Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

dstan

Dec 11, 2011, 10:58 AM

Post #1 of 18 (7484 views)

Shortcut

Road from Mazatlan to San Pancho (north of PV)

Can't Post | Private Reply
Is there a preference for travel through Tepic or through San Blas? Wondering which route is best. Thanks for any reply.

RickS

Dec 11, 2011, 2:37 PM

Post #2 of 18 (7448 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dstan] Road from Mazatlan to San Pancho (north of PV)

"Best" with respect to what..... time, scenery, safety, ???

dstan

Dec 11, 2011, 5:27 PM

Post #3 of 18 (7425 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Road from Mazatlan to San Pancho (north of PV)

time.

RickS

Dec 11, 2011, 5:37 PM

Post #4 of 18 (7422 views)

Shortcut

Then by all means go through Tepic! Probably take you twice as long to go through San Blas even if you did not stop and look at anything.

johang

Dec 12, 2011, 4:00 AM

Post #5 of 18 (7388 views)

Shortcut

I have to respectfully disagree with RickS. The route through San Blas is both safer and more scenic. It may take a bit longer but probably only 15 to 20 minutes. The road from Tepic to Las Varas is full or hairpin turns which are avoided through San Blas. There are also some lovely coastal views.

The turnoff is 26 km before you get to Tepic.

Look for this sign:

And make a stop in our little corner of paradise, La Peņita de Jaltemba before carrying on. You will find it is a lot more Mexican than San Pancho which has a large proportion of northerners at this time of year.

Johan....If we all do a little we can do a lot. Visit our little corner of paradise at the Jaltemba Jalapeņo.

RickS

Dec 12, 2011, 6:37 AM

Post #6 of 18 (7369 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johang] Road from Mazatlan to San Pancho (north of PV)

I couldn't agree more that the San Blas route is more scenic. That's why I asked the OP what defined 'best' for him... he responded with 'time' so I recommended the faster Tepic route. I think maybe your 15-20 minute estimate may be a little conservative.

I also agree that the road down from Tepic to Las Varas is crooked at times but so is the road down to San Blas (but less so I'll admit). And the beautifully scenic road on the coast, especially around Santa Cruz and Platanitos, can be slow go also.

But, since you live in the area and I don't (but have driven both ways several times), I'll defer to your judgement.

(This post was edited by RickS on Dec 12, 2011, 9:23 AM)

dstan

Dec 12, 2011, 7:11 AM

Post #7 of 18 (7366 views)

Shortcut

Thanks very much..I am very familiar with La Penita...go there all the time to shop, on Thursday for the mercado and also, as you say, a taste of real Mexico.

I think I will follow your suggestion, but what do you think about the guy's recommendation to take to off ramp one before the one you show in diagram...toVilla Hidalgo?

johang

Dec 12, 2011, 7:37 AM

Post #8 of 18 (7358 views)

Shortcut

If I am not mistaken I think I have driven them both and both pretty good but the second one will save you a lot of time since you are on the freeway. There are a lot of small towns with topes in that area. For some reason I am not seeing the post to which you refer. Pleasant journey!

Johan....If we all do a little we can do a lot. Visit our little corner of paradise at the Jaltemba Jalapeņo.

RickS

Dec 12, 2011, 9:21 AM

Post #9 of 18 (7339 views)

Shortcut

" what do you think about the guy's recommendation to take the off ramp one before the one you show in diagram...toVilla Hidalgo?"

You must have gotten that recommendation somewhere else as it was not discussed here. That road may not connect with the 'new' 15D cuota which you will be driving on from Mazatlan. I know it does from the 15 libre but am not sure about from the cuota.

That road would have less curves/be flatter, as it is agricultural land, than the cutoff that johang showed, but it may also be a more secondary road. It does go through some little burgs and goes directly through Villa Hidalgo which will slow you down. I've not taken it before so can't say for sure whether it will be faster than johang's way which is somewhat curvy but probably a better road.

