Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

skier14

Oct 27, 2011, 4:27 PM

Post #1 of 34 (6922 views)

Shortcut

MEDICAL INFO

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have just been informed by an cardiologist in Guadalajara that I need to have coronary angioplasty and a stent inserted. I have been through the Ecocardiograma de Stress proceedure which showed a partial blockage of an artery. My problem is I have no insurance in Mexico and only Medicare Part A. I was informed that the proceedure at a private hospital here will run about $13,000 USD which I donīt have except to add to a credit card balance. I was also informed that I could also get treatment at the Hospital Civil in Guadalajara and that there might be a minimal charge. I also am a card carrying Veterns Hospital patient from the San Diego California VA Hospital. Since this is not due to any service connected incident there will be costs involved. Does anyone have any experience in this type of experience or any GOOD advice. The other option of doing nothing does not sit very well with me.

joaquinx

Oct 27, 2011, 5:48 PM

Post #2 of 34 (6894 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skier14] MEDICAL INFO

In Reply To
I also am a card carrying Veterns Hospital patient from the San Diego California VA Hospital. Since this is not due to any service connected incident there will be costs involved.

Does being a card carrying VA patient mean that you have a service-connected disability? If so, then the operation might be without cost. You really have to check with VA to be sure.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Sculptari

Oct 28, 2011, 9:03 AM

Post #3 of 34 (6836 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] MEDICAL INFO

Can't Post |
David Lord in Puerto Vallarta, or someone in the organization he founded might help.
http://www.banderasnews.com/.../vl-vahealthcare.htm

Also there is another Veteran on this board who went to the military hospital for surgery. The price was considerably lower than the private hospitals, the care by a military trained medical team. There is also Seguros Popular - President Calderone's pet project for universal healthcare in Mexico.
no longer active on Mexconnect

(This post was edited by Rolly on Oct 28, 2011, 10:16 AM)

skier14

Oct 28, 2011, 9:12 AM

Post #4 of 34 (6830 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] MEDICAL INFO

I do not have a service connected disability.

DavidHF

Oct 28, 2011, 10:48 AM

Post #5 of 34 (6810 views)

Shortcut

If you are a VET the Mexican Veterans Hospitals will serve you.

Axixic

Oct 28, 2011, 1:12 PM

Post #6 of 34 (6787 views)

Shortcut

If you are classified as Priority Group 8, the co-pay is still a lot less than what you will be charged in Mexico at a private hospital.

http://www.va.gov/...theligibility/costs/

http://www.va.gov/...ance/CopayGlance.pdf

The financial threshold for (noncompensable) and nonservice-connected veterans. If your income is less than $29, 402 a year for 1 person, you qualify for VA care with a deductible of $1, 132.
http://www.va.gov/...IncomeThresholds.pdf

(This post was edited by Rolly on Oct 28, 2011, 1:30 PM)

skier14

Oct 28, 2011, 5:32 PM

Post #7 of 34 (6753 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Axixic] MEDICAL INFO

Priority Group 5

Axixic

Oct 28, 2011, 5:52 PM

Post #8 of 34 (6748 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Priority Group 5

Then you should pay very little for health care. The site states something about paying travel expenses. Maybe you can have your travel expenses covered also.

skier14

Oct 28, 2011, 7:25 PM

Post #9 of 34 (6736 views)

Shortcut

Thanks loads for the info and contact sites. I am waiting for a reply from VA via email. In the meantime I went to the Seguros Popular office at the Hospital Civil this afternoon and was able to see and receive evaluations within 1 hour. They suggested I return Monday morning to talk to a Cardiologist. I was also informed that while I was undergoing the Stress Ecocardiogram this last Tuesday that I suffered a slight heart attack in which my heart stopped for a few seconds. I remember nothing except having a trembleing feeling as my heart was beating rapidly. Iīm alive and that is good. Where I receive additional treatment will depend on the next weeks reponses from Seguros Popular and the VA. Everyone here in Guadalajara thinks an angioplasty proceedure with a stent is the best way to go along with Plavix and aspirin before and after angioplasty Thanks again everyone. Will keep you posted.

MikeKG

Nov 3, 2011, 2:51 PM

Post #10 of 34 (6577 views)

Shortcut

Please keep us informed

skier14

Nov 3, 2011, 6:31 PM

Post #11 of 34 (6551 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MikeKG] MEDICAL INFO

I received a reply from the VA stating that only service connected items were covered by the VA for vets living outside of the USA. I replied by asking if there was any difference if I were to come to San Diego VA Hospital at my expense and that the VA has my address as Modoc, County, California(my brothers place). Still waiting for a reply. In the meantime I went to the hospital civil cardiologist office and was given an appointment for Nov. 17, 2011 and given a perscription for blood work snd an X-ray which requires a small payment. 80 pesos for the 17th appointment and 300 pesos for the blood work and I will have to pay ? for the x-rays to be taken a day or two before the 17th. I am now waiting and taking my Coplavix(Plavix and aspirin combo) once a day. One of the original doctors that I saw at the hospital civil (74 pesos) told me that I could just opt for the medicine as it would eat away the plaque deposit or go for the angioplasty and stent, while still taking the Coplavix. I have been to several websites and nothing has been said about Plavix reducing the anount of plaque build up. So its wait and try not get too excited or worry. Will write more when I know more.

skier14

Nov 17, 2011, 1:52 PM

Post #12 of 34 (6333 views)

Shortcut

Just returned from my cardiologist appointment (7 hours waiting and appointment). Yes I need the angioplasty proceedure with a stent and pronto. Was given a perscription for nitroglycin to have as a standby in case of chest pains. 38,500 pesos. When you get the money come on back. I am still waiting for a reply from the VA Hospital San Diego. If I donīt hear by Monday I will telephone them.

