Can't Post | Private Reply
Read all about it here: www.lakesidecrime.com

CanuckBob

Dec 9, 2011, 4:31 PM

Post #27 of 45 (3859 views)

Shortcut

Re: [don pedro] Chapala City Hall demonstration

I'm sure the cholos are breathing a sigh of relief that your club turned down the request to don hi-vis vests and patrol the streets.........

Bob
Inside Lakeside
http://www.insidelakeside.com

CanuckBob

Dec 10, 2011, 7:39 AM

Post #28 of 45 (3798 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Chapala Payaso] Chapala City Hall demonstration

I'm not sure what is in the area for the youths however NOB they have what is called Boys & Girls Clubs. Basically an activity center for youths to hang out at and play games, talk with counsellors, explore career opportunities and participate in day trips etc. They are manned by volunteer youth counsellors and local police. I used to hang out at one of these when I was a young teenager.

Bob
Inside Lakeside

Chapala Payaso

Dec 10, 2011, 9:34 AM

Post #29 of 45 (3781 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CanuckBob] Chapala City Hall demonstration

Bob: What is your point? Maybe it is that if given an opportunity for a wholesome environment kids would shun the gangs such as the Cholos. That would only be the case if the clubs could fulfill the needs of a sense of belonging that is provided by the gangs. The clubs have a different set of expectations than do the gangs.

On a tangent, there are a number of children's homes in this area. I wonder if anyone has done a study on the long term benefits, or lack thereof, for the kids so housed. For instance, what are these kids doing at age 18 compared to the kids coming from the same dire circumstances that had to fend for themselves. Is there less criminality, for instance? The home near me just dumps the kids at age 18 with no significant life skills. Are they better off? Is the comunity at large better off protecting children and young adolescents from their environment until they are 18 and unable to cope with it? There is a sanctuary, if you will, in GDL that lets the kids come and go and gives them a place to sleep at night. No expectations related to what they do in the day time. Juggling lemons and begging may get you a bit of cash until you are in need of a bath and deodorant and have a face full of zits.

But I dirgress. Druggies need money to support their habit as do non-druggies wanting to eat and they have no skills to offer in exchange for money. Washing cars won't get it. They turn to crime. Too bad they don't all get drafted into the military at age 18 automatically.

CanuckBob

Dec 10, 2011, 9:55 AM

Post #30 of 45 (3769 views)

Shortcut

You answered my point yourself..........Jaja.

Bob
Inside Lakeside

Chapala Payaso

Dec 10, 2011, 10:28 AM

Post #31 of 45 (3758 views)

Shortcut

Agan, I ask. What is your point?

CanuckBob

Dec 10, 2011, 10:33 AM

Post #32 of 45 (3756 views)

Shortcut

Maybe it is that if given an opportunity for a wholesome environment and offered some alternatives kids would shun the gangs, drugs and criminal lifestyle. Of course parenting plays a huge role in this.

Bob
Inside Lakeside

don pedro

Dec 10, 2011, 11:46 AM

Post #33 of 45 (3741 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Maybe it is that if given an opportunity for a wholesome environment and offered some alternatives kids would shun the gangs, drugs and criminal lifestyle. Of course parenting plays a huge role in this.

with the amazing amount of insight you seem possessed with boob, you should hurry forth your schedule for moving here and pass it on.
if you are no longer moving here, i am sure your treatises translated to espanol would be very helpful and ever so welcome.
http://chapalamexicoinfo.createforumhosting.com
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!

Chapala Payaso

Dec 10, 2011, 12:03 PM

Post #34 of 45 (3736 views)

Shortcut

If there were adequate parenting the problem would be a whole lot less. There is a trite but true saying that you can take the kid out of the street but you cannot take the street out of the kid. Lots of kids taken out of the street and placed in an institutional environment run away because they miss the exciement of the street life.

CanuckBob

Dec 10, 2011, 2:56 PM

Post #35 of 45 (3710 views)

Shortcut

Re: [don pedro] Chapala City Hall demonstration

You can buy me a cerveza and bedazzle me with your fabulous "people" skills soon enough peedro..........Jajaja

Bob
Inside Lakeside

(This post was edited by CanuckBob on Dec 10, 2011, 3:10 PM)

Jimbo

Dec 11, 2011, 3:16 PM

Post #36 of 45 (3635 views)

Shortcut

Re: Violence in Chapala - Deja vu

Deja vu. My wife and I lived in the Lakeside area for two years, prior to moving to Mazatlan 10 1/2 years ago. There had been an outbreak of robberies that year and the year before, with at least one murder (turned out it was one expat killing another). There were a couple of well attended meetings then as well and many of the same suggestions now being made were made then. As far as I can recall, it wasn't any of the measures recommended at the meetings that led to violence subsiding. It was time.
As someone posted earlier, "it's where the money is" (or words that were similar). The expats in the Lakeside stick out like the proverbial sore thumbs. There, unlike larger cities like Mazatlan, they are a conspicuous majority, especially in Ajiic and some of the surrounding communities. They have transformed the area, both for the better and the worst. They support businesses that would not exist in a Mexican-only community with a similar population (restaurants, Walmart, SuperLake etc.). They create jobs that would not otherwise exist for Mexicans, as waiters, maids, gardeners, realtors etc. That's the good news. That bad news is that they have driven up real estate prices and rents and even food prices to levels most Mexicans can't afford. Many display wealth beyond the reach of those same Mexicans. So the disparities exist now and have for many years. Given that it's quite remarkable how little property crime-related violence there has been. This is especially the case given how oblivious many expats are to those disparities. Most can't and don't talk to their maids and gardeners about their lives and so are not able to create friendships that might lower the wall between them. That would help. But it would also help, as one of the other posters suggested. if they didn't display their affluence quite as excessively as they do. Wearing expensive jewelry is probably not a good idea, for example. Good security is important. Upper middle class Mexicans have iron bars on their windows and doors and expats should have the same kind of security. Don't carry a lot of cash on your person. Keep the credit cards at home, under lock and key. If approached by someone who looks like he may have a gun, hand him your wallet - probably with a smile.
This too will pass, as the outbreak of property crime related violence did 10-11 years ago. The Mexicans, by and large, are very tolerant hosts. You have transformed the lovely area you live in, turning it into a Mexican version of a town you might find in California. They have shared that area with you in peace for all of these years and they will continue to in the future. But do them the courtesy of learning some of their language, their customs and the history of their country. They deserve that and you do too.

