Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

robt65

Oct 16, 2011, 4:36 PM

Post #1 of 15 (4704 views)

Shortcut

For Those Who Like Omelets

Can't Post | Private Reply
Speaking to a friend on here via PM, and we got to talking about dill and omelets. I also suggested he try this one. This is a favorite Sunday morning omelet that my Mexican family really enjoys. I just thought I would share this in this section. I have been cooking this one up for years.

I love many different omelets, usually packed with different meats, fish or veggies. Occasionally I like just a plain omelet laced with dill. It is light and refreshing in the morning. Here's another one for you and yours. Get some Smuckers Orange Marmalade make your typical plain omelet and when almost cooked put about 4 tablespoons of that Smuckers right in the middle across the omelet, fold the omelet from right to left and the other side from left to right. Wait a few moments for the marmalade to ooze out of either end. Serve on a plate and pour the caramelized marmalade that oozed out either end over the top of the omelet and add just a dash of either cinnamon or allspice on the top. Serve hot and enjoy. My Mexican family really likes me to cook these for them on Sunday morning. By the way any good quality ja or preserve can be used in place of marmalade. I have also used Smuckers Strawberry and Philly cream cheese together, peach etc . . . . all are good . . . . just that marmalade by Smuckers is my personal favorite.

robt65

(This post was edited by robt65 on Oct 16, 2011, 5:22 PM)

chinagringo

Oct 16, 2011, 4:47 PM

Post #2 of 15 (4697 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] For Those Who Like Omelets

I can tell that you never lived in a country with a British influence or you would never be touting Smuckers marmalade! The Brits have the recipe down pat and no American brand can even come close.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

robt65

Oct 16, 2011, 5:20 PM

Post #3 of 15 (4693 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] For Those Who Like Omelets

Ah Ha! O contrair mi amigo! I was born and lived a Canadian for many years. True the marmalade is very different under the crown or in the crown colonies, but it is the Smuckers Marmalade that I enjoy most in my omelets! It is different but only Smuckers preserves will do for my omelets.

robt65

DavidHF

Oct 16, 2011, 5:21 PM

Post #4 of 15 (4691 views)

Shortcut

One's own palate never lies.

chinagringo

Oct 16, 2011, 6:19 PM

Post #5 of 15 (4679 views)

Shortcut

So what you are saying is that you are an Americanized Canadian? While orange marmalade tends to be the standard, I have consumed some pretty incredible lime and grapefruit marmalades in my life. I was raised on the Brit brands and like anyone who remembers what it was like as a kid, that becomes our measuring stick.

However, I have never thought of it as a filing in an omelette! On proper English Muffins certainly and great with peanut butter! Then again, you have probably never considered a sharp cheddar cheese with crunchy peanut butter on a sandwich either. Absolutely great with a very cold cerveza while fishing!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Rolly

Oct 16, 2011, 6:35 PM

Post #6 of 15 (4676 views)

Shortcut

PBnJ (peanut butter and jelly) sandwiches were standard fare in my college days. (along with horse meat loaf.)
My roommate once remarked that if bread is the staff of life, peanut butter must be life itself.

Rolly Pirate

robt65

Oct 16, 2011, 6:37 PM

Post #7 of 15 (4674 views)

Shortcut

Ah ha! Just as I suspected . . . . . the English Colony that you remember and the taste of "Brit" foods always seemed to me to have tainted any foods with one of a thousand different curries to change a flavor in seconds! (smiling)

Also please note in my post that I refer to "Orange" Marmalade not lime or other citrus Marmalades and I have never seen good oranges come out of Her Majasty's gardens!

robt65

(This post was edited by robt65 on Oct 16, 2011, 6:40 PM)

robt65

Oct 16, 2011, 6:42 PM

Post #8 of 15 (4672 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] For Those Who Like Omelets

Hi rolly

I like your room mates take on Peanut butter! (smiling) I might just have to agree with him!

robt65

robt65

Oct 16, 2011, 6:44 PM

Post #9 of 15 (4672 views)

Shortcut

Certainly if you really knew English fare you know you would be flogged or sent to the tower for calling English Crumpets . . . . . English Muffins! UGH!

robt65

Rolly

Oct 16, 2011, 6:49 PM

Post #10 of 15 (4669 views)

Shortcut

I thought it is tea and strumpets.