Axixic

Nov 18, 2011, 4:34 AM

Post #13 of 34 (6297 views)

Shortcut

Was that Seguro Popular asking for $38,500 MX or another doctor?

skier14

Nov 18, 2011, 6:24 AM

Post #14 of 34 (6287 views)

Shortcut

I belive it is Seguros Popular as the appointment was at the Hospital Civil in Guadalajara.

Axixic

Nov 18, 2011, 2:45 PM

Post #15 of 34 (6247 views)

Shortcut

I guess $38,500 MX ($2,804.73 USD today) is better than the $13,000 USD you were quoted by a private doctor.

By the time you travel to and from the U.S. and pay your living expenses, the Seguro Popular price might save you some money. Maybe you can work out a payment plan with them. Many Mexicans have payment plans with their doctors. Doesn't hurt to ask.

skier14

Nov 18, 2011, 4:08 PM

Post #16 of 34 (6235 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for the additional info regarding payments. It would be better that getting cash from my credit card, I think.

skier14

Nov 24, 2011, 10:05 AM

Post #17 of 34 (6120 views)

Shortcut

Payment plan not possible with Seguros Popular. I leave with my wife Sat. the 26th for San Diego VA Hospital. Round trip for 2 via Volaris $595 USD plus motel, car rental, meals, and VA co-pay, but I can use my credit card a pay per month. Volaris had an option for changing the flight either going or returning for $6 for each person and each segment of trip.

RickS

Nov 24, 2011, 11:25 AM

Post #18 of 34 (6103 views)

Shortcut

Good luck to you, Herbert.

skyline

Dec 8, 2011, 12:40 PM

Post #19 of 34 (5870 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] MEDICAL INFO

Wow, thanks for sharing your progress getting medical care SOB, gives us all food for thought. For what its worth, your on my prayer list for getting good medical care fast, and a return to good health. I have been there by the way. Good Luck! Skyline

skier14

Dec 23, 2011, 10:29 PM

Post #20 of 34 (5611 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skyline] MEDICAL INFO

MY ANGIOPLASTY-STENT PROCEEDURE ENDED UP BEING A BY-PASS OPERATION. I WAS RELEASED YESTERDAY EVENING AFTER 8 DAYS AT THE VA HOSPITAL SAN DIEGO. I WILL WRITE MORE WHEN I HAVE MORE TIME AND LESS DISCOMFORT.

Camille

Dec 24, 2011, 7:08 PM

Post #21 of 34 (5547 views)

Shortcut

Bless your heart and please keep us informed. At least you got the help you needed when you needed it instead of waiting til el gobierno found you eligible.....
And considering the way Mexican nationals are treated in the US, it's a miracle we can get treatment here at all.

Charles Toney

Dec 27, 2011, 10:09 AM

Post #22 of 34 (5462 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Camille] MEDICAL INFO

I find Camille's response to be misinformed and inflamatory. Having taught in Texas public schools for years, I am aware of many medical resources given to Mexican citizens who are in Texas (often illegally). Many students who call mexico their home have braces on their teeth to improve their smiles at no cost to the family courtesy of the taxpayers. They are provided with free breakfasts and lunches at school courtesy of the taxpayers to improve their health. Students who cannot afford physicals to play sports are given free ones. Local hospital emergency rooms are filled with people calling mexico their home who are seeking medical services which will be paid for by the tax payers.

Having gone through several bouts of cardiac issues, I feel the connection with anyone in a situation where they require medical treatment and have no insurance. Fortunately, I am covered by TRS insurance and my out of pocket loss will be capped at $2000. I have pondered how things will go once I retire and, hopefully, move to Mexico where I want to continue to teach there.

La Isla

Dec 27, 2011, 5:13 PM

Post #23 of 34 (5424 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Charles Toney] MEDICAL INFO

In Reply To
I find Camille's response to be misinformed and inflamatory. Having taught in Texas public schools for years, I am aware of many medical resources given to Mexican citizens who are in Texas (often illegally). Many students who call mexico their home have braces on their teeth to improve their smiles at no cost to the family courtesy of the taxpayers. They are provided with free breakfasts and lunches at school courtesy of the taxpayers to improve their health. Students who cannot afford physicals to play sports are given free ones. Local hospital emergency rooms are filled with people calling mexico their home who are seeking medical services which will be paid for by the tax payers.

You write of these benefits being provided to Mexicans, both children and adults, who are living in the US illegally as being paid for by "the tax payers". Isn't it true that many of these Mexicans work and pay taxes on their wages, just like all other citizens do? Doesn't that make them "tax payers" too?

sioux4noff

Dec 27, 2011, 8:59 PM

Post #24 of 34 (5404 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] MEDICAL INFO

It makes no difference if you work or not, pay taxes or not, you can get those services. Often, but not always, they are available to low income people free of charge, paid for by the general taxpaying public. Whether or not one is illegal to me is not the issue.

La Isla

Dec 27, 2011, 9:08 PM

Post #25 of 34 (5399 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] MEDICAL INFO

In Reply To
It makes no difference if you work or not, pay taxes or not, you can get those services. Often, but not always, they are available to low income people free of charge, paid for by the general taxpaying public. Whether or not one is illegal to me is not the issue.

What, then, is the issue to you?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4