Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

fug

Jan 7, 2012, 1:26 PM

Post #1 of 10 (8636 views)

Shortcut

Welcome Home

Can't Post | Private Reply
How do you say it in Espanol? My gardener is returning from his first ever trip to the US to visit a son and daughter. He stayed for two months and did not like Los Estados Unidos. His wife did and she is staying until May. Just want to give him an appropriate welcome. What do I say after Bienvenidos? Thanks, fug

mazbook1

Jan 7, 2012, 1:46 PM

Post #2 of 10 (8632 views)

Shortcut

Re: [fug] Welcome Home

Bienvenido a su hogar unico, + name of town or city. That would do the job nicely since it recognizes that he feels his only home is the one in his town or city in México.

esperanza

Jan 7, 2012, 4:13 PM

Post #3 of 10 (8617 views)

Shortcut

Bienvenido a casa.

Not bienvenidos, because that would mean that two or more people have returned.

A casa=home.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

mazbook1

Jan 7, 2012, 5:20 PM

Post #4 of 10 (8609 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Welcome Home

esperanza, Your suggestion is just right and would be considered the normal thing to say. I only extended it using hogar instead of casa to recognize the fact that he was unhappy away from his true "homeplace". I think casa is the sort of generic home, as in "house", and hogar to be that "home is where the heart is" sort of home. At least that's the way I understood it when it was explained to me. Much like the semantic difference between house and home in English.

(This post was edited by mazbook1 on Jan 7, 2012, 5:24 PM)

tashby

Jan 7, 2012, 7:07 PM

Post #5 of 10 (8594 views)

Shortcut

This is interesting to me because I've often mentioned to Spanish speakers trying to learn English that we have the very common "Welcome back!" phrase for anyone returning (to anything/anywhere) after an absence. Whether it be to home.....or English class in my case....or wherever.

Is there an equivalent to that generic in Spanish, I wonder? Or do you just a default to bienvenido(s).

esperanza

Jan 7, 2012, 8:36 PM

Post #6 of 10 (8587 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Welcome Home

In Reply To
esperanza, Your suggestion is just right and would be considered the normal thing to say. I only extended it using hogar instead of casa to recognize the fact that he was unhappy away from his true "homeplace". I think casa is the sort of generic home, as in "house", and hogar to be that "home is where the heart is" sort of home. At least that's the way I understood it when it was explained to me. Much like the semantic difference between house and home in English.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

fug

Jan 8, 2012, 1:04 PM

Post #7 of 10 (8550 views)

Shortcut

Thanks Esperanza. I learn something from every one of your posts. Did not know that bienvenido(s) depended upon the number of folks I was welcoming. fug

La Isla

Jan 8, 2012, 2:41 PM

Post #8 of 10 (8532 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Thanks Esperanza. I learn something from every one of your posts. Did not know that bienvenido(s) depended upon the number of folks I was welcoming. fug

Since "bienvenido" is an adjective, it has to agree with the person or persons being welcomed home by gender as well as by number. So if the person returning home is a woman, that would be "bienvenida .

fug

Jan 9, 2012, 1:34 PM

Post #9 of 10 (8502 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Welcome Home

Thank you La Isla. Thought bienvenidos was bienvenidos, did not realize it went through sex change surgery when addessing a female. What if it is a male and female couple that I am welcoming? My guess is that it goes to the masculine, but don't really know, and have not been right so far. Do not tell anyone that I have lived here for close to 7 years. Let's keep it our little secret. fug

PS Said bienvenidos a casa to my gardener today after his first day back on the job after two months in Phoenix. Guess he thought I had learned Spanish in his two month"s absence, as he went off on a litany of things he did not like about the States. I nodded and smiled like the illiterate gringo that I am. Anyway, he is happy to be home and I am happy to have him back.

La Isla

Jan 9, 2012, 1:57 PM

Post #10 of 10 (8498 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Thank you La Isla. Thought bienvenidos was bienvenidos, did not realize it went through sex change surgery when addessing a female. What if it is a male and female couple that I am welcoming? My guess is that it goes to the masculine, but don't really know, and have not been right so far. Do not tell anyone that I have lived here for close to 7 years. Let's keep it our little secret. fug

I have a headstart on using Spanish correctly since I began my adult life as a Spanish teacher many moons ago : ) . Your guess is correct: if it is a male/female couple you are greeting, you would say "bienvenidos".

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4