Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

michoacan

Dec 8, 2011, 5:04 PM

Post #26 of 43 (4299 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Moisheh] Retired people leaving Mexico???

Can't Post | Private Reply
Mexico to me isn't the same place it was, even 10 years ago. Rules and regulations have toughened, petty crime has soared to stupid levels and after 47 years, I am bailing out. I can go to guatemala, import my car, and lead a much simpler life, one where I won't have to stop three times coming and going to town at puestos de controles. I can venture north for doses of mexico. I still love the people, but it (the petty bullcrap) just has overwhelmed me. There I got it off my chest.

Vichil

Dec 8, 2011, 5:36 PM

Post #27 of 43 (4281 views)

Shortcut

Re: [michoacan] Retired people leaving Mexico???

The Zetas are taking over Guatemala and it is also a dangerous country to live in, do not kid yourself about Guatemala either. Let´s face no place is like it used to be.

La Isla

Dec 8, 2011, 5:51 PM

Post #28 of 43 (4274 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Rules and regulations have toughened, petty crime has soared to stupid levels and after 47 years, I am bailing out.

I wonder what bothers you more: tougher rules and regs (which I, for one, welcome) and an increase in the petty crime rate? In any event, I wish you well in Guatemala, though it's not a country I would think of as being safer than Mexico.

panama john

Dec 9, 2011, 7:32 AM

Post #29 of 43 (4192 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Retired people leaving Mexico???

It's not safer. Way more dangerous. I have been to Guatemala many times over the years. No way would I take Guatepeor over Mexico. There are still plenty of reasonably safe and quite places to live in Mexico.

sandykayak

Dec 21, 2011, 2:22 PM

Post #30 of 43 (3907 views)

Shortcut

Re: [panama john] Retired people leaving Mexico???

lol.... that deserves an attempt at translating.

Guate - mala = bad Guate

Guate - peor = worse Guate

So, the saying could be, "Oh, so you're going from Guate-mala to Guate-peor?"

Hope you can "see" the humor.
Sandy Kramer
Miami, Fla & El Parque

chicois8

Dec 21, 2011, 7:08 PM

Post #31 of 43 (3843 views)

Shortcut

" I can venture north for doses of mexico. "

What border crossing is north into Mexico from Guatemala?

Through the Peten which is still under marshall law!
Ocanahua, Jalisco
San Mateo, California

esperanza

Dec 21, 2011, 8:34 PM

Post #32 of 43 (3822 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sandykayak] Retired people leaving Mexico???

In Reply To
lol.... that deserves an attempt at translating.

Guate - mala = bad Guate

Guate - peor = worse Guate

So, the saying could be, "Oh, so you're going from Guate-mala to Guate-peor?"

Hope you can "see" the humor.

Sandy, "Vamos de Guatemala a Guatepeor," is a very common saying here in Mexico!

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

cbviajero

Dec 22, 2011, 12:34 PM

Post #33 of 43 (3734 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Retired people leaving Mexico???

This is an expression used by Guatemalans and other Central Americans when they describe crossing the Guatemalan border into Mexico on their way to the US,it refers to the terrible treatment they receive at the hands of the mexican immigration,police and bandits.
Chris

panama john

Dec 22, 2011, 1:17 PM

Post #34 of 43 (3724 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Retired people leaving Mexico???

It's a very common saying in all of the Spanish speaking world. It means, more or less, jump from the frying pan into the fire.

michoacan

Dec 22, 2011, 2:25 PM

Post #35 of 43 (3700 views)

Shortcut

Mexico changed the rules about importing an automobile at least eight times in the last ten years. The last one occurred just after I had returned to the states and purchased a much-sought-after car at an affordable price (Even a two thousand dollar car is way beyond my means). If I need a bi-pap mask replacement in mexico I have to deposit money in the account of the distributor in DF, wait three weeks for the proveedor to get it then pay thirty three dollars to ship it 200 miles.It Guat City I get the same part for 30% less and at least I can drive there in 4 hours, about the same time as needed to get to Morelia.

Now Mexico requires a "permanent deposit" for a car driven by an FM-3 holder and I WILL GET TICKETED if I use a Mexican car in California longer than 14-days. Go argue with the CHP.

