Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Mexico City & Surroundings

esperanza

Dec 10, 2011, 6:33 PM

Post #1 of 12 (9763 views)

Shortcut

Earthquake!

Can't Post | Private Reply
Whoa, earthquake magnitude 6.5 or more hit the DF about half an hour ago. We had just gotten into a parked car, leaving a party in Col. Roma, when the car started shaking, jumping, etc. All electricity was knocked out in the neighborhood and people poured into the street. The quake lasted about 2-3 minutes. When the shaking stopped, our driver took us home, where the neighbors were standing in the street talking about it. The elevator in our building still has no power.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

tashby

Dec 10, 2011, 6:39 PM

Post #2 of 12 (9759 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Earthquake!

Yikes. I was *just* reading your (fabulous) blog entry. 6.5 is not nothing, that's for sure. Especially depending on type of earthquake and where it was centered, etc.

Stay safe! Hope all is okay with you and yours.

fordmexico

Dec 10, 2011, 7:09 PM

Post #3 of 12 (9751 views)

Shortcut

We felt it here in Tlanepantla de Baz, Edomex. It was just a very good jolt and shake or two that lasted less than 10 seconds. We didn't experience any loss of power. It took my wife about 20 minutes to get through on a landline. She was in El Centro and experienced some good shaking for 2-3 minutes. The Telcel cellular network is still experiencing connection difficulties due to so many people checking on family and friends.

We are built on a solid rock ridge so hopefully no damage.

Sismological Nacional is now reporting the quake to be 6.8

Anonimo

Dec 10, 2011, 7:19 PM

Post #4 of 12 (9745 views)

Shortcut

My wife felt it here in Morelia but I was out walking and noticed nothing.

Saludos,
Anonimo

La Isla

Dec 10, 2011, 7:22 PM

Post #5 of 12 (9745 views)

Shortcut

I certainly felt it in my neighborhood in colonia Cuauhtémoc near El Angel. My building was shaking more than I had ever felt it do so during an "event" of this type. I did my best to stay calm, turned off the stove, grabbed my keys and made my way down a winding staircase to the street. My favorite neighbor was there and talking to him I felt better. No damage in this neighborhood - the electricity is still on and I was able to receive a couple of "how are you?" calls from friends on my cell phone. I hope everyone who was affected by this 6.8 magnitude temblor is o.k. Uff, ¡qué susto!

chinagringo

Dec 10, 2011, 7:35 PM

Post #6 of 12 (9743 views)

Shortcut

Re: [fordmexico] Earthquake!

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/...00753u/us/index.html
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

La Isla

Dec 10, 2011, 7:47 PM

Post #7 of 12 (9737 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Earthquake!

In Reply To

Thanks for posting that link, Neil.

chinagringo

Dec 10, 2011, 7:52 PM

Post #8 of 12 (9735 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Earthquake!

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/...es-north-of-acapulco
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

fordmexico

Dec 10, 2011, 8:07 PM

Post #9 of 12 (9730 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Earthquake!

Thanks for the link. I was surprised to see the number of responses the USGS had received from Mexico. Mexico City had 337 reports. Tlanepantla where we live already had 7 responses by the time I reported. It was interesting to complete the survey. The Internet has surely changed how we share information and the speed in which it is shared!

happynz

Dec 13, 2011, 6:38 PM

Post #10 of 12 (9595 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Earthquake!

In Reply To
Yikes. I was *just* reading your (fabulous) blog entry. 6.5 is not nothing, that's for sure. Especially depending on type of earthquake and where it was centered, etc.
Stay safe! Hope all is okay with you and yours.

In my experience there is a lot more to it than the seismic reading. The 22 February quake here in Christchurch measured 'only' 6.3, but let me assure you that it was incredibly violent. The epicentre was five kilometres under the Port Hills (part of an allegedly extinct volcano). The location of the city, built on a swamp next to the hills, saw the sudden lift and fall of the hills create a rippling motion akin to throwing a stone in a pond. Because el DF is built on an ancient lake bed, wouldn't any tremors also feel magnified?
Así pues...aquí estamos...

tashby

Dec 13, 2011, 7:08 PM

Post #11 of 12 (9592 views)

Shortcut

Re: [happynz] Earthquake!

In my experience there is a lot more to it than the seismic reading.

My experience is the same. That's why I wrote, "Especially depending on type of earthquake and where it was centered, etc."

happynz

Dec 13, 2011, 8:38 PM

Post #12 of 12 (9576 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Earthquake!

In Reply To

In my experience there is a lot more to it than the seismic reading.

My experience is the same. That's why I wrote, "Especially depending on type of earthquake and where it was centered, etc."

De acuerdo.
Así pues...aquí estamos...

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4