Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Alicia

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 16 (6176 views)

Shortcut

working in puerto vallarta

Can't Post |
Hi! My spouse and I are planning on moving to Puerto Vallarta in January to join his parents. We are curious about the availability of jobs... neither of us are concerned about making loads of cash--just enough to get by and live a decent, modest existence! My spouse is interested in the timeshare business and I am interested in teaching English independently. How easy would it be for us to obtain FM-3s for these purposes? Will it be relatively easy for us to find jobs? We are a young Canadian couple with a lot of ambition and are really looking forward to our move down.<p>I would really appreciate any information that any of you could provide!
Thanks so much.<p>-Alicia

Lucy

Post #2 of 16 (6169 views)

Shortcut

working in puerto vallarta

Can't Post |

Hi Alicia
I lived in PV for a while. The opportunities in the time share business are great. It will be a bit late for this year. i have friends that work in the industry. they usually hire and train during the summer. It is now getting into prime season. There are lots of English schools in PV. Many Mexicans do speak English already. It is hard to get a job there unless they already are an English speaker. <p>If your husband is a good salesman, you won't need to work. The hours are long but the season is only 8 months. Time to get out of town for a while or just relax. During season he will work 6-7 days.. L O N G days... Good luck. Get the names of the time share operators and start contacting them NOW for the future. <p>: Hi! My spouse and I are planning on moving to Puerto Vallarta in January to join his parents. We are curious about the availability of jobs... neither of us are concerned about making loads of cash--just enough to get by and live a decent, modest existence! My spouse is interested in the timeshare business and I am interested in teaching English independently. How easy would it be for us to obtain FM-3s for these purposes? Will it be relatively easy for us to find jobs? We are a young Canadian couple with a lot of ambition and are really looking forward to our move down.<p>: I would really appreciate any information that any of you could provide!
: Thanks so much.<p>: -Alicia<p>

Alicia

Post #3 of 16 (6164 views)

Shortcut

Lucy

Can't Post |
Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly! I really appreciate it. Will January be too late to start getting into selling timeshares? Is it possible to get an FM-3 while teaching english independently (ie: not with a school or organization)? Where do we get contact names/numbers for the timeshare people?
Thanks again!
-Alicia<p>
: Hi Alicia
: I lived in PV for a while. The opportunities in the time share business are great. It will be a bit late for this year. i have friends that work in the industry. they usually hire and train during the summer. It is now getting into prime season. There are lots of English schools in PV. Many Mexicans do speak English already. It is hard to get a job there unless they already are an English speaker. <p>: If your husband is a good salesman, you won't need to work. The hours are long but the season is only 8 months. Time to get out of town for a while or just relax. During season he will work 6-7 days.. L O N G days... Good luck. Get the names of the time share operators and start contacting them NOW for the future. <p>: : Hi! My spouse and I are planning on moving to Puerto Vallarta in January to join his parents. We are curious about the availability of jobs... neither of us are concerned about making loads of cash--just enough to get by and live a decent, modest existence! My spouse is interested in the timeshare business and I am interested in teaching English independently. How easy would it be for us to obtain FM-3s for these purposes? Will it be relatively easy for us to find jobs? We are a young Canadian couple with a lot of ambition and are really looking forward to our move down.<p>: : I would really appreciate any information that any of you could provide!
: : Thanks so much.<p>: : -Alicia<p>

Lucy

Post #4 of 16 (6168 views)

Shortcut

jobs

Can't Post |
I did meet a few young college girls from Europe that were working for resturants as a hostess on the beach and oldtown. I'm fairly sure they weren't legal but no one seemed to care. They were exceptionally attractive and young. Seems they were there for a short time. I also knew a woman that taught English at one of the American schools. She had a degree, teaching credentials and many years of experience. she was legal.<p>Jobs are available but are rare and don't pay well. Being legal is important here usually. Perhaps you should think about this a bit more prior to the move.. Perhaps plan better for next year.. PS A FM-3 is different than working permits.. The work permit is what you need.<p>
: Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly! I really appreciate it. Will January be too late to start getting into selling timeshares? Is it possible to get an FM-3 while teaching english independently (ie: not with a school or organization)? Where do we get contact names/numbers for the timeshare people?
: Thanks again!
: -Alicia<p>:
: : Hi Alicia
: : I lived in PV for a while. The opportunities in the time share business are great. It will be a bit late for this year. i have friends that work in the industry. they usually hire and train during the summer. It is now getting into prime season. There are lots of English schools in PV. Many Mexicans do speak English already. It is hard to get a job there unless they already are an English speaker. <p>: : If your husband is a good salesman, you won't need to work. The hours are long but the season is only 8 months. Time to get out of town for a while or just relax. During season he will work 6-7 days.. L O N G days... Good luck. Get the names of the time share operators and start contacting them NOW for the future. <p>: : : Hi! My spouse and I are planning on moving to Puerto Vallarta in January to join his parents. We are curious about the availability of jobs... neither of us are concerned about making loads of cash--just enough to get by and live a decent, modest existence! My spouse is interested in the timeshare business and I am interested in teaching English independently. How easy would it be for us to obtain FM-3s for these purposes? Will it be relatively easy for us to find jobs? We are a young Canadian couple with a lot of ambition and are really looking forward to our move down.<p>: : : I would really appreciate any information that any of you could provide!
: : : Thanks so much.<p>: : : -Alicia<p>