As with Mexico some parts of Guatemala are less safe than others. I am going to have to live with that and have been doing so for 47 years. Two years ago Eduardo and I had automatic weapons trained on us in Eduardo's mango orchard. while the LFM checked us out. That didn't bother me.

Every year the INM seems to raise the income requirements and soon they will exceed my income. Can I rest assured that soon I will not encounter major difficulties? No. But it's not comforting to hear at the INM office rumor about DF discussions concerning eliminating the proviso allowing foreigners to drive their car under FM-3 rules.

Mexico just out-regulationed me and I am throwing in the towel before it becomes an out-and-out crisis.

panama john

Dec 24, 2011, 10:31 AM

Post #36 of 43 (3588 views)

Shortcut

Maybe you have a point.

michoacan

Dec 25, 2011, 1:38 PM

Post #37 of 43 (3475 views)

Shortcut

Yeah, Panama John, I am not happy with being forced out. I have a pair of young adopted nieces that known me all their life as abuelito. It just breaks my heart to abandon them. Goddamned Mexico anyway ;-(

Rolly

Dec 25, 2011, 1:58 PM

Post #38 of 43 (3467 views)

Shortcut

But it's not comforting to hear at the INM office rumor about DF discussions concerning eliminating the proviso allowing foreigners to drive their car under FM-3 rules

The INM has absolutely nothing to do with car rules. That authority rests with Aduana.

Rolly Pirate

surebought

Jan 1, 2012, 9:49 AM

Post #39 of 43 (3262 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Moisheh] Retired people leaving Mexico???

You can't believe anything you read in a Mexican Newspaper. They frequently just make things up. My Store got robbed once and it was front page news, but the story they wrote about was a lot different than what really happened.

michoacan

Jan 6, 2012, 11:49 AM

Post #40 of 43 (3059 views)

Shortcut

Re: [surebought] Retired people leaving Mexico???

Sorry Rolly, about the confusion. But when the migracion jefe tells me that banjercito is considering a phase-out of the motor vehicle permission given to FM-3 bearers I've got to take it at face value. Ismael clearly said it was el chisme but should I just wad it up and toss it out the window? There have been so many changes with regard to immigration and car nationalization and import rules that my head spins.

mazbook1

Jan 6, 2012, 3:24 PM

Post #41 of 43 (3016 views)

Shortcut

michoacan, you should remember one rule that always applies. Never believe ANYTHING that one department of Mexican bureaucracy says about the rules of some different department of Mexican bureaucracy UNLESS you first check it with the exact department applying the rules.

In this case, a Migración employee reporting (3rd hand) what a Banjercito employee told him about the rules that are under the sole control of Aduana, a division of SAT (Hacienda). Neither Migración nor Banjercito have anything whatsoever to do with Aduana!

arbon

Jan 6, 2012, 4:34 PM

Post #42 of 43 (2986 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Retired people leaving Mexico???

Can't Post |

In Reply To
michoacan, you should remember one rule that always applies. Never believe ANYTHING that one department of Mexican bureaucracy says about the rules of some different department of Mexican bureaucracy UNLESS you first check it with the exact department applying the rules.

In this case, a Migración employee reporting (3rd hand) what a Banjercito employee told him about the rules that are under the sole control of Aduana, a division of SAT (Hacienda). Neither Migración nor Banjercito have anything whatsoever to do with Aduana!

¿Is not Banjercito the only bank that handles the money to temp' import motor vehicles?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mazbook1

Jan 6, 2012, 5:03 PM

Post #43 of 43 (2973 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] Retired people leaving Mexico???

You're absolutely correct, arbon, but ALL Banjercito does is collect the money, deposit it in the Aduana account and give you a receipt for it. They have absolutely no other contact with Aduana, nor do they do any sort of checking whether or not Aduana has followed any specific rules in issuing the temp. import sticker. They are just a bystander, as is Migración.

The Federal Congress passes the laws.
Hacienda (SAT) makes the rules.
Aduana follows (we hope) the rules set by Hacienda.
Banjercito only collects the money that is due according to what Aduana says.

So Banjercito could be said to be an "active" bystander, but Migración is a total bystander.

(This post was edited by mazbook1 on Jan 6, 2012, 5:09 PM)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4