Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

prorader

Dec 16, 2011, 7:28 AM

Post #1 of 10 (7810 views)

Shortcut

Fustrated Butter Lover

Can't Post | Private Reply
I can't find a good salted Mantequilla any place, miss butter, my mistake for not saying my location. I am talking the Lake Chapala region, would love Chedraui but not here

(This post was edited by prorader on Dec 16, 2011, 8:42 AM)

La Isla

Dec 16, 2011, 8:08 AM

Post #2 of 10 (7799 views)

Shortcut

Re: [prorader] Fustrated Butter Lover

I don't like salted butter myself, but I have noticed it for sale at my local Superama in Mexico City. All of the brands available there come in both salted and unsalted varieties.

joaquinx

Dec 16, 2011, 8:16 AM

Post #3 of 10 (7799 views)

Shortcut

After trying a number of brands, I found that the Chedraui brand tastes the best of those tried. The imported ones taste like salted, yellow lard. Other domestic ones have no taste at all. Right now, keeping a low cholesterol count is the top issue with me.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

esperanza

Dec 16, 2011, 8:49 AM

Post #4 of 10 (7782 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I can't find a good salted Mantequilla any place, miss butter, my mistake for not saying my location. I am talking the Lake Chapala region, would love Chedraui but not here

We buy the Kirkland brand unsalted at Costco. A package of two one-pound boxes costs 84 pesos; we just bought some yesterday. Both my wife and I believe that it is actually Land O'Lakes brand, rebranded as Kirkland. It's just as good as that.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

bournemouth

Dec 16, 2011, 12:05 PM

Post #5 of 10 (7762 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Fustrated Butter Lover

I'm quite happy with Anchor from New Zealand and Lurpak from Denmark, both of which you can "usually" find in the Lake Chapala area. Walmart in this area also carries a spreadable butter "Mantequilla Untable" by Lyncott which, when you read the label carefully, you will see it is imported from Wisconsin. It comes in a white container with a red lid - I am talking salted in all cases.

tashby

Dec 16, 2011, 1:48 PM

Post #6 of 10 (7753 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Fustrated Butter Lover

"Mantequilla Untable" by Lyncott which, when you read the label carefully, you will see it is imported from Wisconsin.

I'm going to keep my eye out for that. Will have to try it. We like Anchor and Lurpak, but on esperanza's recommendation gave the unsalted Kirkland/Costco butter an audition. It's really good, and costs half of what Lurpak and Anchor do, I think.

Mmmmmm butter.

esperanza

Dec 16, 2011, 2:44 PM

Post #7 of 10 (7745 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Fustrated Butter Lover

We used to buy Lurpak, which is a truly wonderful butter. We started buying it at 17 pesos for about 200 grams (less than half a pound--a pound being just about 454 grams). The price is now 40 pesos or more for the same quantity of Lurpak butter.

For just a bit over 40 pesos, we can buy an entire pound of Kirkland, which is just as good if not better. Two pounds for 84 pesos...the butter is packaged 4-quarters to the pound. It freezes very well, too.

I prefer not to use the 'spreadable' butters and I prefer unsalted, but to each her own.

Judy in Ags

Dec 17, 2011, 7:59 AM

Post #8 of 10 (7703 views)

Shortcut

We buy Kirkland butter at Costco also, but they also sell only unsalted butter, which to me, doesn't taste like butter (or anything). I put it in the microwave just to soften it a little and then stir in a little salt. It works fine for us.

esperanza

Dec 17, 2011, 2:50 PM

Post #9 of 10 (7682 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] Fustrated Butter Lover

I just sprinkle a little salt on buttered toast or use a tiny bit extra salt in a recipe. No biggie.

sioux4noff

Dec 26, 2011, 8:38 PM

Post #10 of 10 (7550 views)

Shortcut

I'll have to give the Kirkland brand a try. We always buy Anchor, after many disappointing purchases of other brands.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4