Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

SunFan

Nov 5, 2011, 3:03 AM

Post #1 of 2 (2243 views)

Shortcut

Yet Another Cell Phone Question

Can't Post | Private Reply

A variation on the question just posed by HarrinNM. I scoured the forums but didn't see anything that addressed my need. Can you help?

Johanson suggested I post my question to the board experts.

My wife and I are coming down to Lakeside to live in mid-December. We've rented a home in Chula Vista.

At the end of the month I'll be retiring and giving up my company supplied Blackberry.

I want to get an Android Smartphone....ideally the latest models like the HTC Raider or Samsung Galaxy with the dual core processors and higher definition graphics.

1. Are these phones available yet with any of the Lakeside Telecoms?

2. What might the phones cost with a 2 or 3 year data plan...or no plan?

3. What would a modest voice/data plan cost on a monthly basis? I plan to use WiFi for as much of the data as I can.

Thanks for your expert advice.

George

joaquinx

Nov 5, 2011, 7:33 AM

Post #2 of 2 (2236 views)

Shortcut

Re: [SunFan] Yet Another Cell Phone Question

Can't Post | Private Reply
http://www.telcel.com/...es/begin.do?mid=1200

Although in Spanish, this will give you some idea of the costs of a plan. Telcel gives you a rigorous credit check to qualify.

You might want to look into the Amigo Plan which requires no credit check and is essentially a prepay. 500 peso purchase of time for calls, internet, and text message will give you some 250 extra pesos of time as a bonus. I was doing this for months until I opted for the "demand" method, which is simply paying for usage as I needed it. Of course, I had to keep a balance in order to access email, telephone calls, internet, etc. Since I use wifi most of the time, I didn't need to purchase bulk bytes of internet usage for email and internet.

You got to think of your usage. The web site also has a list of telephone that are available. Prices are at the stores. Smartphone are sold at Telcel customer centers. You might be able to save money by buying a unlocked telephone in the US.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4