Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

robt65

Dec 8, 2011, 5:49 AM

Post #1 of 4 (3845 views)

Shortcut

Chile Produces Some Excellent Superior Grade 3/4 Inch Plywood.

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am in the process of making all the new closets in our home from plywood. I was looking for a good stout plywood as close to a "Marine Grade" as I could find. I searched about 10 different stores and then came upon a store called “Tri Plex”. I do not know if these stores are only in Queretaro or not but all they sell is wood and wood products like doors, molding, etc. Most of the other stores had various manufactures plywood at the desired thickness I needed but the quality ranged from poor to good. the prices for a sheet was from 520 Pesos to over 700 per sheet of 4 X 8. In some cases no cuts were free and most of the others offered two cuts for free than varying amounts for more than two cuts. Tri Plex not only had a superior grade at $520 a sheet of 4 X 8 but the quality was indeed superior grade. I was also allowed as many cuts as I needed for my closet projects. I had all the measurements with me and brought home packages of really excellent plywood at a fair price and simply had to install my closets as per my plans.

Home Depot in Queretaro on the other hand had the poorest grades of any and all wood, and at ridicules prices, I have seen for sale in Mexico. Home Depot down here sucks in my estimation. Prices on most things are double in the City of Queretaro Home Depots than the local construction products shops and have poor quality at that!

Just thought I would pass along this find.

Robt65

AlanMexicali

Dec 8, 2011, 6:07 AM

Post #2 of 4 (3842 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Chile Produces Some Excellent Superior Grade 3/4 Inch Plywood.

In Reply To
I am in the process of making all the new closets in our home from plywood. I was looking for a good stout plywood as close to a "Marine Grade" as I could find. I searched about 10 different stores and then came upon a store called “Tri Plex”. I do not know if these stores are only in Queretaro or not but all they sell is wood and wood products like doors, molding, etc. Most of the other stores had various manufactures plywood at the desired thickness I needed but the quality ranged from poor to good. the prices for a sheet was from 520 Pesos to over 700 per sheet of 4 X 8. In some cases no cuts were free and most of the others offered two cuts for free than varying amounts for more than two cuts. Tri Plex not only had a superior grade at $520 a sheet of 4 X 8 but the quality was indeed superior grade. I was also allowed as many cuts as I needed for my closet projects. I had all the measurements with me and brought home packages of really excellent plywood at a fair price and simply had to install my closets as per my plans.

Home Depot in Queretaro on the other hand had the poorest grades of any and all wood, and at ridicules prices, I have seen for sale in Mexico. Home Depot down here sucks in my estimation. Prices on most things are double in the City of Queretaro Home Depots than the local construction products shops and have poor quality at that!

Just thought I would pass along this find.

Robt65 "

Robt65

We have just finished building a house in San Luis Potosi. I find the same thing with the Home Depot there as you have pointed out. Here is a quote from the power washer thread I posted:

Commercial cleaning companies are generally cheaper than Home Depot, but Costco , Walmart and Sam's Club have good prices. When going to Home Depot in Mexico, we just completed building a house, compared to San Diego my wife has to check out everything for hours and she is always amazed how high prices in Mexican Home Depots are. Once she was going to take a Badger 3 garbage disposal on the plane and decided not to. It was $99.00 + tax. When she went to buy it in San Luis Potosi at the Home Depot she paid $2,500 pesos for the same thing. The double the price there and savings in San Diego would have almost paid her cost of the one way airfare. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I find in general American products in Mexico usually sell for full retail price with zero discount no matter if they are made in Mexico or not. The full retail on the Badger 3 is $199.00 US and that is what my darling wife paid."

I have a house in Mexicali that I remodeled the summer of 2009 and added a 5 sq. mt. covered patio and new roof and driveway etc. and also found the Home Depot in Mexicali the same. My handyman took me to various other construction companies and I saved so much money compared to if I would have bought only at the Home depot. On plywood, cement and tile quickset and grout and corrugated steel panels alone compared to prices we checked first at the HD I saved about 4 or 5 hundred dollars not to mention paint, plumbing fixtures shower tiles etc. and supplies for inside the house. The one thing bad was I bought 350 6x6 clay tiles and 300 12x12 clay tiles from the by far the cheapest tile store and they ended up deteriorating a bit outside on the new patio where the runoff from the roof of the patio hit them. They were very poor quality. I should have been more careful. The original 30 year old clay tiles outside on all the sidewalks and smaller patio did not do this. I replaced only the cracked and broken 6x6 inside and out but did not have to replace them all.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Dec 8, 2011, 6:15 AM)

robt65

Dec 12, 2011, 11:44 AM

Post #3 of 4 (3781 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] Chile Produces Some Excellent Superior Grade 3/4 Inch Plywood.

Hi Alan,,

Next time you are looking for a project buy a gallon or so (depending upon the size of your clay tile roof) of a marine grade varnish, grab a ladder and varnish the clay tiles with two coats of that varnish. Make sure the first coat drys thouroughly and you will not only never worry about "discoloration" again, but your tiles will always repel water even at the concrete joints (if you use any concrete on that clay tile roof) use the varnish.

Like you, I have shopped before at Home Depot in Queretaro and I have even bought American Brands (made in Mexico) and the quality is usually terrible. Copper products, especially electrical wiring, water & gas copper tubing and various fittings (even at the high NOB prices) is much less expensive than here and the quality is usually better.

robt65

stevebrtx

Dec 12, 2011, 5:52 PM

Post #4 of 4 (3755 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Chile Produces Some Excellent Superior Grade 3/4 Inch Plywood.

Last year I was out E of Chapala at Vista del Lago and came across a sizable house being built totally out of wood? I was amazed, I thought wow, now there is a rich man. It's not the biggest out there, but I'd bet it's one of the most expensive and also looks oddly out of place, just like any other house from here would look alien in the Midwest.

Years ago I built some furniture out of plywood from Ecuador, it was essentially solid core cabinet grade - but then that was in TX, definitely not here.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4