Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

jerezano

Oct 18, 2011, 1:59 PM

Post #1 of 11 (6106 views)

Shortcut

Lima Beans

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello all,

Some dictionaries tell you that Lima Beans are known in Spanish speaking countries as Habas. Don't you believe it. The Haba is about the same size as the large Lima but is an off-color yellow with a strong, pungent taste far different from that of the Lima Bean. In fact, many people find the Haba distasteful.

The closest thing which I have found here in Mexico is the large white bean known as Alubia. But the taste of this bean is rather bland and lacks the delicate flavor of the Lima Bean. The small Alubia can be used as a substitute for the Navy Bean but lacks the Navy Bean flavor as well.

Perhaps Esperanza, the moderator of this forum can guide us to the proper Lima Bean and Navy Bean substitutes.

As ever, jerezano

mazbook1

Oct 18, 2011, 2:25 PM

Post #2 of 11 (6100 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Lima Beans

jerezano, You're correct, since true Haba "beans" really aren't beans at all, they are the seeds of the Haba plant, which is from a totally different family and, contrary to real beans, all of which originated in the Americas, Habas originated in the Mediterranean area.

That said, true lima beans ARE sold in México, at least in some parts of México, and they ARE labeled Habas, at least in the northwest where I live. I have cooked them any number of times, and I guarantee you, what I cooked were Lima beans, NOT Habas. They may be what you are seeing called Alubias, but in my case the ones I have cooked were definitely Lima beans, color, flavor, cooked consistency and all. I've not checked out the smaller white beans that look like Navy beans, as Navy beans weren't something I grew up with or cooked myself NOB. In my family NOB, Lima beans and Pinto beans were the only ones we ever cooked.

(This post was edited by mazbook1 on Oct 18, 2011, 2:26 PM)

Maesonna

Oct 19, 2011, 11:02 AM

Post #3 of 11 (6055 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Lima Beans

I think you've already found them. I love habas, but for their own deliciously bitter merits, I agree they are quite different from lima beans. Also like you, I use alubia grande when a recipe calls for lima beans and alubia chica for navy beans. Hungry minds think alike?

Maesonna

Oct 20, 2011, 8:09 AM

Post #4 of 11 (6024 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] Lima Beans

Here's a recipe for a faux-Mexican alubia grande dish, based on a NOB lima bean recipe. It could be classified as a sort of Mexican-inspired cassoulet. It turned out tastier than I expected from the ingredients. Enjoy!
The recipe.
How I made it.

mazbook1

Oct 26, 2011, 5:38 PM

Post #5 of 11 (5950 views)

Shortcut

Just did a shopping trip, and discovered that NOW, all the Habas are REALLY Habas, none were Lima beans as I had bought before in bags marked Habas. I guess I'm just behind the times.

Did buy a bag of Alubrias grandes and cooked them, but they sure aren't Lima beans.

Now if I can find Basil – albahaca – which I have bought before, but also now does not seem to be available, I will try Maesonna's recipe, which looks quite tasty.

MazDee

Oct 26, 2011, 6:18 PM

Post #6 of 11 (5944 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Lima Beans

David, I was just going to ask you about this. I was in Ley and looked at the Habas and could tell they weren't limas! Ah, well. Mega has fresh basil, green and purple both, in case you get in the mood for Thai.

chinagringo

Oct 26, 2011, 6:34 PM

Post #7 of 11 (5939 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MazDee] Lima Beans

Stupid question but why this much time and effort spent on lima beans? Did like them as a kid and still don't care for them as an adult! Just my opinion but they are right in there with brussel sprouts, eggplant and some other off the wall food items.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Maesonna

Oct 26, 2011, 7:33 PM

Post #8 of 11 (5928 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Lima Beans

Lima beans, brussels sprouts, eggplant: among my favourite vegetables. One of us has bizarre tastes.

@mazbook, I have about half a dozen pots of basil on my porch. More than I can use. Too bad it's so far away from you.

Rolly

Oct 26, 2011, 7:43 PM

Post #9 of 11 (5926 views)

Shortcut

Lima beans, Brussels sprouts, eggplant: among my favourite vegetables.
Me too. I make a wicked eggplant lasagna.
I love baby green limas and the big fat butter beans. YUM!

Rolly Pirate

mazbook1

Oct 26, 2011, 8:35 PM

Post #10 of 11 (5915 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for the offer, Maesonna, but MazDee just offered me some basil seeds, so I guess I'll start growing my own.

Anonimo

Oct 27, 2011, 10:38 AM

Post #11 of 11 (5878 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Lima Beans

I love alubias grandes. They are essential in Fabada Asturiana* and they also make a very tasty cool salad with a vinaigrette dressing.

*However, the ones we bought in Asturias are much larger and longer, but also costly. The ones available locally are o.k., though.

Saludos,
Anonimo

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4