Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Mexico City & Surroundings

LuisaIrene

Oct 23, 2011, 1:52 PM

Post #1 of 6 (4400 views)

Shortcut

Ofrendas in Zócalo and Reforma

Can't Post | Private Reply
I will be in el DF October 27 through 30, i.e., the weekend before el Día de los Muertos. Does anyone know if there will be a display of ofrendas in the Zócalo and/or on Reforma at that time? Mil gracias.

La Isla

Oct 23, 2011, 2:42 PM

Post #2 of 6 (4389 views)

Shortcut

Re: [LuisaIrene] Ofrendas in Zócalo and Reforma

I can't say about Reforma, but I know the big display in the Zócalo has been cancelled this year due to lack of funding from the city. However, if you check a publication like Tiempo Libre during the week of Día de Muertos, there's sure to be a listing of places all over the city where special ofrendas will be on display. If you feel like trekking to the southern part of the city, the Museo Dolores Olmedo always has wonderful ones. Here's the link: http://www.museodoloresolmedo.org.mx/ Are there are bound to be many more!

(This post was edited by Rolly on Oct 23, 2011, 3:08 PM)

Maesonna

Oct 24, 2011, 10:41 AM

Post #3 of 6 (4344 views)

Shortcut

There will be a display of ofrendas at the UNAM in the Explanada Central, the vast open space in the middle of the campus (west of the Rectory and the Library). Student groups combine their artistic ability, cultural heritage, and political and social commentary to create large, elaborate, creative ofrendas. The event is called Mega-ofrenda and it includes film, drama, dance, and multidisciplinary performances and food displays as well. It runs from Friday evening (Oct. 28) to Wednesday night (Nov. 2). This year's theme is a homage to Jorge Luis Borges.

Maesonna

Oct 24, 2011, 10:45 AM

Post #4 of 6 (4342 views)

Shortcut

Here is some information about a public competition of ofrendas, and it says they will be set up on Calle Regina in the centro.

Maesonna

Oct 28, 2011, 4:14 PM

Post #5 of 6 (4272 views)

Shortcut

6th annual Night Bicycle Ride downtown Saturday Oct. 29 7pm–11pm.

La Isla

Oct 28, 2011, 5:08 PM

Post #6 of 6 (4262 views)

Shortcut

Every year there's a wonderful megaofrenda at the Museo Panteón de San Fernando, where many of Mexico's hombres ilustres are buried, including Benito Juárez and his wife. It's located in the Centro Histórico on (what else?) the Plaza de San Fernando, which is more or less across Reforma from the Alameda and a couple of blocks in back of the Lotería Nacional. Here's a link to the website: http://www.cultura.df.gob.mx/index.php/cartelera/details/6599-ofrenda-de-dia-de-muertos.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4