Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

grammaz

Dec 25, 2011, 11:33 AM

Post #1 of 6 (1927 views)

Shortcut

Foreign Vehicle Licence Requirement

Can't Post | Private Reply
Just picked up the latest copy of the PV Mirror and there is an article stating that as of January 15th all foreign licensed vehicles (non Mexican plates) will require a CCVE sticker or there will be a fine of $1,500 and towing fee of $450 plus 5 times the CCVE fee. Stickers will be available as of December 28th at all Transito offices. The collected revenues are supposed to be for fixing and maintaining the roads etc.

This is the first we have all heard of this and to take effect next week is really a stretch for Mexico. It usually takes them months to get something like this in effect. We tried searching other sites and forums on line and the only place we've seen this is in the local Puerto Vallarta Mirror.

The cost of the sticker is based on the size of vehicle and number of passengers. The average pick up truck is about $375 pesos so not expensive but the fine and/or tow is substantial.

What makes us a little suspicious of this besides the fact that it is a huge undertaking is that the article is across from one on Day of the Innocents (equivalent to April Fools Day) which coincidentally falls on December 28th.

Does anyone know if this is for real?

stevebrtx

Dec 25, 2011, 12:29 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1918 views)

Shortcut

Re: [grammaz] Foreign Vehicle Licence Requirement

Well, first of all, I have no clue as to what a CCVE sticker is? If it's a pollution sticker of some sort, they have many ample opportunities in Guad (where I was today). And as you note, Dec 28th? - ha, right, there hasn't been a Gov office open for well over a week and we don't expect them until well after new years.

Here at the lake this is the season when illegal land fills happen because they know no one is going to stop them, so I'll just flash my TX sticker(s) at them and see what happens.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

chicois8

Dec 25, 2011, 2:20 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1898 views)

Shortcut

looks like a december fools day prank..........makes no sence
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

grammaz

Dec 25, 2011, 2:54 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1889 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Foreign Vehicle Licence Requirement

Hope you are right. Check out the article online in the PV Mirror for December 24th. It's on page 5.

chicois8

Dec 25, 2011, 6:52 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1856 views)

Shortcut

Day of the Innocents Dec 28th
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

grammaz

Dec 25, 2011, 7:43 PM

Post #6 of 6 (1844 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Foreign Vehicle Licence Requirement

Well, it looks like I've been the fool. A good friend tonight pointed out the notation at the beginning of the article that I totally missed. PVBS - we all now know what that stands for. We had a good laugh that I had been taken in and I'm sorry that bothered you all with my question. Day of the Innocent is right.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4