Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

HarryinNM

Dec 4, 2011, 1:46 PM

Post #1 of 7 (4809 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm trying to make a call using Skype to a Mexico land line. I am in Cuyutlan and trying to call a Colima number.

The call won't go through. Is there some code that I need to use in addition to the number?

Thanks

chinagringo

Dec 4, 2011, 1:50 PM

Post #2 of 7 (4806 views)

Shortcut

Re: [HarryinNM] SKYPE

I believe that you have to treat it like you were calling from the US and use country code and area code?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

HarryinNM

Dec 4, 2011, 3:37 PM

Post #3 of 7 (4796 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] SKYPE

Tried that, Neil and it's no go.

Dialed 01152331 plus the 5 digits and it tries and quits without ringing the #. Unless there is something wrong with the number I'm trying to reach...?

Skype showed the MX flag as soon as I started--- so, it may be you'd need a VPN to fool it. Why? I cannot fathom.

But, thanks for the try, Neil.

bournemouth

Dec 4, 2011, 3:49 PM

Post #4 of 7 (4792 views)

Shortcut

I think you need the area code for Cuyutlan which is 313, plus the 7 digit phone number.

chinagringo

Dec 4, 2011, 4:31 PM

Post #5 of 7 (4776 views)

Shortcut

Now I remember how I did it when SOB. I went to the top bar and clicked on call. On the drop down menu, you choose call a phone. Then you choose the Mexican flag option. You then enter the area code and phone number - no 011 and no 52. I have used that system to call both landlines and cells from within Mexico.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

joaquinx

Dec 4, 2011, 4:45 PM

Post #6 of 7 (4774 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] SKYPE

. . .call both landlines and cells from within Mexico

The only change is when calling a cell phone in Mexico. You have to put a "1" before the area code and number. Such as 1AAAXXXNNNN.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

chinagringo

Dec 4, 2011, 6:28 PM

Post #7 of 7 (4769 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] SKYPE

Granted it was back in August but I don't think I had to put a "1" in front of the number on Skype since I called a number of numbers that I didn't know at the time were cell numbers. Could certainly be wrong and I just checked a couple of Mexican cell numbers I have in my contact list and they don't show the "1".
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4