Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

NoelPRB

Nov 12, 2011, 1:38 PM

Post #1 of 6 (5092 views)

Shortcut

solar flares

Can't Post | Private Reply
For the past 5 days we have been having trouble receiving all the channels we used to eg 400 for CFL football. We heard there have been some solar flares which are affecting reception. Any thoughts?

Marlene

Nov 13, 2011, 6:50 AM

Post #2 of 6 (5057 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NoelPRB] solar flares

Do you have Shaw Direct?

NoelPRB

Nov 13, 2011, 6:55 AM

Post #3 of 6 (5050 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] solar flares

yes I do , and I still get the channels in the 300s but not 400/401 and th channels we used to get in the 500s. I still get the music/radio channels just fine

In Reply To

Marlene

Nov 13, 2011, 8:05 AM

Post #4 of 6 (5037 views)

Shortcut

For those wondering about the differences in channel numbers on Shaw Direct, they now have a handy PDF that shows the two corresponding numbers side by side. In late 2009 they introduced a new channel line up, which made it a bit confusing. There is the Classic line-up and the Advanced line-up. The basic subscriptions won't receive all the channels shown.

http://www.shawdirect.ca/...ing_c_09_07_11_e.pdf

YucaLandia

Nov 13, 2011, 9:24 AM

Post #5 of 6 (5017 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
For the past 5 days we have been having trouble receiving all the channels we used to eg 400 for CFL football. We heard there have been some solar flares which are affecting reception. Any thoughts?

I previously wrote posts about our system's Dish Network satellite reception and the possibility of solar flares - since the problems were happening worst between 9 AM and 3 PM. It turned out that I had 2 LNBs that were slowly failing in similar ways, and the problems only appeared when the sun was beating onto them - overheating circuitry damaged by a previous lightning storm electrical surges. The weakened LNBs partially failed on only some transponders when the sun beat on them - showing false signs of solar flare influence & tuning problems.
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

johanson / Moderator

Nov 13, 2011, 12:53 PM

Post #6 of 6 (4997 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] solar flares

Yes what happens is that the sun gets in back of the satellite your dish is pointed at for a few minutes in the early afternoon near Guadalajara during the earlier fall and again in the spring. These outages were quite some time back. And whatever is wrong is not because of the sun getting behind the satellite you are pointing at. The sun passes underneath that satellite you are pointing at at this time of the year.

I wish you the best trying to figure out what the problem is.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4