Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

robt65

Oct 12, 2011, 1:40 AM

Post #1 of 5 (5932 views)

Shortcut

Dill Availability in Central Mexico?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Can anyone provide some places in or around Queretaro where one can or should be able to find Dill? I have looked in many local places inluding Sam's Club, Commercial Mexicana and Soriana as well as some local mercados and cannot seem to find Dill.

Thanks,
robt65

jerezano

Oct 25, 2011, 10:57 AM

Post #2 of 5 (5725 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Dill Availability in Central Mexico?

Hello Robert,

In 23 years here in Mexico I have never been able to find Dill. Yet, here in Zacatecas its near relative (tastes more like anise) Fennel grows wild. So if you want Dill, then better take a good supply with you when you leave the US.

I don't know if the Dill seed offered as a spice is viable and will grow if planted, or not. Nor have I found Dill seed available in any of the seed stores in Harlingen.

Try there in Mission and McAllen.

As ever, Mel King, jerezano

robt65

Oct 25, 2011, 11:42 AM

Post #3 of 5 (5715 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Dill Availability in Central Mexico?

Hi Melvin,

I also sure have not found it. A friend on MexConnect has very nicely sent me some seeds from his Garden in Michoacán. They haven't arrived as yet but the mail here can be slow. Also another friend from Mission has sent me some he bought at the Home Depot there. One or the other should arrive before planting time! I hope! (smiling)

robt65

Gri-lango

Oct 27, 2011, 2:57 PM

Post #4 of 5 (5648 views)

Shortcut

Robert,

In DF they have them at Superama and Chedraui...but that doesn't mean they will carry them in QRO. Worth a check.

In Chedraui I found them in the Kosher section and also in the regular "jarred" section. Superama was also where all the canned and jars goods. Had both sweet and dill.

clinn

Nov 9, 2011, 7:34 PM

Post #5 of 5 (5475 views)

Shortcut

If you get the seeds, you will be in luck. We have sowed seeds in the past here in GTO and now plants pop up as volunteers all over the garden... sort of like epazote. Our climate should be very similar.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4