Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

robt65

Oct 12, 2011, 1:38 AM

Post #1 of 16 (10327 views)

Shortcut

Dill Availability in Central Mexico?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Can anyone provide some places in or around Queretaro where one can or should be able to find Dill? I have looked in many local places inluding Sam's Club, Commercial Mexicana and Soriana as well as some local mercados and cannot seem to find Dill.

Thanks,
robt65

(This post was edited by robt65 on Oct 12, 2011, 1:38 AM)

mazbook1

Oct 12, 2011, 7:50 PM

Post #2 of 16 (10299 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Dill Availability in Central Mexico?

I have NEVER seen dill – eneldo – anywhere in any store in México, neither the herb (fresh or dried) nor the seeds. I use dill quite a bit and have always either brought it down from NOB or had a friend bring it down for me. That said…

Someone grows dill in México, as the hamburger dill pickle slices (kosher, but without the garlic) sold in Sam's Club are made in México, and they are the very BEST hamburger dill slices I have ever had in my life!!! Lots of dill flavor.

(This post was edited by mazbook1 on Oct 12, 2011, 8:33 PM)

chinagringo

Oct 12, 2011, 8:06 PM

Post #3 of 16 (10296 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Dill Availability in Central Mexico?

I know or believe(?) that we saw fresh dill in the tianguis in Patzcuaro.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Anonimo

Oct 13, 2011, 2:39 AM

Post #4 of 16 (10284 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Dill Availability in Central Mexico?

Neil, I have never seen dill in the Pátzcuaro mercado, but they do sell anicillo, an anise flavored herb which has a superficial physical resemblance to dill.

Our amiga, Gaby Knöbl, who grows organic produce and sells it at the weekly Buen Provecho Mercado in Pátzcuaro grows bulb fennel, also somewhat related to dill, but of course, with a sweet anise taste. But not dill.

Dill would do well growing in the cool, damp climate of the Pátzcuaro highlands of Michoacán.

Saludos,
Anonimo

chinagringo

Oct 13, 2011, 5:48 AM

Post #5 of 16 (10279 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Dill Availability in Central Mexico?

Mike: Thanks for the clarification. Since we not food shopping, I have to admit to not looking all that closely and just probably made a poor assumption.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

tashby

Oct 13, 2011, 10:27 AM

Post #6 of 16 (10264 views)

Shortcut

I'm fairly sure the Walmart at Lake Chapala has had dried dill in the past. If there's a Walmart (or sibling) in Queretaro you might give that a look.

(This post was edited by tashby on Oct 13, 2011, 10:28 AM)

Maesonna

Oct 14, 2011, 2:50 PM

Post #7 of 16 (10229 views)

Shortcut

I have some dried dill I bought in a supermarket in Mexico City. That was some time ago; I haven't noticed whether they still carry it. I've also seen it fresh sometimes in the supermarkets, too, only occasionally.

tashby

Oct 20, 2011, 10:42 AM

Post #8 of 16 (10149 views)

Shortcut

Needed dill last night so pulled it out of the pantry. I knew I wasn't imagining it. The brand of dried dill is "Carmencita"....a product of Spain, distributed by an outfit in el D.F., naturally. It's a "regular" sized spice bottle/cylinder, green packaging, with a drawing of little Carmen on the front.

Almost certain I bought it at Walmart since that's the only store we have.

La Isla

Oct 20, 2011, 7:10 PM

Post #9 of 16 (10124 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Dill Availability in Central Mexico?

I also have some Carmencita brand dill in my pantry, which I bought at my local Superama in Mexico City.

joaquinx

Oct 21, 2011, 7:00 AM

Post #10 of 16 (10093 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Dill Availability in Central Mexico?

Terana brand of hojas de eneldo. Apparently a Mexican product as I couldn't find an import country on the label except for the Hecho en Mexico. I bought the bottle at either Mega or WalMart/Superama.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Minerva909

Feb 5, 2012, 11:02 AM

Post #11 of 16 (9123 views)

Shortcut

You can easily grow your own in a pot, just don't expect it to do well in a hot climate, so put it in a sunny window in an air conditioned house uring the hot period. If you live in the mountains you should have no problem - I grew it in Puerto Rico in a friend's garden in the mountains and it was thriving there in winter.

I lived a few miles away, on the coast and there it never wanted to grow.

Maesonna

Feb 6, 2012, 3:21 PM

Post #12 of 16 (9068 views)

Shortcut

My dill, bought at a Comercial in Mexico City, is Terana brand, hecho en México.

Anonimo

Feb 6, 2012, 6:16 PM

Post #13 of 16 (9053 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Minerva909] Dill Availability in Central Mexico?

Fresh dill weed is far superior to dried. Good for you growing it in pots. We have a bumper crop in the garden when in season.

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

rayitodeluna

Feb 9, 2012, 10:45 PM

Post #14 of 16 (8960 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
You can easily grow your own in a pot, just don't expect it to do well in a hot climate, so put it in a sunny window in an air conditioned house uring the hot period. If you live in the mountains you should have no problem - I grew it in Puerto Rico in a friend's garden in the mountains and it was thriving there in winter.

I lived a few miles away, on the coast and there it never wanted to grow.

How would it fare in a non AC house this season in northern D.F ? I loooovveeee fresh dill! My grandmother grows it back home :)

Minerva909

Feb 10, 2012, 9:25 AM

Post #15 of 16 (8940 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rayitodeluna] Dill Availability in Central Mexico?

Well, I guess it depends on temperatures there - which I unfortunately do no know.
In southern Georgia (Golden isles) it did well at this time (I did take the pot indoors if night frost was threatening) and until May, but was nonperforming all summer and started doing really well again at the end of September.

rayitodeluna

Feb 10, 2012, 9:40 AM

Post #16 of 16 (8934 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Well, I guess it depends on temperatures there - which I unfortunately do no know.
In southern Georgia (Golden isles) it did well at this time (I did take the pot indoors if night frost was threatening) and until May, but was nonperforming all summer and started doing really well again at the end of September.

Thank you for your reply! It has been anywhere between 50 and 85 here, lota of rain recently. "freezing" according to my inlaws but nicer than the snow where Im from NOTB.

I will do some google research and certainely bring it indoors if it gwts too cold. Thank you! :)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4