Chapala Payaso

Dec 11, 2011, 6:08 PM

Post #37 of 45 (3612 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jimbo] Violence in Chapala - Deja vu

Jimbo,

I wish that your obervation of, "This too will pass, as the outbreak of property crime related violence did 10-11 years ago." was likely to be true. I am not so sure that it will but it could be made so. The drugs are so lucrative that their influence is a huge magnet. What will change that? As far as I can see, the governments involved are not willing to do what is necessary to halt this scourge. Until they are willing to take the harsh steps necessary the profits will justify the risks. I have my own opinions as to what must be done but not being a soothsayer I hold out no promised of success. My friends say my methods are way too harsh. They too seem unwilling to pay the price necessary to end the problem. Manufacture, delivery, retail sale, and use must all be eradicated. The Chinese, when faced with this problem. killed those involved. They started by killing the lawyers. It worked. But this problem is so huge that more must be done.

(This post was edited by Chapala Payaso on Dec 11, 2011, 6:09 PM)

Chapala Payaso

Jan 2, 2012, 5:52 PM

Post #38 of 45 (3310 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Chapala Payaso] Violence in Chapala - Deja vu

I hear that the day after the meeting was had and further meetings were set, that the mayor resigned. Now the new mayor is age 26 years of age and not the sharpest knofe in the drawer. Anyone able to confirm or deny this information?

chinagringo

Jan 2, 2012, 5:58 PM

Post #39 of 45 (3309 views)

Shortcut

According to the following article from the GUADALAJARA REPORTER, he is 25 years old:

http://www.guadalajarareporter.com/...chapala-informe.html

As far as the "sharpest knife in the drawer comment" that is a subjective opinion and probably cannot be determined in the first week or so that he is on the job!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Chapala Payaso

Jan 3, 2012, 7:27 AM

Post #40 of 45 (3259 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Violence in Chapala - Deja vu

Thank you for the information as to his age. I was told sometime back by a Mexican business man that when hiring a Mexican after he completes school, he is not worth his salt for 5 years. A mayor at age 25? I have severe reservations as to his abilities and doubt that his life experiences are sufficient. But I could be wrong. Perhaps he was a community organizer.

Vichil

Jan 3, 2012, 8:44 AM

Post #41 of 45 (3247 views)

Shortcut

Who would make that kind of remarks about our new mayor on a public forum but a payaso all right.
Remember Alexander the Great had conquered the world by the time he was 30 years old. Not all young people are stupid.

fug

Jan 3, 2012, 9:20 AM

Post #42 of 45 (3241 views)

Shortcut

I believe that he was the attorney for the municipality of Chapala before being elected by council memebers to act as interim mayor. I think his knife is extremely sharp. He has received excellent reviews for the short time he has been in office.

Chapala Payaso

Jan 3, 2012, 3:11 PM

Post #43 of 45 (3197 views)

Shortcut

Re: [fug] Violence in Chapala - Deja vu

I never said he was stupid, just inexperienced and lacking life experiences. If I remember correctly, when a previous mayor quit, he was also replaced by a young attorney. Attorneys who are hired by the municipality instead of a law firm tend to be found lacking somewhere. I speak in generalities here, not to the specific person who I do not know.

I was just thinking that the previous mayor who left the day after the demonstration has left any promises to the new acting mayor to deal with. Here is a situation where experience and diplomacy are helpful tools. Time will tell. As for me, well I am no longer a member of the chapala municipality and so have no dog in the hunt. However, I will be watching for an update on how the meeting went and what progress has been made in local crime scene abeyance.

(This post was edited by Chapala Payaso on Jan 3, 2012, 3:13 PM)

Vichil

Jan 3, 2012, 4:02 PM

Post #44 of 45 (3184 views)

Shortcut

You said your heard he was not the sharpest knife in the drwer which I understood you saying he was not too bright just repeating gossips..
No matter who the mayor is there is not a whole lot of things he can do about the crime. This man will have to be following up on the previous mayor promises and only future will tell what can be done.
I do not hope a gret deal from an administration who is on their last year. It will be up to the foreigners to follow up and so far we have not heard anything more about anything so good luck to us. We are on our own.
Right now we have 3 less criminals in Ajijic letīs see what happens to them if anything,

Chapala Payaso

Jan 3, 2012, 4:20 PM

Post #45 of 45 (3178 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] Violence in Chapala - Deja vu

Not being the sharpest knife in the drawer could reasonably be interpreted as you did but it could also, as I intended it, mean that he was not up to the tasks at hand. The string comes full circle for me when you note that you are on your own. That was my commentary at the beginning. Take care of yourself or submit.

As an aside, we should all note that the two most read strings are about safety issues here in the area. Concerns are high whether you living here or contemplating doing so. Fear on the part of older gringo population impacts how many will come here to stay here. And that impacts the area more than whether or not you can find your preferred brand of whatever locally and the ever increasing traffic jams. An enterprising entrepreneur may do well starting up a gun club and giving lessons.

(This post was edited by Chapala Payaso on Jan 3, 2012, 4:29 PM)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4