Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Aaron+

Dec 1, 2011, 3:32 PM

Post #1 of 8 (5215 views)

Shortcut

Donating/Surrendering a car to the Government of Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
Would appreciate information on how to donate / surrender an auto brought into Mexico with a temporary import permit.

Do I start with the Aduana in the nearest POE (Progreso for me)? Or with the Federal police, or the (Yucatan) state police?

My Mexican insurance co., HDI, has no info, or at least none that I have been able to access so far.

Toyota Mérida says the main battery in my Prius 2001 has failed (though I am not sure they know how to diagnose problems, and they are unhappy to deal with any Prius prior to the 2011 model year they started selling).

I figure that the cost to ship it back to Florida by boat, repair it there, fly myself there to take care of things, then sell the car, all that would be equal to or much greater than its probable $4000 resale value.

My car, with only 104,000 miles, and with a 2004 era traction battery in March 2004 replacing the original main battery, is mobile for about 15-20 min at about 40km top before the motor and hence car starts bucking.

About 1988, while an employee at the US Embassy Mexico City, I had to surrender a Dodge with a Mitsubishi motor that multiple mechanics were unable to repair or replace (replace with a rebuilt motor I imported from Laredo). Either the Embasy or the insurance company arranged with some GOM agency for me to surrender it to some official near Cuernavaca. I have no memory of which agency it was. And have had no response from the Embassy to my recent query as to how to surrender the Prius. Yes, I know I also have to deal with Aduana to void the permit.

Rolly

Dec 1, 2011, 6:37 PM

Post #2 of 8 (5175 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Donating/Surrendering a car to the Government of Mexico

Aduana is the agency to take care of your car.

Rolly Pirate

surebought

Dec 4, 2011, 8:16 AM

Post #3 of 8 (5016 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Donating/Surrendering a car to the Government of Mexico

What a problem. I would be much more impressed with you if you hadn't just given up so easily. This is a good lesson in problem solving. You're are an American for god's sake. We all potentially face this problem when we head south in a car that this is not widely sold in Mexico. Where are you at in Mexico? Maybe I will come and get it.

YucaLandia

Dec 4, 2011, 8:30 AM

Post #4 of 8 (5009 views)

Shortcut

Re: [surebought] Donating/Surrendering a car to the Government of Mexico

Why assume that Aaron has given up easily?

Based on his comments, he likely spent months researching his options, as indicated by his detailed knowledge of vehicle shipping costs, new or OEM vs after-market battery costs, locations of actual suppliers, and personal travel costs and travel times to those suppliers vs. stiff shipping costs and import fees for very heavy batteries. When detailed research shows that it costs more to resurrect a dead vehicle than the vehicle is worth, why not respect his analyses and decisions?

Since he wants to follow the law, and honor his Temporary Import permit "contract" to either take the vehicle out of Mexico or legally surrender it to the correct government authority, then even well-meaning expats cannot just buy the car from him - so, why criticize his choice and why propose an illegal solution?

It seems like this guy has done his homework, and he is now asking for a little advice & expertise on how to close the final loop. Are Mexconnect's forums meant to be places to ask questions and get answers, or should post-ers on Mexconnect develop thick skins, grit their teeth and post anyway. expecting equal measures of help and anonymous personal criticism?
-
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Dec 4, 2011, 8:41 AM)

surebought

Dec 5, 2011, 9:06 AM

Post #5 of 8 (4920 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Donating/Surrendering a car to the Government of Mexico

Now it is going to etch in everybody's brain that they are going to lose their car if they can't get it back to the US before the permit expires. I am sure that there is a procedure for this kind of thing without violating the sanctity of Mexican Law. He hasn't done any research. He has just translated a few bylaws and wants to play victim. There are always ways of circumventing a ridiculous situation in Mexico without problems. Mexico is very bureaucratic but the bureaucracy doesn't like to do paperwork. If he could only speak a little Spanish, he could go to the local Delegation and talk to the Secretaries. They don't want to do the paper work if he submits his car, so use this to your advantage, and they'll tell you how to do it with no bribes, just friendship because it is less work for them. I am sure this has come up before and nobody had to give their car away. What do you think people do when their car gets stolen or destroyed on a temporary permit? I know this is a forum and I do express tough love sometimes with the participants, but really I have seen so many people come down here and do really unnecessary damage to themselves by the Gringo interpretation of a system which is changing all the time for the better. Some have even been swindled out of their life savings and have to live out their lives on Social Security. If this forum is to serve its participants, then it should encourage people to seek out solutions to their problems without conflict and always playing that "I am a victim card." The locals are taught to treat this as a weakness to be exploited. In less developed societies people are taught to sense weakness and take advantage of it and they are really good at it here. You don't want to play victim with the locals. This is not the intent of the law and exceptions are probably made on a case by case basis by the local delegation. In the US these days they are trying to get people away from linear thinking in the schools. Some people think it is our biggest weakness as a nation. You hear, "thinking outside the Box," a lot up there these days. Down here, nobody ever thought inside the box. Its not drilled into them from birth to think about strict interpretation of anything.