Rolly Pirate

chinagringo

Oct 16, 2011, 7:06 PM

Post #11 of 15 (4665 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] For Those Who Like Omelets

Since Rolly and I attended the same college many years apart, I will excuse his peanut butter and jelly reference. I can say that 6 years of living in India did not make me switch over to the concept of tea and crumpets or strumpets! At the same time in the late 50's and early 60's, British products were easier to come by. Peanut butter was another story. Mom bought fresh un-roasted peanuts at the market and then roasted them in the oven. Then they were processed in the blender to a crunchy texture. Then my father took them to the laboratory at the Exxon refinery to have the concoction homogenized. Lots of work for a peanut butter fix!

One of the finest applications of the British habit of tea and whatever was at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treetops_Hotel
After checking in and observing the "quiet signs", we heard a bunch of noise on the roof of the hotel. Turned out that is was the resident monkeys coming in for afternoon tea. Nothing more enlightening that a bunch of monkeys holding a saucer and cup of afternoon tea while sitting on the railing of a jungle hotel! They too preferred the English brands of marmalade!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

(This post was edited by chinagringo on Oct 16, 2011, 7:48 PM)

Anonimo

Oct 17, 2011, 1:01 AM

Post #12 of 15 (4643 views)

Shortcut

Moving further off the OP topic, a few years ago, I noticed that a neighbor's tree was full of oranges. When I asked about them, I was told that the neighbors didn't et them as they were bitter/sour. It dawned on me that I was probably looking at a tree full of bitter oranges, suitable for making orange marmalade.

My neighbors showed up one day with a sack of about 6 or 7 kilos of oranges. I got out a recipe and went to work. It was a lot of work with many steps. I had to do the processing over several days due the limits of my cooking kettle and my personal energy. The results were good to very good, in my estimation, but toward the end of the oranges, I grew impatient and overloaded the kettle. The later jars held more like a thick, orange syrup than marmalade but were serviceable.

My Mexican friends to whom I gave a jar said that they didn't like the bittersweet taste. I suppose that it's all related to what you are used to.

I would do it again, but not on so ambitious a scale.

http://mexkitchen.blogspot.com/...sweet-mermelada.html

Saludos,
Anonimo

(This post was edited by Anonimo on Oct 17, 2011, 1:04 AM)

robt65

Oct 17, 2011, 6:09 AM

Post #13 of 15 (4634 views)

Shortcut

Sometimes it is just good clean fun to have some funny stories told. I for one enjoy these stories and I thank Rolly, Chinagringo, Anonimo and David HF for their humor on this posting.
I sure wish we had a section here on MexConnect for some light hearted humor or experiences that we could share with one another. I know there is another (very serious and strict, I might add) forum where they have a section devoted to humor and funny stories. I have noticed over the years some really great tales and humor that sure lighten a day.
If the moderator of this post sees fit, and as the original poster of this topic, I for one give my permission to allow any funny stories or experiences to be shared regarding this subject.
Thanks to you all.
Robt65

chinagringo

Oct 17, 2011, 6:38 AM

Post #14 of 15 (4631 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] For Those Who Like Omelets

I recently ran across a recipe for a Mojo marinade that called for sour oranges. Ran all over town looking for such and ended up having to combine fresh orange juice with fresh lime juice to approximate the juice of the sour orange. This recipe was somewhat similar to Arrachera and the marinade was quite effective at penetrating the meat and provided an interesting flavor when combined with garlic, olive oil, chilis, and toasted cumin seeds.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

robt65

Oct 17, 2011, 6:55 AM

Post #15 of 15 (4628 views)

Shortcut

Heres another one out of the ordinary for you Marmalade lovers . . . . . . Take a heaping tablespoon of Smuckers Marmalade (I don't vouch for other brands . . . . smiling) and add to Hot tea or coffee and stir very well, it really adds a nice flavor. A little different from the normal lemon or lime that some folks use.

I would be interested in some reports back for anyone trying this omelet recipe pro or con or maybe even some variations that I did not include.

robt65

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4