Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

simpsca

Nov 22, 2011, 8:50 AM

Post #1 of 16 (3064 views)

Shortcut

Change the locks on your house when you rent or buy

Can't Post | Private Reply
There was a very violent home invasion in Rancho del Oro this weekend - see the Lakesidecrime.com link for details: http://lakesidecrime.com/ranchodeloro/ranchodeloro1119_2011.php

Just a FYI you may want to change keys on your locks, add new locks even on a rental. One friend found the real estate agent was letting herself in without notice. And when you buy a house change the locks also. The incident in Rancho del Oro had no obvious break-in.

don pedro

Nov 22, 2011, 5:30 PM

Post #2 of 16 (3012 views)

Shortcut

Re: [simpsca] Change the locks on your house when you rent or buy

we have lived in a very bad neighbourhood for 5 1/2 years in a cheap crappy house. didn't change the locks,stupidly gave 2 difernt maids keys and [gasp!] nuttin' happened.
i feel so left out-SNORK!
does any o' ya unerstan dripping sarcasm from an unperinoidal hombre?
http://chapalamexicoinfo.createforumhosting.com
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!

johanson

Nov 22, 2011, 5:43 PM

Post #3 of 16 (3010 views)

Shortcut

Re: [don pedro] Change the locks on your house when you rent or buy

Yes, but you are from Millet (you know the Millet Oilers) so you have protection. :) By the way, I think you live in a nice neighborhood. And if you have a problem, all you have to do is call RCMP Admin (780) 312-7200

Therefore, no one would ever dare mess with you, here, lakeside.

(This post was edited by johanson on Nov 22, 2011, 5:46 PM)

don pedro

Nov 22, 2011, 5:55 PM

Post #4 of 16 (3004 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Change the locks on your house when you rent or buy

i don't need no horsemen. would you mess with me? that is me in my avatar and all my moto amigos are similar in looks and demeanor and most of them are much younger and mexican.
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!

Vichil

Nov 23, 2011, 12:51 PM

Post #5 of 16 (2938 views)

Shortcut

It is not about you , it is about the victims. One was very hurt and the other are really traumatized. No need to change the subject about your situation which is totally irrelevant to the first post. People who come here for the season need to be forwarned and their locks should be changed for extra security.

(This post was edited by Vichil on Nov 23, 2011, 3:13 PM)

don pedro

Nov 23, 2011, 1:45 PM

Post #6 of 16 (2926 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] Change the locks on your house when you rent or buy

whose changing the subject brigitte, other than you. because there was a coupla incidents recently doesnt mean "everyone" should run out and change locks. i discussed this with your husband today who appeared shocked that the lake has a population of 250,000 - 80,000 of which live between mezcala and jocotepec. yes there is crime here some of which is very serious. the numbers are, never the less, not so great considering the population. it seems a coupla very nasty perps are finding good pickings in one particular community just west of ajijic. are you going to change your locks?

CanuckBob

Nov 23, 2011, 2:16 PM

Post #7 of 16 (2912 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
i don't need no horsemen. would you mess with me? that is me in my avatar and all my moto amigos are similar in looks and demeanor and most of them are much younger and mexican.

Maybe ya got nothing worth taking?

Bob
Inside Lakeside
http://www.insidelakeside.com

lamur

Nov 23, 2011, 3:06 PM

Post #8 of 16 (2893 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CanuckBob] Change the locks on your house when you rent or buy

In Reply To

In Reply To

ROTFLMAO!!! I doubt if some old fart in a mask is going to scare anyone who is serious about robbery.

Vichil

Nov 23, 2011, 3:06 PM

Post #9 of 16 (2892 views)

Shortcut

We changed the locks after we bought the house and changing locks when you live in a place where you are going to stay after many other people stayed is a smart move.
The 19 th and 21th of Nov. home invasion was done to rentals . Rentals tend to have people coming and going so why not change the locks when you move in?
Someone lifted our keys one day and came back in the middle of the night , luckily we have an alarm that was enough to scare the people off. We also have double doors and the second door was bolted from the inside so we stayed safe.

What is particularly bad about the last two home invasions is that the thieves had guns and if they do not move on an accident could happen and someone could get killed. Wether the crime rate is low or high is irrelevant when you are the victim: dead is dead.

I am not changing my keys because I got smart and know for sure no one has access to them but when you are moving in you just do not know the history of the property. No need to panic but people need to be vigilant.

The home invasion happened in two very different parts of town so it could happen anywhere.

don pedro

Nov 24, 2011, 7:48 AM

Post #10 of 16 (2813 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

you are absolutely correct. all i have is a picture of a really ugly fat person rolling on the floor laughing her a$$ of which i can't even give away.

CanuckBob

Nov 24, 2011, 8:29 AM

Post #11 of 16 (2800 views)

Shortcut

Jajaja........always best to lay low and not have anything worth taking anyways.

Bob
Inside Lakeside
http://www.insidelakeside.com

Gringal

Nov 27, 2011, 8:49 AM

Post #12 of 16 (2670 views)

Shortcut

Renting or not, changing the locks is CHEAP insurance. The home invasions reported recently involved some violent treatment of the victims. For those who are older and in fragile health, this could be a more deadly event than robbery.

FHBOY

Nov 29, 2011, 7:41 AM

Post #13 of 16 (2532 views)

Shortcut

Re: [simpsca] Change the locks on your house when you rent or buy

In US Home Depot stores, Kwikset makes a lock with a reprogrammable cylinder, allowing for these changes. I do not know if it is available at Home Depot in Mexico

Axixic

Nov 29, 2011, 12:15 PM

Post #14 of 16 (2481 views)

Shortcut

Re: [FHBOY] Change the locks on your house when you rent or buy

It's a good idea to change the locks and do not give keys to the landlord. I had a landlord steal from me, little things like spices but expensive and time consuming to replace. Landlords in Mexico do not have a right to have keys to the rental property.

simpsca

Nov 29, 2011, 12:25 PM

Post #15 of 16 (2475 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Axixic] Change the locks on your house when you rent or buy

I have one friend who rented a house in Ajijic years ago and the real estate agent came in without an appointment. My friend would find things moved around and some things (not my friends) missing. Agent said she was just checking on the place. She called the agent after it happened several times, and finally changed the locks. Who knows if the agent took anything that belonged to my friend.

simpsca

Dec 1, 2011, 8:12 AM

Post #16 of 16 (2368 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Change the locks on your house when you rent or buy

PS You can have your locks re-keyed also - much cheaper.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4