Kate

Post #5 of 16 (6166 views)

Shortcut

jobs

Can't Post |
Lucy, probablly those girls were legal, here in CSL they hire these girls as gostesses, but they really work for the timeshare companies, not the restaurants..they are called OPCs (Outside Personal Contacts, I think) They get paid a commission on each person that shows up at the presentation and a portion if there are sales.Here I think they get about 30 bucks per couple that attends a presentation and a housing allowance.

Lucy

Post #6 of 16 (6162 views)

Shortcut

jobs

Can't Post |
Wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info..<p>
: Lucy, probablly those girls were legal, here in CSL they hire these girls as gostesses, but they really work for the timeshare companies, not the restaurants..they are called OPCs (Outside Personal Contacts, I think) They get paid a commission on each person that shows up at the presentation and a portion if there are sales.Here I think they get about 30 bucks per couple that attends a presentation and a housing allowance. <p>

pmt

Post #7 of 16 (6165 views)

Shortcut

jobs-another way to harrass the tourist

Can't Post |
.....and nothing is worse than thinking you are going to a nice restaurant (or shopping center, or museum, or whatever other place), thinking that the "hostess" or "host" is there to be pleasant and assist you when boom! the timeshare speech begins. You can't even enjoy a quiet meal in many restaurants here in PV anymore without someone bugging you to "spend a mere 60 minutes of your time" (ha!!!)for a "freebie". When will the timeshare industry understand that they are scaring people away?!!!! There is a place for timeshare, true, - it brings many tourists to PV - BUT the OPC's and undercover agents are doing nothing but harrassing the tourist. Think twice before becoming a "hostess" - besides the big money is in with the closer who brings out the big guns and makes the deal. <p><p><p>
Wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info..<p>:
: : Lucy, probablly those girls were legal, here in CSL they hire these girls as gostesses, but they really work for the timeshare companies, not the restaurants..they are called OPCs (Outside Personal Contacts, I think) They get paid a commission on each person that shows up at the presentation and a portion if there are sales.Here I think they get about 30 bucks per couple that attends a presentation and a housing allowance. <p>

Lucy

Post #8 of 16 (6162 views)

Shortcut

Really????

Can't Post |
I lived in PV for 8 months. I ate in cafes, went to the beach, visited bars, etc. was never approached "inside "a private establishment for a time share. Yes, I was offered trinkets and the musicans asked if I was interested in a song. All were poiite.. A smile and "no thanks" were all they asked for if you are too cheap to offer a few cents. That's not too much. This is how they earn a living. Look at the reaction from other Mexicans. They are usually generous to others less fortunate and thank god they can help. Lighten up a bit, BUD...<p><p>: .....and nothing is worse than thinking you are going to a nice restaurant (or shopping center, or museum, or whatever other place), thinking that the "hostess" or "host" is there to be pleasant and assist you when boom! the timeshare speech begins. You can't even enjoy a quiet meal in many restaurants here in PV anymore without someone bugging you to "spend a mere 60 minutes of your time" (ha!!!)for a "freebie". When will the timeshare industry understand that they are scaring people away?!!!! There is a place for timeshare, true, - it brings many tourists to PV - BUT the OPC's and undercover agents are doing nothing but harrassing the tourist. Think twice before becoming a "hostess" - besides the big money is in with the closer who brings out the big guns and makes the deal. <p><p>:
: Wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info..<p>: :
: : : Lucy, probablly those girls were legal, here in CSL they hire these girls as gostesses, but they really work for the timeshare companies, not the restaurants..they are called OPCs (Outside Personal Contacts, I think) They get paid a commission on each person that shows up at the presentation and a portion if there are sales.Here I think they get about 30 bucks per couple that attends a presentation and a housing allowance. <p>

JRinPV

Post #9 of 16 (6162 views)

Shortcut

Really????

