Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

tashby

Nov 5, 2011, 6:13 PM

Post #1 of 8 (7442 views)

Shortcut

Tachihual - (pan pinto....pan de vieja)

Can't Post | Private Reply
I facilitate an English conversation practice group and today we started talking about unusual foods that people had tried. The group runs the spectrum as far as age and experience goes. Anyway, one teenage girl from San Juan Cosalá mentioned "Tachihual", a type of bread. She made it clear that it was the grain that made it different. Someone else in class knew of it, and said that it was distinctively ácido (sharp).

When I got home I began wondering if maybe it was a type of rye bread, but no. Sr. Google reveals that it's made from harina de trigo fermentado, fermented wheat.

I found photos of it on a Zacoalco, Jal website, but it looks like any other small, round loaf. Curious if it tastes like anything we're familiar with from NOB ovens? Thanks!

tashby

Nov 5, 2011, 7:19 PM

Post #2 of 8 (7430 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Tachihual - (pan pinto....pan de vieja)

A little further gagoogling makes me wonder if it's a type of sourdough. (So many new words....so many regional variations. Plus I don't know anything about how to cook.) It's no doubt available here in Jalisco, as some of the first links were to Zacoalco, and Tlajomulco websites. And students in class mentioned where I might find it locally.

I'll just have to find some.

esperanza

Nov 5, 2011, 10:00 PM

Post #3 of 8 (7415 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Tachihual - (pan pinto....pan de vieja)

http://mexicocooks.typepad.com/...ks/2007/06/post.html

Here you go. There is a long tradition of tlachigual at Lake Chapala. There is a family whose children sell it on your street from big tin washtubs. Ask around. It's a sweet bread, not sourdough, and often contains some chopped nuts and dried fruit.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

La Isla

Nov 5, 2011, 10:19 PM

Post #4 of 8 (7412 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Tachihual - (pan pinto....pan de vieja)

After reading that article, esperanza, I can almost smell the tlachigual baking!

Bennie García

Nov 5, 2011, 10:38 PM

Post #5 of 8 (7405 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Tachihual - (pan pinto....pan de vieja)

Actually, I believe the proper name for it is pan tachigual not pan de tlachigual since it isn't made from tachigual. And leave out the first "L".

tashby

Nov 5, 2011, 11:01 PM

Post #6 of 8 (7402 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Tachihual - (pan pinto....pan de vieja)

Ooooh, thank you. I'm amazed you even recognized what I was trying to spell phonetically.

Great link, and as ever, thanks. Now I have a little projecct....a fun and tasty one, no doubt!

La Isla

Nov 5, 2011, 11:02 PM

Post #7 of 8 (7401 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] Tachihual - (pan pinto....pan de vieja)

Pardon my spelling error. After all I'm not very fluent in culinary Nahuatl. I just copied the spelling from esperanza's article, so it's she whom you should be taking to task :) .

Bennie García

Nov 6, 2011, 5:21 AM

Post #8 of 8 (7393 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Tachihual - (pan pinto....pan de vieja)

Oh sorry, yes I should have hit the reply button to her post. But I pointed out the error only to further assist the OP in his quest for knowledge on the subject. It was, of course, esperanza's spelling error that you had copied.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4