Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

zoeemily

Jan 2, 2012, 10:53 PM

Post #1 of 5 (18493 views)

Shortcut

Papantla, Veracruz, Festival de Vainilla, Vanilla Festival

Can't Post | Private Reply
Does anyone know the dates for the Vanilla Festival in 2012? Thw website lists June 18th...but I'm not sure if it is for 2011 or 2012...
I'm trying to plan a trip around it.
Thanks for your help in advance.

chicois8

Jan 3, 2012, 6:38 AM

Post #2 of 5 (18480 views)

Shortcut

Re: [zoeemily] Papantla, Veracruz, Festival de Vainilla, Vanilla Festival

I would keep checking to make sure but I goggled it and it said on a website the 20th to 23 rd of April 2012.....good luck
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

Vichil

Jan 3, 2012, 4:24 PM

Post #3 of 5 (18440 views)

Shortcut

Re: [zoeemily] Papantla, Veracruz, Festival de Vainilla, Vanilla Festival

It is tied to the Corpus Cristi Festival which is 60 days after Easter so it will be sometimes in June not April. These festivals usually last the Novena and more often than not a couple of weeks or more.
As you get closer to the date call the Hotel El Tajin in Papantla or the chamber of commerce or casa de la cultura and they will give you details.
Do eat at the two restaurants on the plaza. The food is really good there. The one that has two floors is a little fancier. Try all the specialties in both of them.
We were there in October and the place had no tourists. We were the only people at El Tajin. I felt really bad for the guides but it was wonderful for us.
Visit Cuetzalan, puebla up the mountain, it has great food too and is a very attractive town. The women there have very pretty huipils and they also sell some flower pots for orchids made out of the root of a tree ferm only found up the mountain. I am very sorry I did not buy any. I knew I was going to buy vanilla orchids in Papantla so I figured I would find these pots down there but I was wrong..
Not far (one hour or 2) from Cuetzalan there is a village called Hueyapan where they make some pretty sweaters, one of the bettr coop is on the plaza(opposite side to the church) and they specialize in natural color dyes and have wonderful things there. Many other artisans work with acrylic but these ladies specialty is wool.

rudyayress

Mar 1, 2012, 1:30 AM

Post #4 of 5 (17804 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] Papantla, Veracruz, Festival de Vainilla, Vanilla Festival

I have also Googled it and found it to be from Oct 19, 2012 To Oct 21, 2012 in two sites! Now it is a mess which one is correct!

watch winder

Vichil

Mar 1, 2012, 6:34 AM

Post #5 of 5 (17793 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rudyayress] Papantla, Veracruz, Festival de Vainilla, Vanilla Festival

I guess you have to go to both festivals.. You can find vanilla in all kinds of form any time of the year so if you miss the festival you can always get the vanilla anyways, see El Tajin and enjoy the area.
A phone call to the office of tourism or to Ciy Hall or a hotel would clarify the date there may be a couple of Festivals one for the vanilla and the other for something else..
By the way a 3 day festival for the largest harvest around is unlikely. By the way what is the festival in October called? The one in June is La Feria de Corpus Cristi Papantla they may be both celerating Vanilla.

(This post was edited by Vichil on Mar 1, 2012, 6:39 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4