Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

HarryinNM

Dec 7, 2011, 3:12 PM

Post #1 of 6 (5647 views)

Shortcut

Coffee Beans and Fresh Eggs in Colima

Can't Post | Private Reply
We're just back from a day of shopping in Colima and would appreciate any leads on where we might purchase whole roasted coffee beans (preferably of Mexican origin) and fresh eggs. The eggs we have purchased so far appear to have been in unrefrigerated storage for some time and don't fry up (or poach) as the fresh eggs we are accustomed to.

BTW, we were at the Public Market (Colima Mercado, I think) today and found neither item.

Thanks for any hints.

mazbook1

Dec 7, 2011, 4:01 PM

Post #2 of 6 (5643 views)

Shortcut

Re: [HarryinNM] Coffee Beans and Fresh Eggs in Colima

I had the same problem as you with eggs, but then I found a larger than usual neighborhood "abarrotes" that went through a case of fresh eggs every day or two. Believe me, I get great fresh eggs now. The only catch is that they are sold by weight only and since they are farmer direct, they are totally unsorted as to size. There will be smalls, mediums and large eggs all mixed together, and at some times of the year they are all small or medium with no large eggs at all.

As far as roasted coffee beans go, that's a bit more difficult. You will usually find in a place the size of Colima at least ONE locally-owned coffee shop that roasts their own beans and will sell roasted beans to the public. You just have to "sniff" them out. lol

HarryinNM

Dec 8, 2011, 3:31 PM

Post #3 of 6 (5605 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Coffee Beans and Fresh Eggs in Colima

Thanks so much. Don't give a hoot about size or uniformity-- just freshness. Could you tell us where that aborretes is located?

The idea of coffee shops had not occurred to me. We'll try to check that out next visit.

mazbook1

Dec 8, 2011, 6:36 PM

Post #4 of 6 (5588 views)

Shortcut

LOL I thought that it was obvious I don't live in Colima. I live in Mazatlán and I doubt those eggs would be all that fresh by the time you got them back to Colima! But if you drive around any colonia (maybe called barrio in Colima), you will find a corner shop about every two blocks in every direction that has a sign out "abarrotes", which just means groceries. Most are too small to do a whole lot of business, but the larger ones with a selection of fresh vegetables as well as the usual convenience store stuff will often do a booming neighborhood business in basic groceries such as eggs, bread, tortillas (mostly flour tortillas, since the corn tortillas come fresh from the tortillerías that are about 4 blocks or so apart), milk and canned goods, and the larger ones yet may even have a butcher shop. You just have to look around. Once you see those eggs stacked up loose in the 30 (I think) egg flats, the way they come from the producer, you will have found your fresh egg supplier. I'm surprised you didn't find such a thing in the central mercado in Colima.

(This post was edited by mazbook1 on Dec 9, 2011, 3:01 PM)

Vichil

Dec 9, 2011, 5:56 AM

Post #5 of 6 (5563 views)

Shortcut

Put the eggs in water before cooking them to see how fresh they are ,the freshest will stay at the bottom as the air has not entered yet.

HarryinNM

Dec 9, 2011, 6:01 AM

Post #6 of 6 (5559 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] Coffee Beans and Fresh Eggs in Colima

Thanks again. Guess I didn't read carefully enough. We'll do that.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4