Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

LuisaIrene

Oct 23, 2011, 1:49 PM

Post #1 of 8 (5660 views)

Shortcut

Morelia grocery shopping

Can't Post | Private Reply
Next month I will be spending 10 days in an apartment in the center of the centro histórico of Morelia while I enjoy the music festival. Since I plan to cook and since pasta is the easiest thing to prepare in that kind of situation, I am wondering where I will be able to get essentials like Italian pasta and parmesan cheese. And which of the two central mercados is best for fruits and vegetables? Mil gracias.

esperanza

Oct 23, 2011, 3:31 PM

Post #2 of 8 (5638 views)

Shortcut

Re: [LuisaIrene] Morelia grocery shopping

Most large grocery stores (Wal-Mart, Superama, Mega) in Morelia carry Barilla pasta and parmesan cheese. The parmesan is usually from Uruguay. Trico might also carry other brands of Italian pasta, and I have often seen DeCecco and other pastas at Superama.

Either of the markets (Revolución and Independencia) is good for fruits and vegetables, but ask your neighbors if there is a tianguis near where you are staying. Tianguis produce of all kinds is usually fresher than what you find at either of the two big indoor markets.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

LuisaIrene

Oct 23, 2011, 4:45 PM

Post #3 of 8 (5623 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Morelia grocery shopping

Thanks for your response. Are any of the grocery stores you mention in the Centro Histórico, and if so, can you pinpoint their location?

esperanza

Oct 23, 2011, 7:12 PM

Post #4 of 8 (5604 views)

Shortcut

The only one I mentioned that is in the Centro Histórico is Trico, which is very small and not a full-service grocery. The others are:
  • Wal-Mart: far south side of town
  • Mega: far south side of town OR east side of town near Superama
  • Superama: east side of town
Any of those three is accessible by taxi, and a taxi would cost about 30-35 pesos each way.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Oct 23, 2011, 7:13 PM)

Anonimo

Oct 25, 2011, 10:42 AM

Post #5 of 8 (5523 views)

Shortcut

We are also staying in an apartment in Morelia Centro. A few days ago, I walked to the Comercial Mexicana supermarket on Av. Manuel Muñiz, about 1/2 mile or more. I was in a hurry so I didn't look over the pasta and cheese selection very closely. But I did spot a box of Barilla farfalle (bow ties or butterflies pasta) so I got that, as I'd never seen that shape before available in Mexico.

The catch was finding the entrance to the Comercial Mexicana, which is part of a small mall but the M. Muñiz entrance is hidden around a bend and there's no sign indicating its presence.
Apparently there's a main entrance on the next street to the south.

So, in the interests of better and easier shopping, I'm Google mapping the street to better locate that supermarket.

This looks as though it might well be the place. Note the large, white rectangle. http://g.co/maps/2usj8

Now, on the Comercial Mexicana website, I have found the exact address:
Manuel Muñiz no. 493. Col. Juárez
Teléfonos: 01.443.313.66.97 ,
Fax: 01.443.313.95.39

In addition to Esperanza's useful mercado suggestions, there's also the Mercado Nicolás Bravo, on the street of that name, at the intersection of Calle Granaditas. It's pretty easy to get to from where we're staying, and is a very user friendly place of manageable proportions. It's 4 or 5 blocks to the northwest of the aforementioned Comercial Mexicana and easy to get to from our apartment.

Saludos,
Anonimo

(This post was edited by Anonimo on Oct 25, 2011, 10:45 AM)

LuisaIrene

Oct 25, 2011, 2:40 PM

Post #6 of 8 (5501 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Morelia grocery shopping

Thanks yet again--this message got buried further down in my overflowing inbox. I couldn't tell from your map the names of the cross streets or the street a block south where the entrance to the mall is; do you happen to know them? Can I assume that I would be walking to the east? (I haven't been in Morelia for at least 15 years.)

Saludos,

Luisa

Anonimo

Oct 26, 2011, 6:44 AM

Post #7 of 8 (5465 views)

Shortcut

Switch the view to "Map" by clicking the small panel in the upper right hand corner. That will give you a clearer view of the streets.

But the answer is, the bounding street on the south is Zamora, the western side is Nicolás Bravo, and the street on the east side is Quintana Roo. From Zamora, you'd be entering the store lot by Jacona. However, that's the long way around, but probably where taxis come in and out.

I'll be walking over there shortly and I'll take a closer look.

However, from what you told me in a PM, where you'll be staying is a goodly ways to the northeast of that particular Comercial Mexicana.

Trico's Centro, on the west side of the Plaza d'Armas, at the head of Calle Abasolo, would be closer. (But as Esperanza indicated, it's more of a specialty fancy food store rather than a full line grocer.)

We might locate the Soriana supermarkets along Av. Solidaridad, but you'd probably need to take a cab.

As mentioned upthread, the Mercado Revolucíon (AKA Mercado San Juan) is on Av. Plan de Ayala, to the north of Ave.Madero. I prefer it to the Mercado Independencia, to the south of where you'll be staying.

But if I were seeking pasta, at a reasonable price, I'd be going to Superama, of which there's only one in Morelia, on Av. Enrique Ramirez, to the east, across from Sam's Club. (There's a MEGA Comercial Mexicana, on Artilleros de 1847, just off Enrique Ramirez, not far from Superama.)

Or perhaps the big Soriana, a little further west on Av. Camelinas, at Plaza Morelia. Soriana or Superama are your best bets for a nice variety of pasta. You'll want to take a cab in either instance.

Saludos,
Anonimo

Anonimo

Oct 28, 2011, 6:17 AM

Post #8 of 8 (5375 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Morelia grocery shopping

There's also a large Soriana on Avenida Solidaridad, but you'd probably want a cab, both coming and going. I haven't ever been in the store.

Sucursal Río (293)
Av. Solidaridad #350
Col. Lexis (sic: it is Félix Ireta)
Morelia, Michoacan . C.P.

Google Map location: http://g.co/maps/c5rnv

I can't vouch for the accuracy of the Google Map placemarker. I do know that the Hiper Soriana is on the south side of Avenida Solidaridad, not on the north as shown.

Saludos,
Anonimo

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4