Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

whistler

Oct 11, 2011, 8:09 AM

Post #1 of 10 (6712 views)

Shortcut

Where to buy asian cooking ingredients?

Can't Post | Private Reply

Any suggestions where to buy Asian cooking ingredients in Mexico?

I live in Morelia and am looking for red chili paste, (typically called Sambal Oelek), made from red chilis, ginger, garlic, rice vinegar. It's a most common item in USA supermarkets, but can't find it in Morelia. A few months ago it was in Walmart in La Huerta, now its not.

Tried Trico, Superama, Mega, and Walmart. Any other place to try for this item and asian ingredients in general?

(This post was edited by whistler on Oct 11, 2011, 8:10 AM)

MazDee

Oct 11, 2011, 11:00 AM

Post #2 of 10 (6698 views)

Shortcut

Re: [whistler] Where to buy asian cooking ingredients?

Looks like it would be easy to make sambal oelek. You could make a batch and freeze it in small quantities. All the ingredients are easy to find. I don't know about other asian foods. Esperanza will probably know.

Maesonna

Oct 11, 2011, 1:08 PM

Post #3 of 10 (6682 views)

Shortcut

If you ever take a trip to Mexico City, you may want to visit Mikasa. It's located in Colonia Roma on San Luis Potosí street, about a block east of Insurgentes; get off the Metrobus at the Sonora stop. It's a Japanese grocery and prepared food store, and also carries other Asian foods.

whistler

Oct 11, 2011, 2:31 PM

Post #4 of 10 (6672 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MazDee] Where to buy asian cooking ingredients?

Your right Mazdee...I just found an easy recipe and I guess Ill just make it... All the ingredients are fresh in the tiangis. It is great for making spicy chinese cold noodles and chili shrimp. Thanks!

whistler

Oct 11, 2011, 2:33 PM

Post #5 of 10 (6671 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] Where to buy asian cooking ingredients?

I found a youtube video of Mikasa Mexico City and it does indeed have a huge selection of ingredients. I had no idea such a store existed here. I'll go there next chance I get to go to DF. Any idea if there is a similar place with Indian (Asian Indian) spices?

Anonimo

Oct 11, 2011, 3:10 PM

Post #6 of 10 (6666 views)

Shortcut

El Dragón de Oro, Calle Ernesto Pugibet, Centro, Mexico City, where the Mercado San Juan meets the plaza to the east of it. Or check at one of the Asian specialty stores within the Mercado San Juan itself.

I have been to Mikasa, and while it's great for Japanese ingredients, it didn't seem to offer much in the way of other Asian nations' ingredients. But you should go, anyway.

By the way, there's an excellent, moderately priced Mexican mariscos restaurant a few blocks away, Fonda La Veracruzana. We recently ate there twice in a few days.
PM me if you want more details,

I always look for an excuse to visit Mexico City on a food gathering expedition.

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

whistler

Oct 11, 2011, 3:36 PM

Post #7 of 10 (6659 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Where to buy asian cooking ingredients?

I Dragon de Oro an Asian grocery Anonimo? Surprisingly, I can't fiind any information about it on the internet... The youtube video of Mikasa did show a good inventory of non Japanese Asian ingredients, including Sambar Oelek.

chinagringo

Oct 11, 2011, 3:55 PM

Post #8 of 10 (6655 views)

Shortcut

You might take a look at:
http://www.toyofoods.com.mx/index.php

Depending on where you live in Morelia, it is about a four hour drive to Guadalajara where they have two locations.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Anonimo

Oct 12, 2011, 3:49 AM

Post #9 of 10 (6633 views)

Shortcut

El Dragon del Oro may not have an Internet presence, but it's there. But if you found Sambal Oelek at Mikasa, then that's a good choice, as it's in an easy to get to, congenial neighborhood.

I do have a card for Dragon. The owner is Winston Tseng, IIRC.
Yes; here it is:
The business is listed as Laplaz Light, S.A. De C.V.
"Dragon del Oro"
Alimentos y Regalos
Tinda de mayoreo y menudeo

(Address) Ing. Ernesto Pugibet No.17 (Mercado de San Juan), México, D.F.
Tel: 2488-3455 y 2475-1477 (Mexico City prefix is assumed. I think it's 55.)
Email: winstonperu(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

Google street view, looking westerly, Mercado San Juan next, on right, TelMex Torre across the street:
http://g.co/maps/f7u4w

This shows the shop in its earlier location, which has since expanded to take over the restaurant space on the corner of Plaza San Juan.

Mikasa, too, is worth a visit, but a true foodie paradise is the area of the city around Mercado San Juan. There's the first of several, rather long-winded posts on the blog, My Mexican Kitchen", which describes some of these places. http://mexkitchen.blogspot.com/...e-mexico-las-42.html

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

jrpierce

Oct 19, 2011, 6:21 PM

Post #10 of 10 (6522 views)

Shortcut

Since you live in Morelia, I'd suggest visiting Wang Jiao, a Chinese restaurant located at Avenida Universidad 695, Esq. Jesús Romero Flores. (443) 299-3534. (About three blocks from the entry to the Morelia Zoo)

The owners are Chinese, and I bet they could point you to sources for such ingredients, if indeed they exist here. You might also want to have a meal while there. For Mexico, it is not bad!

Jim

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4