Jan 10, 2012, 5:26 AM
Post #1 of 3
4 pounds pork butt, cut into 2 inch cubes
1/2 a package of anchiote paste (50g)
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tbsp black pepper
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1 jalapeno peppers, rough chop
2 Fresno peppers, rough chop
1/4 cup bitter orange juice
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
4 garlic cloves
1 tbsp sea salt
1 shot tequila
1. Combine the anchiote paste, cumin, pepper, cloves, and allspice in a blender. Add the chopped jalapeno and Fresno peppers with the orange juice, vinegar, garlic and salt. Blend the dry spices with the liquid until smooth.
2. Add the juice of 5 lemons and the tequila. Blend again until it is well mixed:
3. Place the cubed pork butt in a large 2-gal zip lock bag and add the marinade. Marinate for a few hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
4. Setup the grill for 2 zone indirect cooking. Right around 325-350 degrees. I used pecan wood for smoke, any fruitwood is ideal.
5. Pour the pork and all of the marinade into a disposable aluminum pan, deep enough to hold it all and place it on the grill with the lid on. Cook for 2 hours.
6. Cover the foil pan with aluminum foil, crimp around the edges so no air escapes. Cook for 1 hour.
7. Check for tenderness, it’s done if the pork easily pulls apart. If not, let it cook longer until tender.