Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

DavidMcL

Dec 15, 2011, 2:20 PM

Post #1 of 3 (1476 views)

Shortcut

Christmas customs

Can't Post | Private Reply
Having lived in Mexico for 15 years, I grew to love the particular celebrations that Mexico holds dear. A number of them i have adopted into my lifestyle, especially Dia de los Muertos.

Now that it is Christmas time, I am curious as to how you have changed your seasonal behaviours in accordance with Mexican ritual and culture.

For us, we look forward to the Posadas. We have begun to attend the Christmas eve Masses even though we are not religious. We celebrate Christmas on Christmas eve and enjoy Christmas day as a day of relaxation and friendship without the stress and strain of the usual NOB Christmas day.

How about you? What have you adopted or do differently than in your previous "before Mexico" life?

And may your Christmas season be joyful, healthful and loving.

David
David McL
WebJefe

surebought

Dec 15, 2011, 2:58 PM

Post #2 of 3 (1463 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] Christmas customs

What a nice post. Yes, I find Christmas to be a lot less stressful here in Mexico. And this is the second year that I don't have to scramble to come up with the Employee's Christmas bonus(the aguinaldo). That really took the fun out of it before, because there wasn't a whole lot of cash left over to do the whole Christmas thing. Now we just head south to Guadalajara. We are leaving Saturday. Christmas will be spent in the Religious City of Puebla with my oldest daughter. Its the only time of year when my whole family is together. Its the best time to travel in Mexico. No traffic, no tourists, no rain, no hot weather, no one in the Hotels. And the weather is almost always perfect. I find that the internet business just dies after Christmas and doesn't pick up again until President's day so its the best time to just shut down and enjoy life.

richmx2

Dec 15, 2011, 4:18 PM

Post #3 of 3 (1452 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] Christmas customs

Christmas only one day? How NoB!!! :-) I believe in celebrating Guadalupe-Reyes, and doing as little as possible between 12 December and 6 January ,,, or that's the plan anyway. Alas, with a gringolandia-emigre jefe, and doing most of our business with snowbirds, as little as possible can still mean quite a bit.

Of course, the best part of the season is that if Santa Clos forgets something, I can ask Los Tres Reyes to drop it by.

http://mexfiles.net
http://editorialmazatlan.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4