Can't Post |
: I lived in PV for 8 months. I ate in cafes, went to the beach, visited bars, etc. was never approached "inside "a private establishment for a time share. Yes, I was offered trinkets and the musicans asked if I was interested in a song. All were poiite.. A smile and "no thanks" were all they asked for if you are too cheap to offer a few cents. That's not too much. This is how they earn a living. Look at the reaction from other Mexicans. They are usually generous to others less fortunate and thank god they can help. Lighten up a bit, BUD...<p>
You just didn't fit their 'profile'

Marlene in Mazatlan

Post #10 of 16 (6162 views)

Shortcut

Restaurants here too, AND they also hop on the transportation bus at the airport.....

Can't Post |
I had occasion to use the bus transportation from the airport and was slightly taken aback by this ploy. Newcomers to Mazatlan, disoriented, hot, tired, maybe even with a few drinks from the airplane and with a long ride ahead of them......what an opportunity. This particular person pretended to be the "Welcome to Mazatlan Committee" but was clearly under the gun, time wise. She wasted no time in asking everyone where they were staying. When we told her we lived here, she quickly moved along to her next potential. When we got to the city, she hastily exited the bus, and I am assuming she quickly returned to the airport.
Here in Mazatlan, it doesn't have to be an upscale restaurant. Any old tourist haunt seems to do the trick. Of course they do portray themselves as hosts or hostesses, and it is interesting to watch them work. If you are local, they know you, they do a lot of people watching. Their income depends on not wasting time with anyone.
M<p><p>: : I lived in PV for 8 months. I ate in cafes, went to the beach, visited bars, etc. was never approached "inside "a private establishment for a time share. Yes, I was offered trinkets and the musicans asked if I was interested in a song. All were poiite.. A smile and "no thanks" were all they asked for if you are too cheap to offer a few cents. That's not too much. This is how they earn a living. Look at the reaction from other Mexicans. They are usually generous to others less fortunate and thank god they can help. Lighten up a bit, BUD...<p>:
: You just didn't fit their 'profile'<p>

Lucy

Post #11 of 16 (6159 views)

Shortcut

Really????

Can't Post |
Yes, i was apporched on the street by the timeshare folks. They were always polite and generally interesting young people.(the only exception were a few people north of McDonalds that would whistle at you and offer some inappropriate freebees) I did fit the profile. I was alive, had a credit card and a US driver's license. They even offered to split their commission with me when I told them I was a local. They were only on the street. Never in a resturant. Always polite. Never had a negative experience with any of them. Perhaps I'm not that defensive and don't feel thretened by sales people. They are just trying to earn a living.. Just not a big deal to me. It didn't hurt me to be asked. A smile for them is always nice and appreciated by people doing a hard job...<p>
: : I lived in PV for 8 months. I ate in cafes, went to the beach, visited bars, etc. was never approached "inside "a private establishment for a time share. Yes, I was offered trinkets and the musicans asked if I was interested in a song. All were poiite.. A smile and "no thanks" were all they asked for if you are too cheap to offer a few cents. That's not too much. This is how they earn a living. Look at the reaction from other Mexicans. They are usually generous to others less fortunate and thank god they can help. Lighten up a bit, BUD...<p>:
: You just didn't fit their 'profile'<p>

pt

Post #12 of 16 (6160 views)

Shortcut

Really????

Can't Post |
Well, first, my name is not BUD. And secondly, I am not speaking (nor mentioned) the vendors with trinkets or the musicians! In "cafe's" etc, you will not find these timeshare people - as they are in the more upscale restaurants where they have a better chance of snagging someone. Maybe you should do some research - read other message boards and know the complaints of the tourists harrassed by OPC's. If you are truely concerned - being a "local" that is - about Puerto Vallarta, you will know that many of the tourists walk on the other side of the street (malecon) to avoid the harrassment. I am not against timeshare - never said I was. It is the approach they take that is offensive. Unfortunately, the majority will not take a smile and polite no for an answer. If they do - great for them! And you definitely have not been to many of the upscale restaurants who DO have the timeshare people in them. I am most certainly not intimated by any salesperson. I respect anyone attempting to make an honest living - regardless of what it is. <p><p>
Yes, i was apporched on the street by the timeshare folks. They were always polite and generally interesting young people.(the only exception were a few people north of McDonalds that would whistle at you and offer some inappropriate freebees) I did fit the profile. I was alive, had a credit card and a US driver's license. They even offered to split their commission with me when I told them I was a local. They were only on the street. Never in a resturant. Always polite. Never had a negative experience with any of them. Perhaps I'm not that defensive and don't feel thretened by sales people. They are just trying to earn a living.. Just not a big deal to me. It didn't hurt me to be asked. A smile for them is always nice and appreciated by people doing a hard job...<p>:
: : : I lived in PV for 8 months. I ate in cafes, went to the beach, visited bars, etc. was never approached "inside "a private establishment for a time share. Yes, I was offered trinkets and the musicans asked if I was interested in a song. All were poiite.. A smile and "no thanks" were all they asked for if you are too cheap to offer a few cents. That's not too much. This is how they earn a living. Look at the reaction from other Mexicans. They are usually generous to others less fortunate and thank god they can help. Lighten up a bit, BUD...<p>: :
: : You just didn't fit their 'profile'<p>

sf

Post #13 of 16 (6162 views)