YucaLandia

Dec 5, 2011, 2:36 PM

Post #6 of 8 (4878 views)

Shortcut

Re: [surebought] Donating/Surrendering a car to the Government of Mexico

In Reply To
Now it is going to etch in everybody's brain that they are going to lose their car if they can't get it back to the US before the permit expires. I am sure that there is a procedure for this kind of thing without violating the sanctity of Mexican Law.
He hasn't done any research. He has just translated a few bylaws and wants to play victim.
There are always ways of circumventing a ridiculous situation in Mexico without problems. Mexico is very bureaucratic but the bureaucracy doesn't like to do paperwork. If he could only speak a little Spanish, he could go to the local Delegation and talk to the Secretaries. They don't want to do the paper work if he submits his car, so use this to your advantage, and they'll tell you how to do it with no bribes, just friendship because it is less work for them. I am sure this has come up before and nobody had to give their car away. What do you think people do when their car gets stolen or destroyed on a temporary permit? I know this is a forum and I do express tough love sometimes with the participants, but really I have seen so many people come down here and do really unnecessary damage to themselves by the Gringo interpretation of a system which is changing all the time for the better. Some have even been swindled out of their life savings and have to live out their lives on Social Security. If this forum is to serve its participants, then it should encourage people to seek out solutions to their problems without conflict and always playing that "I am a victim card." The locals are taught to treat this as a weakness to be exploited. In less developed societies people are taught to sense weakness and take advantage of it and they are really good at it here. You don't want to play victim with the locals. This is not the intent of the law and exceptions are probably made on a case by case basis by the local delegation. In the US these days they are trying to get people away from linear thinking in the schools. Some people think it is our biggest weakness as a nation. You hear, "thinking outside the Box," a lot up there these days. Down here, nobody ever thought inside the box. Its not drilled into them from birth to think about strict interpretation of anything.

Just for fun, I have talked with Aaron.
It turns out that he has done lots of research.
It turns out he speaks excellent Spanish, and has lived and worked in Mexico on and off for at least 25 years.
It turns out that he has been married to a lovely Mexicana for many years, and that they almost exclusively speak Spanish at home, because her mother speaks only Spanish.
It turns out that he is willingly looking for a legal way to deal with this car - and he is no victim, because he is doing what he wants to do.

The internet sure can be a very strange place, where people often misunderstand things. Maybe it is because we only see the words on the screen - oversimplifying? - imagining what must be? - never seeing beyond the screen, to comprehend all the rich details and context that lie behind the flat text.

Best of luck Aaron,
steve
-
-
Read-on MacDuff

sioux4noff

Dec 7, 2011, 6:17 PM

Post #7 of 8 (4794 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Donating/Surrendering a car to the Government of Mexico

Excellent response, YucaLandia.
I am curious why when someone has a problem, another poster oftens assumes that the person with the problem doesn't speak Spanish.

YucaLandia

Feb 12, 2013, 3:00 PM

Post #8 of 8 (3813 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Donating/Surrendering a car to the Government of Mexico

We have done a bit more digging on this issue, and came up with three references, 2 from Aduana and 1 from SAT.
See: I Can’t Take My Car to the Border and I Want to Donate It to Aduana

Consider the following text from La Ley Aduanera, 2012, Article 61, Section XVII that seems to apply:

"ARTICULO 61. No se pagarán los impuestos al comercio exterior por la entrada al territorio nacional o
la salida del mismo de las siguientes mercancías:
XVII. Las donadas al Fisco Federal con el propósito de que sean destinadas al Distrito Federal,
estados, municipios, o personas morales con fines no lucrativos autorizadas para recibir
donativos deducibles en los términos de la Ley del Impuesto sobre la Renta, que en su
caso expresamente señale el donante, para la atención de requerimientos básicos de
subsistencia en materia de alimentación, vestido, vivienda, educación, y protección civil o
de salud de las personas, sectores o regiones de escasos recursos.
En los casos en que las mercancías sean donadas al Fisco Federal, no se requerirá de la
utilización de los servicios de agente o apoderado aduanal, debiendo utilizarse
únicamente la forma que para esos efectos dé a conocer el Servicio de Administración
Tributaria.

Si la importación de las mercancías de que se trate, requiere del cumplimiento de
regulaciones o restricciones no arancelarias, o de normas oficiales mexicanas, las
autoridades aduaneras de inmediato lo harán del conocimiento de la dependencia
competente, quien contará con un plazo de tres días para determinar si las exime de su
cumplimiento. Transcurrido dicho plazo sin que se comunique la resolución
correspondiente, se entenderá que dicha dependencia resolvió positivamente y las
autoridades aduaneras pondrán las mercancías a disposición del interesado, en la aduana
correspondiente.
"

Hope this helps,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4