Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

SunFan

Dec 27, 2011, 6:22 AM

Post #1 of 23 (7253 views)

Shortcut

&^%##^&(* MajicJack in Lakeside

Can't Post | Private Reply
Iím trying (with little success) to use MajicJack PLUS here in Lakeside.
Iím in Upper Chula Vista using what TELMEX euphemistically calls a DSL service. The original basic service delivered ping at 248 ms, down load at .9 mbps and uplink at .09 mbps. I had the service upgraded to the next highest speed and this morning am enjoying anything from .48 to .59 mbps download and .04 to .08 mbps uplink!!!!!!!!
Yes I know I will get used to the Mexican way of doing business.
The problem with MajicJack is I get an error 401 message asking me to check my internet connection. Iíve now made 6 visits over 5 days to the MajicJack Live Agent. Iíve had all sorts of unbelievable explanations from my USB port doesnít supply enough power to Iíve got old software.
Each time I go through this ritualistic process of removing the MalicJack device from itís wireless router connection, plugging it into my laptop, downloading the latest version of their software, running a version of Hotspotshield, checking the system clock time and finally re-connecting the MajicJack to the router.
Miracle! I can place and receive a call or two for an hour or so then itís back to ďerror 401 please check your internet connectionĒ.
I suspect one of two problemsÖ.
TELMEXís internet is too slow (I can barely stream audio Ė forget video)
Or I have a DNS problem. TELMEX periodically refreshes my I/P and
MajicJack canít cope. Does MajicJack require a static I/P?
Help. Iím about to throw MJ into the lake. Any help would be most appreciated.
SunFan

PS Peter I should have the Shaw dish set up today. I ended up with two of the latest version LNBF. Is one of them of any use to anyone else?

Rolly

Dec 27, 2011, 6:43 AM

Post #2 of 23 (7249 views)

Shortcut

Re: [SunFan] &^%##^&(* MajicJack in Lakeside

There is another very likely culprit -- a faulty Telmex line. I recently had a lot of problems with slow and dropped connections. After too damn calls to the service center, a repairman came to the house, checked the line and declared it faulty, He replaced the line from the street to my house. Problem solved. The fellow said that bad lines are the most common problem he encounters on internet service calls.

Rolly Pirate

sparks

Dec 27, 2011, 6:51 AM

Post #3 of 23 (7246 views)

Shortcut

If it works for awhile ... I would change all cables. Physical connections

Rollys suggestion is physical as well

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

(This post was edited by sparks on Dec 27, 2011, 6:53 AM)

YucaLandia

Dec 27, 2011, 7:59 AM

Post #4 of 23 (7228 views)

Shortcut

In practical use, normal Magic Jack requires at least 75 kbps in upload speed/bandwidth. Normal Magic Jack uses your computer's ethernet card and processing software & hardware to work.

Your new Magic Jack Plus - connected 24/7 to just your router/modem - appears to need a better, more stable, or faster internet connection, since it is a stand-alone unit.

Magic Jack personnel can also be correct about using just one USB port to power it, since a USB port only delivers about 450 mA of power, maximum = 0.45 amps. Since Magic Jack has NO control over what kind of phone / hand-set / head-set you connect to it, your phone's handset may be drawing more power than a single USB port can supply => too much power drawn at times causes hiccups in the Magic Jack Plus operation.

This is very similar to people complaining that their USB powered portable disk drives are at fault for failing - when the reality is that the owner needs to use 2 USB ports to provide sufficient power to reliably operate either the portable drive or their Magic Jack / telephone combination.

So, your problem could be a Telmex issue: where it took 5 tech visits over 2 years to our home to finally get them to fix their problems with amplifiers and switches in their lines. or It may be a problem with the phone you are using. Does your phone have it's own power supply? How much power does your phone draw while you are talking and listening?

Have you operated the Magic Jack Plus without a computer connection - using the 120V power supply (not using USB power)?

We've brought one Magic Jack Plus down for a friend here in Mexico, because he wants 24/7 telephone service with a US phone number, without turning on his computer. He's been happy with his 1 MB Telmex service and 120V power supply - with no computer.

Thanks for giving us updates on the potential limits of Magic Jack Plus usage here in Mexico !
steve
-
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

RickS

Dec 27, 2011, 8:14 AM

Post #5 of 23 (7225 views)

Shortcut

I've used MagicJack (original) successfully in Ajijic with a Wifi connection usingTelmex DSL.

