go (and where to stay far away from!) in Mexico City.

For me, Hernández's book was a struggle to read. Lida's book was a struggle to put down.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Jan 11, 2012, 3:23 PM)

Rolly

Jan 11, 2012, 2:58 PM

Post #3 of 5 (6102 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Down and Delirious in Mexico City: Memoir by Daniel Hernandez digs deep into youth

I bought it for my Kindle this morning.
I've read about a third of it. Thus far it's pretty boring.
Unless it picks up soon, I'll chuck it.

Rolly Pirate

esperanza

Jan 11, 2012, 3:22 PM

Post #4 of 5 (6097 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Down and Delirious in Mexico City: Memoir by Daniel Hernandez digs deep into youth

It's more interesting if you are 22 and have a lot of your orifices and other appurtenances pierced. I think that lets both of us out, Rolly.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

TigerTonio

Jan 13, 2012, 6:09 AM

Post #5 of 5 (6030 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Down and Delirious in Mexico City: Memoir by Daniel Hernandez digs deep into youth

First Stop in the New World by David Lida certainly is a fascinating and captivating read on Mexico City, and it's a book I still refer to from time-to-time. =)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4