Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

raferguson

Nov 2, 2011, 6:09 PM

Post #1 of 4 (7014 views)

Shortcut

Returned with a vengance

Can't Post | Private Reply
In English, we have a phrase "returned with a vengeance", or "come back with a vengeance" implying that something has come back, but to a greater degree.

I translated it as "regresado con fuerza", which I think is OK, but maybe there is a better way to say it. "Regresado con verganza" is literal, but probably not idiomatic or appropriate.

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

Maesonna

Nov 2, 2011, 7:16 PM

Post #2 of 4 (7007 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] Returned with a vengance

Wordreference suggests “regresar de verdad” o “regresar con ganas.” I particularly like the latter, since expressions with “ganas” tend to be very idiomatic and can often be hard to translate into English. And I think it does capture the meaning.

Bennie García

Nov 2, 2011, 8:30 PM

Post #3 of 4 (6997 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
"Regresado con verganza" is literal,

Richard

Actually that is borderline vulgar. Watch those spelling mistakes.

eyePad

Nov 3, 2011, 8:30 AM

Post #4 of 4 (6978 views)

Shortcut

Richard you have asked a tough one. You are asking to translate an idiomatic expression from english into spanish, but there is no easy idiomatic-to-idiomatic translation that I know of. I would say something more like "ese problema nos ronda otra vez" or "la molestia todavía nos persigue" or something like that. Most of the expressions given by other folks sound kind of over the top (at least of what I understand of the english)

(This post was edited by eyePad on Nov 3, 2011, 8:44 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4