If you haven't already done so, go to the website below to test your connection's ability to use VoIP. There is more to VoIP than just speed. And I am sure that you are trying to use the MJ sans anything else going on at the same time with your connection.... like downloading something or streaming music, etc.

http://myspeed.visualware.com/indexvoip.php

SunFan

Dec 27, 2011, 8:15 AM

Post #6 of 23 (7224 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] &^%##^&(* MajicJack in Lakeside

Good ideas but

I had the TELMEX technician over last Friday. He had two observations. One An alarm system installed a couple of weeks ago before we arrived may be causing interference. The alarm company technician is arriving this morning to check. Two The TEXMEX copper in Upper Chula Vista is so overloaded that the DSL "light" service is the best I'll ever get no matter what package you pay for!

I have already replaced the router patch cables with my own CAT 6e and the telephone connector was switched as well.

The fact when it does work I have crystal clear reception makes me think it software rather than hardware.

SunFan

RickS

Dec 27, 2011, 8:29 AM

Post #7 of 23 (7218 views)

Shortcut

Alarm systems CAN interfere with DSL signaling. See:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7329 and

http://www.homephonewiring.com/splt-alarm.html

johanson / Moderator

Dec 27, 2011, 11:39 AM

Post #8 of 23 (7198 views)

Shortcut

Boy am I late to the game. I last checked this site about 8 AM went out to do errands etc, and come back and find that Technical Mexico is active as heck. And the answers are all very good.

What would I do? Check the signal quality as was suggested above and then try to figure out where the probably physical problem was as was suggested above. And work from there.

What about the new LNBs for Shaw, you mentioned? I hear that they are much more difficult to bore-site in than the older ones. Also the reason the LNBs are new is because Anik G-1 is scheduled to be launched and/or activated in about one year. Herein lies the possible problem with the new satellite which will be collocated at 107.3 along with Anik F 1R.

If you look at the footprint put out by the manufacturers of the satellite, the signal will only reach a few hundred miles or Km into the US. However if you listen to what the folks at Shaw say we will get reception down here. Someone has to be wrong.

However if we can not get the signals from the new satellite, all is not lost as this satellite is not replacing an old one but rather it is apparently being used for additional HD signals

stevebrtx

Dec 27, 2011, 12:12 PM

Post #9 of 23 (7190 views)

Shortcut

Well, all the smoke and mirrors and experts aside, my only suggestion is enter 192.168.1.254 if it's a standard Telmex router, the password is TELMEX and look down to:
Ancho de banda descendente/ascendente (kbps) which in my case says 2048/384 which is the 2mb program. If it's not reading that, call Telmex, they'll work you through it. When mine was first installed it wasn't up to this level and they fixed it easily - it's not a huge improvement, but then hope springs eternal and maybe one day they will notice us little folks.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

mazbook1

Dec 27, 2011, 1:25 PM

Post #10 of 23 (7184 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] &^%##^&(* MajicJack in Lakeside

That site asks for a username AND a password. What's the secret to getting signed on? And yes, my modem/router is pure Telmex.

(This post was edited by mazbook1 on Dec 27, 2011, 1:26 PM)

YucaLandia

Dec 27, 2011, 5:58 PM

Post #11 of 23 (7169 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] &^%##^&(* MajicJack in Lakeside

"What about the new LNBs for Shaw, you mentioned? I hear that they are much more difficult to bore-site in than the older ones. Also the reason the LNBs are new is because Anik G-1 is scheduled to be launched and/or activated in about one year. Herein lies the possible problem with the new satellite which will be collocated at 107.3 along with Anik F 1R.

If you look at the footprint put out by the manufacturers of the satellite, the signal will only reach a few hundred miles or Km into the US. However if you listen to what the folks at Shaw say we will get reception down here. Someone has to be wrong.

However if we can not get the signals from the new satellite, all is not lost as this satellite is not replacing an old one but rather it is apparently being used for additional HD signals
"

Ņ Huh ? Where does this part of the reply belong ?
-
-
Read-on MacDuff

chicois8

Dec 27, 2011, 6:50 PM

Post #12 of 23 (7158 views)

Shortcut

Sun Fan, I can see your problem, I am looking at my MagicJack and it works great, you must have bought yours at the Chapala Flea Market or some other nock off place, you spell yours MajicJack, the real ones spell it MagicJack....
hope I helped
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

SunFan

Dec 28, 2011, 5:03 AM

Post #13 of 23 (7143 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] &^%##^&(* MajicJack in Lakeside

Unfortunately I didn't buy it at a flea market. Like you I shelled out almost $200 USD. Thank Goodness I didn't sign up for 5 years coverage!

Where are you that you get service???