Shortcut

It happens

Can't Post |
Well put, pt. I personally have never been accosted in a nice place, but have spoken to many people who have. I would not like that at all!
I do know that the aggressive time share people are considered a drawback to PV

ex_navyordie

Sep 11, 2003, 11:48 PM

Post #14 of 16 (6134 views)

Shortcut

Have been visiting PV religiously for the past 15 years in January..........

Can't Post |
............for a solid two weeks (including a shorter visit every Ocotber without my wife strictly to go diving) and have found that the OCP. undercovers or Timeshare sellers have absolutely been a negative effect on my PERSONAL experiences to Mexico, almost consistently for years. I fully understand what walking on "the other side" of the Malecon and in actuality it is quite sad that one even has to do such a thing. AT LEAST 1 timeshare booth is present on each and every block of that main street and just about everyone OCP you pass will offer you a free jeep, a free boat ride or a free trip of some sort. When I was a "newbie" to PV, I was constatntly pleasant to these people, but have passed by many in all my politeness and heard them saying something very nasty or even DEROGATORY to me as I walked passed and I gave them the no thank you, not interested. These are some of the MOST AGGRESSIVE sales people I have ever come across in my lifetime and I am a military beteran who has been around the world. I figure these are people who are simply looking to make a living and I can't knock them for that, but come on it is to the point where I would rather tsya out of town than to have to try and dodge these pesks. Being that I am not a big drinker, I can avoid that strip for the most part and have foudn it much easier to park as close to my restaurant of choice to avoid making any contact with these many times obnoxious individuals.

I will share a true story with you. It was probably my 6th or 7th time visitng PV and I actually listened or sat thru one of these supposedly "very exclusive" timeshare resorts. About 5 minutes into his presentation, he noticed I had a few tattoos on my arms and immediately told me, you need to cover up those tattoos, they aren't permitted here. I actually almost had my jaw hit the table. I asked him very simply, so please explain to me how I will enjoy your facilities if I have to walk around with a Tee shirt on all day. The guy said, just lie to them next year (assuming you purchase a timeshare there) and explain to them that all the tattos were brand new and you just had gotten the year after the timeshare was purchased. Needless to say, I told my wife to pick up her purse because we were leaving, I was immediately informed by Jose that we wouldn't get our free jeep he had promised unless I had stayyed for the full 60 minutes, I immediately informed Joose, we weren't there for a free Jeep, we were there to view the Hotel and it's facilities which he had described as being so elegant, spacious and affordable. That experience alone assured me I would NEVER be interested in getting a timeshare (or another tour of a timeshare) in Mexico, before I ever consider that I will just rent an apartment from any number of friends along with any number of other options I could easily exercise. Can you imagine this guy telling to cover up my tattoos, it was just simply ridiculous and to say the least STUPID. I can say that I am not some "biker type" with a million tattoos, I have to tattoos about 4 inches on the back of each of my arms and NONE on my forearms whatsoever. Ever since that one experience me and my wife NEVER sat thru a timeshare presentation and they could have offered me the timeshare for FREE!!! My point is really, that yes the aggressiveness of the people selling timeshares in PV is to the point where it could ruin any trip you attempt to make on foot on or around the Malecon, so keep that in mind as you past the McDonalds on the Corner just past the Jyeria Safiro!!

Best regards,

Gilbert Martinez

ex_navyordie

Sep 11, 2003, 11:57 PM

Post #15 of 16 (6132 views)

Shortcut

I have also seen them aggressively working the restaurants........

Can't Post |
..........usually they are ploite enough to wait for you to either just finish your meal or they may shover for a short while just before you start your meal and either way it is in VERY POOR TASTE PERIOD!! And before anyone asks I have eaten at THE most expensive restaurants as well as the nearest taco or quesadilla stand, my tastes for Mexican as well as any cuisine varies greatly!!

Best regards,

Gilbert Martinez

Kip

Sep 12, 2003, 3:42 AM

Post #16 of 16 (6125 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ex_navyordie] I have also seen them aggressively working the restaurants........

Can't Post | Private Reply
We had the same experience. What is really upsetting is that you dont want to be rude, you're there to enjoy Mexico, but they eventually force you into it and that's a bummer. To me it's just so unMexican. Before PV all of my experiences were with people who had much better manners and were a joy to be around. The timeshare folks must go to some kind of training to wipeout everything their Mama's taught them.

Kip
kip

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4