In any respect if time were truly an issue, I'd stay on the cuota to Tepic (fast), cut south to Compostela on Hiway 200 (yes, there are some curves as you descend) and then on westward to Las Vargas (yes, there are many curves and some traffic especially if one is traveling on Friday-Sunday).

Either way, enjoy your trip!

(This post was edited by RickS on Dec 12, 2011, 9:27 AM)

chicois8

Dec 12, 2011, 11:51 AM

Post #10 of 18 (7314 views)

Shortcut

From the expat forum:

I take the exit north of the 2 San Blas turnoffs, on the quota it is signed Yago/ Santiago..it goes not have mountainous driving, it is mostly flat farmland and a good (read no potholes)road unlike the mountain roads...follow signs via Villa Hidalgo, Guadalupe Victoria and San Blas...

I do not care about how fast I can drive from point A to point B in Mexico, there is a turn off the quota marked Yago, it is a safer driving road than the San Blas road which has many blind curves and many small villages with topes,most unmarked...
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

RivNayFun

Dec 12, 2011, 12:49 PM

Post #11 of 18 (7300 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Road from Mazatlan to San Pancho (north of PV)

I like to get off at the San Blas exit. It save the last big haul up the hill into Tepic, before you have to wind your way back down the other side from Compestela into Las Varas. In Mexico, highway does not always mean faster, but most often it does.

Just know that Tepic is at the top of a large hill that can be completely avoided. It is also the way of the big buses and semis.

Getting off earlier does eliminate the hills altogether, but as mentioned you wind through a couple towns that if you miss the exit and are big (spell that RV and toad) you will wish you had stayed on a more clearly marked route. Been there, done that, the year after the bridges all washed out.

But as all things Mexico, however you go, everything will be all right. Just take your time.

smokesilver

Dec 12, 2011, 5:20 PM

Post #12 of 18 (7267 views)

Shortcut

That site, Jaltemba Jalapeno, doesnt seem to be active or am I msg something?

bournemouth

Dec 12, 2011, 6:13 PM

Post #13 of 18 (7260 views)

Shortcut

Re: [smokesilver] Road from Mazatlan to San Pancho (north of PV)

It comes up for me with no problems.

chicois8

Dec 12, 2011, 6:37 PM

Post #14 of 18 (7256 views)

Shortcut

me2
San Mateo, California

johang

Dec 13, 2011, 4:53 AM

Post #15 of 18 (7224 views)

Shortcut

Now I see the message about the other road and I have to agree. Flatter and fewer villages which also means fewer topes. Lots of orchards of different kinds and other crops if I recall correctly.

Yes the site is definitely active please give it another try. It is always frustrating to hear someone report that they cannot access the Jalapeņo but that does happen from time to time with all sites.

dstan

Dec 13, 2011, 2:09 PM

Post #16 of 18 (7187 views)

Shortcut

Well, here's the follow-up folks. We followed the advise and got off at the Santiago/Yogo (?) exit, before the San Blas exit. The road was delightful and flat, but VERY slow. Hard to pass and lots of slow local traffic. We never got lost, (although we almost turned right ...west....instead of left at the first opportunity. it is sorta counter intuitive, but follow signs to Tepic initially till you start seeing San Blas ), and we had wonderful ceviche in Platanitos. It took us about 4.5 hours to La Penita from the highway in Mazatlan, not including lunch. It might be longer, but totally absent the stress of that curvey narrow downhill from Tepic to Las Varas. I would do it again.
Thanks for the tip.
Anyone know travel time via Tepic from Mazatlan to La Penita?
Thanks again

ps by the way..I think it is definately the way to go if towing a big trailer or driving a big rig.

RickS

Dec 13, 2011, 3:26 PM

Post #17 of 18 (7175 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for the follow-up......

chicois8

Dec 13, 2011, 9:23 PM

Post #18 of 18 (7148 views)

Shortcut

Glad all worked out well, I have traveled most costal roads in Nayarit and love that route, i am in a crossover so passing is very easy and I love Platanitos...
San Mateo, California

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4