Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

El Gato

Dec 7, 2011, 12:22 PM

Post #1 of 4 (1657 views)

Shortcut

FM2 & Social Security

Can't Post | Private Reply
Helped a friend renew her FM2 today. We took all the same paperwork that was needed for my DH's renewal at the end of November. When she showed her paperwork showing her Social Security payment amounts, Allan asked that it be translated into Spanish (DH didn't need his translated). He said we could use Google, which we did. We were back in an hour, paperwork finished up, and she was told she could pick up her new card tomorrow morning at 8am.

When we first walked in everyone wanted to know where my DH was - they had remembered us which was heart lifting.

Allan and I also discussed the new changes that would be in place after the first of the year, and he was pretty sure that I was correct, in that the new point system would allow us to apply for Imagrado status, since we were retired, living in Mexico full time, and were receiving an annuity payment (Social Security) from a foreign government (USA). Thus, we wouldn't have to wait out the normal years in order to apply.

Rolly, or anyone, if this is the case, any idea of when we should start paperwork? My FM2 comes up for renewal in October and DH's beginnning of December.

No idea of cost(s). Or what paperwork, other then what we normally submit, will be required. Allan did comment that the government was trying to make it as easy and simple as possible.
"The World After WW1 - 1918 - 1921" at amazon.com, Barnes & Nobel - letters written at the end of WWI

Rolly

Dec 7, 2011, 12:46 PM

Post #2 of 4 (1646 views)

Shortcut

Re: [El Gato] FM2 & Social Security

The new rules have not been published, so nobody knows a thing.
In the meantime, the current rules remain.

Rolly Pirate

El Gato

Dec 7, 2011, 12:55 PM

Post #3 of 4 (1637 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] FM2 & Social Security

Rolly, you are right - Allan, who is the manager of the local INM office and I were just speculating on what the new laws, and the point system, would mean - and that was our guess. My guess was just based on what has been written so far about the point system. I'm not sure what his were based on, although he seemed to be trying to get a handle on what it would mean to our local office.

And, as always, your site was so wonderfully helpful - even though I had gone through the procedure in October and November I still used it as a refresher, which is why the whole procedure went so easily.

Thank you for all of your help, to me, and to everyone.
"The World After WW1 - 1918 - 1921" at amazon.com, Barnes & Nobel - letters written at the end of WWI

sioux4noff

Dec 7, 2011, 6:07 PM

Post #4 of 4 (1588 views)

Shortcut

Re: [El Gato] FM2 & Social Security

Until the new regs come out, speculating on what will be is nothing but an idle passtime.
When the regs come out, then we will all see what we will be able to do.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4