SuFan

YucaLandia

Dec 28, 2011, 5:51 AM

Post #14 of 23 (7140 views)

Shortcut

Humor? ~ ~ if not: It appears that the issue is with the new Magic Jack Plus model, that requires no computer and connects directly to your router/modem. His reports of erratic speeds/dropouts - just 40 kbps at times - and the potential for interference from an alarm system also point to causes that might drop calls on either model of Magic Jack.
-
Read-on MacDuff

johanson / Moderator

Dec 28, 2011, 6:07 AM

Post #15 of 23 (7138 views)

Shortcut

Sadly I see the humor is this, a friend asked his sister to pick up a new iPhone for him when she was in the states. Sadly she found a special on an imitation iphone called a hyPhone, and it was a pile of you know what.

When I used to help out at a local ISP the owner did mention that the Magic/Jacks seemed a little more sensitive to packet loss, jitter and ping than some other models. But I am not expert on Magic/Jack

stevebrtx

Dec 28, 2011, 6:13 AM

Post #16 of 23 (7136 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] &^%##^&(* MajicJack in Lakeside

That IP is your router, the User is Telmex and the password should be on the back of the router it will be the WEP Key and is a 10 digit number. That gets you inside the settings on the router, just don't change things once inside.

sparks

Dec 28, 2011, 7:46 AM

Post #17 of 23 (7125 views)

Shortcut

>>>> just don't change things once inside

Unless you want to turn on/off your wireless, increase wireless power ... or open ports for things like Torrents

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

chicois8

Dec 28, 2011, 8:11 AM

Post #18 of 23 (7116 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Unfortunately I didn't buy it at a flea market. Like you I shelled out almost $200 USD. Thank Goodness I didn't sign up for 5 years coverage!

Where are you that you get service???

SuFan

Hola sunfan, actually the cost was less than $50 USD and I am north of PV in Guayabitos using a Telcel Banda Ancha, if there is cell coverage I can connect.
San Mateo, California

chicois8

Dec 28, 2011, 8:15 AM

Post #19 of 23 (7111 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] &^%##^&(* MajicJack in Lakeside

In Reply To
Humor? ~ ~ if not: It appears that the issue is with the new Magic Jack Plus model, that requires no computer and connects directly to your router/modem. His reports of erratic speeds/dropouts - just 40 kbps at times - and the potential for interference from an alarm system also point to causes that might drop calls on either model of Magic Jack.

Dec.28th, day of innocence.........
San Mateo, California

stevebrtx

Dec 28, 2011, 9:51 AM

Post #20 of 23 (7102 views)

Shortcut

I may have inadvertently swerved into a solution before it became a problem. I had LagunaNet when I moved in here which is a WAN. But, the phone wires were a patchwork of bad and worse and every time it rained I got a hum, so I finally rewired the entire house. Later I switched to Telmex so by then the house wiring was in good condition.

The alarm system seems to apply if you are using the dialer and that would make sense.

SunFan

Dec 30, 2011, 4:42 AM

Post #21 of 23 (7067 views)

Shortcut

Miracle of miracles it appears my 7th ďlive agentĒ session with majicJack resulted in a solution. This is now the morning of the second day with service.
Still donít know what the specific problem was but it appears my software rather than hardware theory was correct.
The one thing the latest agent asked that none of the previous 6 did was does your dial pad on the laptop screen display "stock symbol call" or "enter number here to call"?
I indicated my screen read stock number call and the agent took a few seconds and asked me to try to use the phone again. Guess what it worked! S/he wouldn't tell me what if anything they'd done to my settings.
I have no idea what these settings on majicJack control. Any ideas???
Thanks everyone for all your ideas even wacky chicois8.

SunFan

RickS

Dec 30, 2011, 10:03 AM

Post #22 of 23 (7048 views)

Shortcut

"CALL" is the Stock symbol for the parent company of MagicJack.

Seeing that (stock symbol call) on the Magicjack probably 'told' the technician that some function did not load properly.... or some other key information for him. With that knowledge he knew, from previous analysis, what to do to get yours to work properly.

Techies are sometimes 'funny' folks... they don't like to divulge their 'secrets'. It's sort of a job security thing with some.

On another note, I have the older MagicJack....have used it for 4-5 years, always with good service. Before I left home I ordered the new Plus version so as to not have to have the laptop always turned on to have phone service. But alas, it came in the day after I left NOB so I don't have it for this trip SOB. After you have used yours for a while I would appreciate some feedback as to how you like it (now that the techie has fixed yours).

SunFan

Dec 30, 2011, 4:55 PM

Post #23 of 23 (7026 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] &^%##^&(* MajicJack in Lakeside

Hey 3 days and still working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now l still have an older majicjack tethered to a PC which I'll gladly give away

Sunfan

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4