Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

sioux4noff

Dec 7, 2011, 9:44 PM

Post #1 of 4 (2415 views)

Shortcut

Pre-Christmas trip to Guadalajara

Can't Post | Private Reply
We are venturing off to Guadalajara again, this time the week before Christmas.
Again I'm seeking ideas of fun and interesting things to do in Guadalajara and nearby. We are driving there from Bucerias, Nayarit where we live.
Especially of interest would be an activity or 2 to do with our friends who have kids age 4 and 11. They are Mexican and live in Zapopan, and we'd like to take them somewhere fun that they might not ordinarily get to. Last trip, we took them to the zoo which was great fun for all.
Ideas for markets, shopping, restaurants and holiday activities would be welcomed. We already have Waldo's on our list, and the Christmas market (but which one is best?)
Thanks!

esperanza

Dec 8, 2011, 4:55 AM

Post #2 of 4 (2397 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Pre-Christmas trip to Guadalajara

The tianguis navideño (Christmas market) on Av. Alcalde, just a few blocks north of the Cathedral, is by far the best one in the city. More than 100 dealers dedicate the weeks from late November through January 6 to the sale of Christmas items. Although many of the decorations come from China, most are artisan-made products from Mexico. A trip to the market would be ideal for your friends and their children, both fun and an opportunity to learn more about their country's Christmas customs.

Waldo's is an odd choice of outings, since it is simply what we might call a 99-cent store, is small, and has numerous branches all over Guadalajara. A better choice (or an additional choice) might be to take them to Galería El Triunfo, Av. Rubén Darío #761 in centrally located Lomas de Guevera. Google maps will tell you how to get there. It is three stories of eye-popping EVERYTHING, especially at Christmastime. http://www.eltriunfo.com.mx/sitio-galerias-triunfo/

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Dec 8, 2011, 4:56 AM)

sioux4noff

Dec 8, 2011, 5:32 AM

Post #3 of 4 (2390 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Pre-Christmas trip to Guadalajara

Esperanza, I still refer back to advice you gave us a couple years ago for our trip. You were so helpful! Do you (or does anyone else) happen to know if the El Trocadero market is still on Av. Mexico? That street has been worked on in the past couple years, so I am not sure that market will still be there.
We (and they) love to shop at Waldos. It is hands-down far better than any "dollar store" we have here in Puerto Vallarta. We always buy quite a few things there, and I usually pick up stuff for them as well. I think my husband knows where every Waldos store is, and he says they are all different. He is right, what you see at one you won't find at another sometimes.
We do have a Galeria El Triumfo in Puerto Vallarta, it just opened a month or so ago. It is very much like the one in Guadalajara. I think we'll skip it with the active 4 year old.
Thanks again fo the advice, we will go to the christmas market for sure. Is that the location that had a fire last year?

esperanza

Dec 8, 2011, 5:42 AM

Post #4 of 4 (2388 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Pre-Christmas trip to Guadalajara

The trocadero market is still operating on Av. México.

The Christmas market on Av. Alcalde is indeed the one that had the terrible fire last year. There is another Christmas market at Parque Morelos, but I think you will like the one on Alcalde better.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4