Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

Papirex

Nov 22, 2011, 11:23 AM

Post #1 of 5 (5712 views)

Shortcut

Thanksgiving dinner & loneliness

Can't Post | Private Reply
Today, Tuesday the 22nd, Sarita, my suegra (mother-in-law), and my sobrino (nephew) from Queretero are supposed to arrive here in Cuernavaca so we can attend the American style Thanksgiving dinner at St Mikes (St. Michaels Episcopal Church) on Thursday the 24th. We have gone there before, Most Mexicans really enjoy American turkey Holiday dinners. The Holiday dinners at St. Mikes are always delicious, they have a cash bar, so a person can have a drink with dinner if they like, I no longer drink. I invited them, and Carlotta from next door. My sobrino has been seeing Carlotta a lot. Carlotta is a very nice young girl, She is like my “step-daughter”, even though her father is still living.

Last night Carlotta brought me a home cooked dinner again. It was Flautas (flutes), They are tightly rolled crisp tortillas around a meat filling. The ones I had last night were filled with chicken, covered with crema (like sour cream), and covered with a green salad. Delicious, Doris used to prepare them sometimes. People that say they don’t like Mexican food have usually never tried a variety of it. You will seldom find any genuine Mexican food in any “Mexican” restaurant NOB (North Of the Border) Real Mexican food is spicy and delicious sometimes, but seldom hot. Sarita does like hot chili's, in fact, she carries a little plastic shaker in her purse, filled with a red powder, so she always has some with her if we eat out.

Doris never liked very hot chili's. She could not eat the same Chili”s that her Mom did. It was kind of amusing to see a Mexican put a chili down, saying “Oh, that’s too hot”. She used to prepare Flautas for us sometimes too.

I am temporarily lonely again, that should end today. Being a Viudo (widower) is the pits. I miss the companionship of Doris. Now, I really understand what my Dad went through the last 22 years of his life as a widower. It’s not the same as being divorced, when you are usually relieved, and you know your ex is still living.

I cannot abandon her country that my wife loved, not yet anyway, maybe never.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

esperanza

Nov 22, 2011, 11:38 AM

Post #2 of 5 (5695 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] Thanksgiving dinner & loneliness

Big hugs to you, Rex, even if they are just 'virtual' hugs. Enjoy your visitors, have a wonderful dinner, and know that we here on Mexconnect are thinking of you. Besos!

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

sfmacaws

Nov 22, 2011, 11:48 PM

Post #3 of 5 (5633 views)

Shortcut

Rex, old friend. I've only just started reading here again and I am so saddened to hear of Doris's passing. Too soon, much too soon. My heart goes out to you and I hope that you do enjoy your Thanksgiving. So many wonderful years with Doris, it is something to be thankful for. I am grieving for you though, I had no idea she was gone. I think Mexico has taken you as one of her own, you have family here and people who love you.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

wearechange

Nov 23, 2011, 4:10 PM

Post #4 of 5 (5579 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for sharing your story and for warming up this message board for us. Now this is what Thanksgiving is about. (football game doesn´t hurt). Hope we continue to hear from you.

wearechange

Dec 5, 2011, 4:46 PM

Post #5 of 5 (5257 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wearechange] Thanksgiving dinner & loneliness

Damn! This message board is getting pretty lonely too.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4